Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ladymin319 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 7, 2012, 11:23 AM
    Sand mix
    I need some type of grouting material for a patio made with small concrete slabs. Would this be good to use? I recently saw an application of some type of sand that was used between pavers that was then sprayed with water to set it.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Sep 7, 2012, 11:40 AM
    You didn't see what you thought you saw...

They swept sand in there all right... then vibrated or tamped it... the water was to help it settle in and compact.

Any hard grouting in a situation would crumble and break just during the wet and dry periods in summer, much less when the ground heaves when it freezes in winter.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Sep 7, 2012, 12:16 PM
    I set sand down on level ground, all grass removed, then I set my slate in, or my patio stones, or my bricks, leveling out as I go so it will be even. Then I spread more sand over the completed work, spray with a hose until it settles, next day do the same thing until stones or whatever is used is, so to speak, terra firma, and if seeing as I am a female and doing this myself, then you lady in can do it too!

It is sand you need from a garden center, they will direct you. Nothing that cements between in any way can be used for this Application, because the stones, slabs, slate whatever have to move or they crack.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Flagstone patio using sand mix [ 2 Answers ]

Can I use sand mix dry to fill in the cracks on my flagstone patio? I'd like to broom it in and then lightly mist it

How do I do heavy knock down ceiling texture,step by step an do I mix sand in with [ 1 Answers ]

How do I do a heavy knockdown on a ceiling,I have a sprayer but just can't figure out what I am doing wrong,do I need to mix sand in with the joint compound,

Mason Mix to Sand Ratio [ 1 Answers ]

I'm re-laying a small brick wall down my driveway. The bricks are basically 4x8x16 cap blocks laid on side. They're old bricks though and look like exposed aggregate concrete and not just concrete block material. I've done a little bit of work like this before but as I'm definitely a novice,...

Sand Filter is blowing out sand into my pool [ 3 Answers ]

Lately when I backwash my above ground pool, the filter blows out sand into the water. What causes this? When backwashing the filter, I turn off the pump, turn the dial to backwash and turn the pump on low. Is the pump supposed to be on during the backwash and rinse cycle?

Morter vs Sand Mix [ 3 Answers ]

What's the difference between morter and sand mix? While I'm asking there is type N and Type S morter. My application is building a concrete shower curb and base, to eventually be tiled. Thanks

View more questions Search