Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mangy745 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 9, 2012, 03:16 AM
    What should my girlfriend's child call my parents?
    My girlfriend and I have been together for six months. She has met my parents. She has a child who is four years old. We want to introduce her to my parents.

It's tricky because I don't know what the child should call my parents without confusing her. Is grandma or grandpa appropriate?

It's almost silly that this is the sticking point about bringing the child into my family's life. Please help.
    LadySam Posts: 1,589, Reputation: 322
    Cats Expert

Sep 9, 2012, 03:41 AM
    I don't think that Grandpa and Grandma are appropriate,
    If your relationship ends she is left with a confused and hurt 4 year old.
    Why not Mr and Mrs (insert last name here) that's the more polite route.
    If your going for something a little more personal then Mr (first name) and Miss (first name)
    What does she call you?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 9, 2012, 05:29 AM
    First names perhaps, formal with MR and Mrs on it.

It is not proper to use grandma and grandma since this is a new relationship
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Sep 9, 2012, 05:45 AM
    Grandma and Grandpa is totally inappropriate. Why don't you ask them what they would like her to call them? That way you all will be on the same page.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 9, 2012, 08:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Mangy745 View Post
    My girlfriend and I have been together for six months. She has met my parents. She has a child who is four years old. We want to introduce her to my parents.

It's tricky because I don't know what the child should call my parents without confusing her. Is grandma or grandpa appropriate?

It's almost silly that this is the sticking point about bringing the child into my family's life. Please help.

I'm amazed by this - grandma or grandpa when you're the boyfriend of the child's mother?

Ask your parents what they'd like to be called.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 9, 2012, 08:55 AM
    Right now, Mr. and Mrs. maybe with the last name or the initial -- Mr. B. and Mrs. B. if the name is difficult to pronounce. Once you and she are married, these two people can suggest names to be called.
    Jhedeye Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 9, 2012, 09:17 PM
    There is no family relationship between her kids and your parents. Even if you get married it's only by law and not blood. If they allow it, first names are easiest for young children to learn and use. To be respectful, Mr. and Mrs.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 10, 2012, 07:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jhedeye View Post
    There is no family relationship between her kids and your parents. Even if you get married it's only by law and not blood. If they allow it, first names are easiest for young children to learn and use. To be respectful, Mr. and Mrs.

I have no problems with "steps" being called Grandma and Grandpa (or whatever) even if they are not "blood."

There can never be too many people who love a child.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Manage my girlfriend's parents [ 5 Answers ]

I'm a muslim boy and my girl friend is a hindu girl. A few menbers of my family came to know about our relation and about her caste, but they have no any problems. Even once I also told all about myself, but then also she was agree with my proposal after heard that all. And even she also want to...

Girlfriend's Parents Make Her Miserable.. [ 3 Answers ]

Good morning, and happy Turkey day. I have been going through a really rough situation with my girlfriend that I would love to get some advice on.. My girlfriend and I have been dating for over three months now, and as time progresses, I have noticed that she has become more and more depressed,...

How can I help stop my girlfriend's parents from torturing her? [ 14 Answers ]

My girlfriend has some problems with her family. She was raised by her grandmother, but she had died a while later in her life, and then my girlfriend started to live with her formal parents. Her grandmother was very kind to her, but her parents HATE her. They never wanted her, that's why she had...

Girlfriend's parents are too strict. [ 5 Answers ]

A friend of mine is having some trouble with his new girlfriend and her parents. He has been asking me for help and I'm not really sure what to tell him in his current situation so any opinion is welcomed. Okay, one of my guy friends has just started dating this girl for about two months now. They...

Can My Pregnant Girlfriend's Parents Keep Me From Seeing Her? [ 7 Answers ]

Well, I am 17, but I'm about to be 18 in less than 2 months. My girlfriend just turned 17 in January. Her parents are strict so we don't really get any time of privacy. So when we do we have as much fun as possible. And that's how she got pregnant, but the thing is her parents don't know she's...

View more questions Search