Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    HR by Choice Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Sep 7, 2012, 01:05 PM
    Never Ending Appointment
    For approximately 18 months an employee has requested time off each month to attend “Couple’s Counseling” meetings lasting approximately 2 hours.

Am I within my rights as an employer to require a schedule of the remaining sessions be provided by the counselor or counseling institution?

If so, would the best method of obtaining this schedule be to have the employee ask the counselor to provide it? Or ask the employee for the contact info and request it the schedule myself?

Any advice would be appreciated.
    Doing business in the State of Oregon
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 7, 2012, 01:08 PM
    Why is the employee doing the counseling during work hours?

Sep 7, 2012, 01:14 PM
    The counseling sessions are not available before or after work hours.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 7, 2012, 02:01 PM
    Counseling is always available before or after work hours or on the weekends.

Is this a homework question?

Sep 7, 2012, 02:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Counseling is always available before or after work hours or on the weekends.

Is this a homework question?
    No, not a homework question. Just looking for input.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 7, 2012, 02:51 PM
    It is an improbable situation. Counselors make it their business to have hours that don't interfere with people's work times. I know; I'm a counselor.
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Sep 7, 2012, 02:58 PM
    It is an improbable situation. Counselors make it their business to have hours that don't interfere with people's work times. I know; I'm a counselor.
    Perhaps the person in question is lying to the OP about these meetings in order to get time off.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 7, 2012, 03:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by odinn7 View Post
    Perhaps the person in question is lying to the OP about these meetings in order to get time off.
    Or something...

Sep 7, 2012, 03:41 PM
    The employee states the counselor has no weekend or after hours time slots available. (this has not been validated) I haven't pushed this issue because I thought it would run its course before now.
    I'm not well versed in the duration of counseling services, I'm sure there are several factors to consider.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 7, 2012, 03:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by HR by Choice View Post
    The employee states the counselor has no weekend or after hours time slots available. (this has not been validated) I haven't pushed this issue because I thought it would run its course before now.
    I'm not well versed in the duration of counseling services, I'm sure there are several factors to consider.
    Require proof.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 7, 2012, 03:44 PM
    The employee is very likely lying. No counselor in his or her right mind would have hours only during the workday. The counselor would have no clients.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 7, 2012, 03:45 PM
    In which state or country is this?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Sep 7, 2012, 03:47 PM
    The employee is very likely lying. No counselor in his or her right mind would have hours only during the workday. The counselor would have no clients.
    It really depends if this is an individual counselor or if they are connected with a group, as well as the location. The PCS that is connected with the hospital I work for have bankers hours.

In the end, all the OP needs to do is to have the employee provide an excuse, a doctor's note if you will.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Sep 7, 2012, 03:48 PM
    In which state or country is this?
    Oregon.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 7, 2012, 03:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    Oregon.
    Yup. I see that at the bottom of the OP.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 7, 2012, 03:51 PM
    My post #10 - "Require proof."
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 7, 2012, 03:58 PM
    You cannot contact the counselor without the employee's written permission. But you can require that employee provide a statement from the employee that appointments are not available during off hours and an estimate of the remaining length of the counseling.

On the other hand, if the employee does her job well and the 2 hours a month does not intefere with her performance, then I would be eilling to cut her some slack.

Sep 8, 2012, 09:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    You cannot contact the counselor without the employee's written permission. But you can require that employee provide a statement from the employee that appointments are not available during off hours and an estimate of the remaining length of the counseling.

On the other hand, if the employee does her job well and the 2 hours a month does not intefere with her performance, then I would be eilling to cut her some slack.
    Thank you Scott,
    This is more of what I was looking for.

The meat of my question was about the right to obtain a schedule for the remaining counseling sessions and the proper way to obtain it.

I have a reasonable amount of HR expense, but do not claim to be an expert.
    When the issue involves counseling or treatments I prefer to tread cautiously and glean a little advise.

I appreciate the other responses, however they leaned more toward taking the actions that prompted my original question.

I allowed the employee to attend the counselling sessions for what I thought was a reasonable amount of time. Once the line between reasonable and excessive was crossed I wanted the schedule to verify the time away from work was justified.

On a side note. Yesterday afternoon I did grant the employee permission to attend the upcoming counselling session, but asked that she schedule the remaining sessions before or after work hours. She replied "I'll just stop going"

I think her response sums it up.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Sep 8, 2012, 10:26 AM
    You have been more than accommodating, especially without proof. Couple counseling shouldn't last 18 months, period. It isn't supposed to be therapy, but short term lessons in how to communicate.
    Employees don't have rights to medical privacy from their employers, contrary to what many of them think. It isn't just about lying to get off work; it's also about liability of the employer in regards to safe use of equipment, getting around the building, and endangering others either through infection, violence, or misuse of the workplace.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Appointment [ 1 Answers ]

I am portuguese national I ant to submit my marriage ducument in london consulate My reg no is>Removed<

First doctors appointment? [ 2 Answers ]

I am pregnant and have my first doctors appointment on the 25th. I know that's a little far from now, but I was wondering what to expect, do I also get an ultrasound at this visit? They are having me see a midwife, but what do you all prefer? A doctor or a midwife? I honestly do not really know the...

Dermatologist Appointment. [ 1 Answers ]

I have a dermatologist appointment this week and I need help on asking which products would be good for her to prescribe me with. I've been to a dermatologist before and he gave me Differin Gel but it was way to greasy for my skin so I had to stop using it. I have oily, blemished skin that has a...

Going in for an unscheduled appointment. [ 26 Answers ]

I am going to leave for an emergency appt with at my dr office in about fifteen minutes. I am having some really bad pelvic pains and thought it better to be safe than sorry. I am not seeing my regular dr but one of his colleagues *s*. I figured I would let everyone know what was happening and will...

View more questions Search