Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    martam Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2007, 08:46 AM
    Replumbing a house in Florida (built 1949)not on a slab
    I own a house in Miami built in 1949. I know that the plumbing has not been redone (at least for the past 30 years). The house has 3 baths which seem to be working, however one bath has been backing up. I have a feeling it needs to be replumbed. Is there any one out there that can give me a rough idea of the cost. I am thinking about refurbishing the house for sale.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 8, 2007, 12:42 PM
    Replumbing an entire house is not normally a home owner job. I'm going to guess you do not have the experience or skills to do this big of a job in light of your question. A plumber, I'd contact at least 3, can give you an good estimate. You are probably looking at $3K absolute minimum.
    nmwirez Posts: 453, Reputation: 20

Mar 8, 2007, 01:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by martam
    I own a house in Miami built in 1949. I know that the plumbing has not been redone (at least for the past 30 years). The house has 3 baths which seem to be working, however one bath has been backing up. Have the drain lines cleared and do not rebuild the plumbing if you plan to sell the house.I have a feeling it needs to be replumbed. Make sure every thing works. Let the buyer decide if there is a monetary negotiation necessary. Is there any one out there that can give me a rough idea of the cost. Sure, a replumbed house in the West runs about $15k for a 3 bedroom 2000 square foot ranch style house. I am thinking about refurbishing the house for sale. Depending on where you are located, the upgrades will be questionable. If the house is a chicken coop that needs cleaning and new carpets, then do the minimum. Have a local RE agent give you a comp estimate of worth (most agents will do this free to get the listing) but do not list until you have inputs from credible sources. Appraisals or home pre inspections run $350 on up. Do not throw away money on this, the buyer will pay for that and not at your cost.
    :) nm

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Installing a shower in a slab house [ 1 Answers ]

We are preparing to convert an existing bathroom to a handicapped access bathroom. It will entail tearing out the bathtub, and installing a roll-in shower. The house is on a slab, so we'll have to get into the concrete to move the drain to the proper location and slope the surrounding concrete...

New house slab plumbing Texas [ 1 Answers ]

Jgurley New Member Join Date: Nov 2006 Hi, I've spent the past few days trying to find information about how to do drain plumbing for a new home here in north Texas. From all my searching your answers on the 'ask me' site show the most common sense and also prove your years of...

Replumbing a Florida Slab house [ 3 Answers ]

Tom, When running new water lines in a single family, slab, Florida house, do you go through the attic? Or chop up all that concrete? If you go through the attic, do you insulate the cpvc to prevent condensation drips from leaking on your ceilings? Can you just strap the pipe over the...

Tenant built on to my house [ 2 Answers ]

What is the name of your state? OK My brother-in-law has been living in our modular home for two yrs with no rental/lease agreement, just paying us monthly. While we were out of state on a job, he built an overhanging porch onto the front of the home. He is now mad, moving out and wants to take...

1950's Florida slab house plumbing problems [ 9 Answers ]

We just bought our house in April. The plumbing has worked fine until recently. I'm trying to locate the main source of our problem and figure out how extensive it is. The shower and tub drains in the bathrooms have been backing up recently, leaving a brown gritty substance. The sink drain in the...

View more questions Search