Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Severusly Posts: 5, Reputation: 2

Sep 7, 2012, 09:42 PM
    12 month old with double ear infection, fever of 103.6: what now?
    My 12 month old son has a double ear infection, the doctor prescribed Amoxicillin and Clavulanate for Oral Suspension, 4mL by mouth 2xdaily, and also Antipyrine and Benzocaine Otic Solution USP, 2 drops every 2 hours. He has been on these meds for 16 hours, but his fever keeps fluctuating between 100 to 104 degrees. He is sleeping fitfully right now, but his fever is 103.6. I feel concerned - what should I do? Do I need to call the doctor again?

Sep 7, 2012, 09:43 PM
    12 month old with 106.6 fever, double ear infection
    My 12 month old son has a double ear infection, the doctor prescribed Amoxicillin and Clavulanate for Oral Suspension, 4mL by mouth 2xdaily, and also Antipyrine and Benzocaine Otic Solution USP, 2 drops every 2 hours. He has been on these meds for 16 hours, but his fever keeps fluctuating between 100 to 104 degrees. He is sleeping fitfully right now, but his fever is 103.6. I feel concerned - what should I do? Do I need to call the doctor again?
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

Sep 7, 2012, 09:48 PM
    Have you been alternating motrin and tyenol?
    If motrin and/or tyenol brings the fever down, don't worry. Give him love and hugs and ride it out with him.

If motrin and tyenol don't bring it down at all, go to the doctor.

Sep 7, 2012, 09:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jenniepepsi View Post
    have you been alternating motrin and tyenol?
    if motrin and/or tyenol brings the fever down, dont worry. give him love and hugs and ride it out with him.

if motrin and tyenol dont bring it down at all, go to the doctor.
    Noooo... I haven't been mixing medicines, my baby is on Amoxicillin and Clavulanate for Oral Suspension, 4mL by mouth 2xdaily, and also Antipyrine and Benzocaine Otic Solution USP, 2 drops every 2 hours, as prescribed by the Doctor. Baby has been on these meds for 16 hours, but fever is still persistent. Love and hugs aren't cutting it.
    Ultra Member

Sep 7, 2012, 10:06 PM
    Ok then.

Take him to the ER. So they can give him some motrin or tyenol, and tell you to take him home.

Sep 7, 2012, 10:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jenniepepsi View Post
    Ok then.

Take him to the ER. so they can give him some motrin or tyenol, and tell you to take him home.
    Wow! Not what I was expecting. Thanks for patiently reassuring an upset mother that those medicines are okay (supposedly?) to mix. Or... you know, being polite? I can now appreciate your first comment. Thank you for your time and concern.

Anyone else, what is the word on mixing tylenol or motrin with the medications my son is on?
    Ultra Member

Sep 8, 2012, 12:17 AM
    I tried polite. Im sorry if you didn't want to take my advice. Once you find out from someone else that YES you need to give him motrin and/or tyenol to bring down his fever, I hope you follow that advice.

I hope he feels better.
    JennaC Posts: 54, Reputation: 6

Sep 8, 2012, 02:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Severusly View Post
    Wow! Not what I was expecting. Thanks for patiently reassuring an upset mother that those medicines are okay (supposedly?) to mix. Or...you know, being polite? I can now appreciate your first comment. Thank you for your time and concern.

Anyone else, what is the word on mixing tylenol or motrin with the medications my son is on?
    She was a lot nicer than how most ER doctors will treat you. :P
    TUT317 Posts: 657, Reputation: 76

Sep 8, 2012, 04:57 AM

I AM NOT A DOCTOR

But I am sure anything over 104 is dangerous. You would need to get his temperature down and get him immediate medical attention. A cool damp cloth would probably help
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Sep 8, 2012, 05:48 AM
    OUCH, your title says 106.6! Please be careful when typing.

You haven't mentioned fluids. It's important that he stay hydrated. Have you been giving him extra fluids?

It isn't for us online to say what to do regarding your doctor, but I will say that fevers under 105 are not a cause for panic in general. Call your doctor's office if you wish, give him steady supplies of water, watered down juices, broth, and so on, and take his temp not right after he drinks.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 8, 2012, 05:51 AM
    If the fever is 106.3, get the chld to the ER now.

If it is 103.6, I would still call the doctor back.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Sep 8, 2012, 06:16 AM
    You haven't answered my question about hydrating.
    Ibuprofin (the generic in Motrin) and acetaminophen (Tylenol etc) are OK to give him, but they aren't much good without LIQUIDS.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Sep 8, 2012, 06:51 AM
    Motrin then tylenol three hour later, then repeat. This is perfectly acceptable to reduce fever. The medications you have been prescribed are not fever reducers.

Sep 8, 2012, 09:13 AM
    Thank you all for your advice, especially joypulv. I definitely met 103.6, not 106.6! He is still feverish, but in the 102 range. I'm keeping an eye on liquids, and another doctor visit as backup.
    JennaC Posts: 54, Reputation: 6

Sep 8, 2012, 09:23 AM
    Thank you all for your advice, especially joypulv. I definitely met 103.6, not 106.6! He is still feverish, but in the 102 range. I'm keeping an eye on liquids, and another doctor visit as backup.
    Good luck! I hope your little one gets better soon!
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Sep 8, 2012, 03:31 PM
    Are you giving Tylenol and alternating with Motrin? Yes, it's okay to give.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Sep 8, 2012, 04:44 PM
    I have to mention, J9 is a nurse. Listen to her, she knows what she's talking about.

A fever over 103 is dangerous, and needs to be reduced. None of the meds your son is on are fever reducing meds. Those meds are to fight the infection, not the fever.

I'm glad that the 106.6 was a typo, because your child would likely be dead, or suffer brain damage at the very least if that post was accurate.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fever sinus ear infection [ 1 Answers ]

Would these be considered ER room hospital signs for antibiotic?

2 month old with fever [ 0 Answers ]

My 2 month old son has a fever of 99.7 when taken from his armpit. Today at 12 noon or so he got his vaccines. He has been on regular doses of tylknel since then. How high of an armpit temp is OK before I should call the doctor. I have heard that you should ads 1 degree to arm pit readings? HELP!

9 month old with 103+ fever [ 1 Answers ]

I took him to a clinic earlier this afternoon. They took a strep test it was negative his ear's were good. The doctor said it was probley viral. Should I take him the emergency room?

Fever and infection [ 1 Answers ]

I had back injections last Wednesday.Something is wrong, me head is feeling very hot.I have never had a fever, I'm 59 had double pneumonia 3 weeks in hosp. No fever.. also my blood pressure is high, I'm real shakey

View more questions Search