Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    drewand Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 10, 2012, 09:23 AM
    Is it legal to cut working hours from full time to part time
    My company that I have worked for for nearly 20 years has been changing peoples hours with out notice by making them re-apply for other hours that are all part time 20hours or less . So if you had a job with 38 hours they would be no longer and you would have to apply for two 20 hour jobs with no guaranteeing you would be given them at all .is this legal or is saying that there is no full time hours termination of contract . If so am I entitled to redundancy .
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Sep 10, 2012, 09:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by drewand View Post
    ...is saying that there is no full time hours termination of contract ...
    Do you have a written contract? If not, there is not a law which prohibits your employer from reducing your hours or, indeed, letting you go entirely.

If, however, what you are suggesting is that they are trying to do away with overtime pay (if the law in your jurisdiction requires you to be paid a premium if you work more than 40 hours in a week), they cannot get away with a fiction that you are working two jobs for them. No, it doesn't work that way.
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Sep 10, 2012, 09:32 AM
    Sure its legal... they could also have just gone in and fired or laid off half the people too.

Be glad you still have a job at all at this point.

I'm assuming you aren't a union worker working under a contract.

You really aren't entitled to anything... but you might be able to collect partial unemployment if qualified under your states requirements if you are forced to go from full time to only 20 hours max a week.

In the short term... do what you can to keep the paycheck... and start looking for another full time job if you can find one.

Sep 10, 2012, 11:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by AK lawyer View Post
    Do you have a written contract? If not, there is not a law which prohibits your employer from reducing your hours or, indeed, letting you go entirely.

If, however, what you are suggesting is that they are trying to do away with overtime pay (if the law in your jurisdiction requires you to be paid a premium if you work more than 40 hours in a week), they cannot get away with a fiction that you are working two jobs for them. No, it doesn't work that way.
    I have an hourly 38 hour a week written contact but on other departments within the company they have just told them that they had to re-apply for there hours an some long standing full time people have been told their hours don't exist anymore. I have already lost overtime payments and have a dwindeling supplement which amounts to a pay cut each year. If they say my 38 hour contract does not exist any more is that a termination of contract.
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Sep 10, 2012, 11:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by drewand View Post
    I have an hourly 38 hour a week writen contact but on other departments within the company they have just told them that they had to re-apply for there hours an some long standing full time people have been told their hours don't exist anymore. I have already lost overtime payments and have a dwindeling supplement which amounts to a pay cut each year. If they say my 38 hour contract does not exist any more is that a termination of contract.
    What kind of contract is it exactly.. after 20 years still a contract? What did your lawyer have to say about how ironclad it really is? THese sorts of things are usually drafted by Lawyers.

What you are calling a contract might not actually be a contract... from a legal definition.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 10, 2012, 06:59 PM
    First where is this at, labor laws differ by country, in some employment contracts are more "suggestions" in other countries like US, they are enforceable.

Sep 10, 2012, 08:46 PM
    In the U.K.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is it legal to change full-time employees into part-time employees? [ 7 Answers ]

I would like to know how legal could be changing emplyees' schedulles without notice them before. I was working 40 hours each week since I started in my present job. They have been decreasing the number of hours for some employees. At this moment I'm working 32 hours each week, with 3 days off....

Student dependent visa UK, Full time or Part time work? [ 26 Answers ]

I have student visa of UK and I study in university. My wife recently came in London. She has student dependent visa. She doesn't study. Can she work full time? How many hours she can work? Thank you

Live in MA, Student in NY: Full-Time/Part-time/Non-Resident? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi- I am a 21 year old student attending a college in New York. Last summer (2007) I stayed on campus - as opposed to coming home and living with my parents in Massachusetts - and worked/earned an income through the school. However, the previous winter break, which ended in middle-January 2007, I...

View more questions Search