Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    blondiesmama Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2007, 10:11 AM
    Modem & Vista
    Hello! I recently purchased a Gateway computer that came with Vista Premium. I currently do not have internet at home, but service will start tomorrow. My question is, can you install an external modem (Motorola SB5101) without having the installation cd? I have the modem, but no cd to go with it... Thanks for your help!!
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Mar 8, 2007, 01:51 PM
    WHat type of modem are you referring to ?
    Dial up or DSL?

Mar 8, 2007, 01:57 PM
    It will be hi-speed internet through cable company..

The cable company said that I could "rent" a modem from them for $3 a month, but I thought I would just buy one.. got one off e-bay, good deal, but does not come with the cd.
    Nosnosna Posts: 434, Reputation: 103

Mar 8, 2007, 02:02 PM
    The Motorola SB5101 is a cable modem. It can be used with either the USB port (that's the little flat one) or an ethernet port (looks like a phone jack, but a little bit wider) to connect to the computer.

Using the USB connection should work without the CD. If it doesn't, the ethernet connection will work.

Mar 8, 2007, 02:04 PM
    Thanks for your help!!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 8, 2007, 02:05 PM
    Did you clear this with the cable company? Not all cable modems will work with all systems. Also they will probably need to get the MAC address of the modem.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

To Vista or not to Vista that is a question... [ 9 Answers ]

Does your machine have what it takes to run Windows Vista. Find out HERE with this excellent online tool. (ActiveX is needed for this test) Now personally I will be running Vista on a test box. Hey I've got to at least try and break it, but there is no way it will be on any of my live machines...

Windows vista [ 1 Answers ]

I Recently Bought A Compaq Laptop From Pc World.it Has Windows Xp. I Contacted The Techguys.co.uk As Instructed To Get My Vista Free Upgrade,to No Avail.can Someone Point Me In The Right Direction On What To Do Next,how Do I Get This Free Upgrade To Vista??

Vista and Languages [ 6 Answers ]

When I got Windows Vista, my mother installed it in Chinese. Tries to reinstall it have failed. I know there is a tool in Windows called lpksetup.exe that will help install additional languages. I searched online for the syntax for using this tool and have not figured out how to use it. I cannot...

Windows xp or vista [ 8 Answers ]

I will need new desktop within 6 months. Need advice whether to go with xp or wait for vista.

View more questions Search