Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pandacaw Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2007, 01:12 PM
    Primary holder deceased
    My wife's ex-husband died in 2002. (They were divorced at time of death) He had a Providian account that they tried to collect on in 2002. She told them of his death and they tried to make her pay. She told them that she was only an authorized user and she was not paying it. (He gave her a credit card to use for necessities because he was not paying child support) She never heard another word. Today, she gets a call from a collection agency trying to collect over $6,000. (original amount was about $1,500.) She never signed anything to get a card but she is afraid he may have copied or forged her signature because he had done so in the past. :mad: What do we do? Can they come back on her after all this time and if they can, do we have to pay more than what the original amount was? The collection agency told her that the account had been sold a couple of different times and when she asked why it would have taken this long they said that any correspondence probably went to the deceased's old address. Provividian called her back in 2002 so they had a telephone number then, and it has never changed. I cannot see having to pay (if we have to at all) five years worth of interest and late charges because they just now decided to make a phone call.
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Mar 8, 2007, 01:31 PM
    First she only user of the card, she is not respondible for the debt, send them a notice stating so, demand verification of the alleged debt. Since the debt has been sold the debt collector is the original creditor, demand they produce the original contract, no contract, no claim.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can F-1 visa holder without earning be a dependent for H-1b visa holder husband? [ 10 Answers ]

I know that the question is kind of strange, but here is my situation. I am having H1b visa at present (moved from OPT to H1b last September). My wife is a student with F1 student visa (in Illinois Urbana Champaign). But she has completed her residential requirement and since last year has been...

Primary signer vs secondary card holder [ 7 Answers ]

I opened a credit card, me being the primary signer, and I basically allowed them to put my girlfirneds NAME onto another credit card, which would be the secondary card holder.. not CO-SIGNER on the credit account.. She made zero chares, and I maxed out the credit card and was unable to pay...

Primary Education [ 1 Answers ]

Can u tell me the requirements for B. Ed Primary in your country! Thanks

View more questions Search