Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Hennali Posts: 43, Reputation: 4

Sep 7, 2012, 09:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Enigma1999 View Post
    NOBODY said you said those words. You have been antagonistic with Judy from the beginning. I read this whole entire cry baby story, and quite frankly, it is YOU that has an attitude with the members. Judy is a well respected member on this site, and when you post on a Q A site, be prepared for all types of advice.
    Ok I know I didn't say those words what are you talking about? I believe it was originally posted by her. Its uncalled for of course I'm going to get ticked off by that. QUIT YELLING! I don't think I was anymore on the defense with her than she was because the first response was picking my words apart and she kept quoting and basically never giving me any training techniques. If it's a crybaby story wth are you here responding and not advising? I tried to say thank you and move on I even read her really sad story about ANSI it brought tears to my eyes. But that was rude and never should have been posted.

Sep 7, 2012, 09:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    Guys, I don't want to start a fight, but can we please get back on track?

Yes, the OP had a rocky start, she wrote a post and worded it badly, to the point were many of us saw red. We all know how ridiculous the written word is.

She was raked over the coals and then some, but came back, listened to the advice, is willing to work with her dog, and eager to learn more. I'm willing to give her more advice. If any of you aren't, that's fine, that's your prerogative, but please, stop putting a stoke in the wheel when there's someone willing to teach the person to ride.

You all know how much you mean to me, but I'm getting mad here. I'm willing to help the OP, but every time I get somewhere someone comes on and posts something about the original post, starts a spat, and everything I'm trying to do gets thrown under the bus.

If you're all upset with the OP that's your right, and I would urge you to either report the posts that made you upset, or PM the OP, but please, can we get back to the dog and how to fix this issue?

Clunk, off my soapbox. Alty is now waiting for the fit to hit the shan. :(
    I'm done for the night was supposed to be two hours ago:/. I would love to work with you. Is there a way I can just do that?
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Sep 7, 2012, 09:12 PM
    . I will not give him melatonin because it's a hormone and he is too young to be deficient and I don't want to screw his hormones up when they probably work fine.
    Yes, it is a hormone, however; it will not "screw" him up. It might actually make him a better dog.. But if you feel as if you can work around this without medications, go for it.

Yes, dogs are different personalities, and all breeds have different characteristics.. but you can do a pretty good job at grouping them together. I'm not sure where you were going with that, but an athletic dog is an athletic dog. We purchase purebred dogs because you have a good guarantee of personality and traits. So, when I mention I own sporting dogs.. they are high energy dogs that need to run.. when my old girl was young, she ran 5-10 miles a day.. if she missed a day, she was destructive and needy. After her run, she was level headed and workable. So when I mention things, its from experience.. not a guess.

My mom runs a rescue for German pointers (sporting breed), and all our dogs go into homes where they are exercised and ran until they drop. It's a must. If not, the dogs turn into problems, kind of like what you are describing.. Great dogs.. but destructive and naughty.

I think if you increased his exercise every day, these problems would start to go away. Do you live close to any BLM land? Or open space? Does he have a good recall? If so.. take him out there and make him RUN...

I just think that is his problem. I know you are getting him out, I don't need you to repeat that.. You've said it many times.. but with him getting out, and the increased stress in your home.. he needs to get out more and be tired.

I just fail to believe that obedience is what your dog needs. He knows it.. he does fine for you.. so why waste your time? I think that if he is not in sight, he should go in his crate.. but than again, if he is exhausted tired, he may not care if he is sleeping all day in a crate.

After your walk/runs, does he lay out flat and sleep for the rest of the day? If not, he needs more exercise.

I'm really going to push for increased exercise. Just try it and see if he changes any.

Sep 7, 2012, 09:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky098 View Post
    Yes, it is a hormone, however; it will not "screw" him up. It might actually make him a better dog.. But if you feel as if you can work around this without medications, go for it.

Yes, dogs are different personalities, and all breeds have different characteristics.. but you can do a pretty good job at grouping them together. I'm not sure where you were going with that, but an athletic dog is an athletic dog. We purchase purebred dogs because you have a good guarantee of personality and traits. So, when I mention I own sporting dogs.. they are high energy dogs that need to run.. when my old girl was young, she ran 5-10 miles a day.. if she missed a day, she was destructive and needy. After her run, she was level headed and workable. So when I mention things, its from experience.. not a guess.

My mom runs a rescue for German pointers (sporting breed), and all our dogs go into homes where they are exercised and ran until they drop. Its a must. If not, the dogs turn into problems, kind of like what you are describing.. Great dogs.. but destructive and naughty.

I think if you increased his exercise every day, these problems would start to go away. Do you live close to any BLM land? Or open space? Does he have a good recall? If so.. take him out there and make him RUN...

I just think that is his problem. I know you are getting him out, I dont need you to repeat that.. You've said it many times.. but with him getting out, and the increased stress in your home.. he needs to get out more and be tired.

I just fail to believe that obedience is what your dog needs. He knows it.. he does fine for you.. so why waste your time? I think that if he is not in sight, he should go in his crate.. but than again, if he is exhausted tired, he may not care if he is sleeping all day in a crate.

After your walk/runs, does he lay out flat and sleep for the rest of the day? If not, he needs more exercise.

I'm really going to push for increased exercise. Just try it and see if he changes any.
    I will try my best. We are in the process of getting a fence but it will be a couple months. We have land down at our cabin but can only make it there on the weekends. Nicks parents have land too but we have only been able to make it a couple days a week. He will rest and sleep when I do. He actually won't leave the room unless we do. If I'm sick he will literally only leave to pee and maybe get a bone. I will try to fit some extra running time in. I used to have a lot of help but nick got a new job and they are working him to death. So I have to fit what the kids needs and dog and sometimes there isn't time. However I don't think he's miserable and he shouldn't be here because he can't run everyday. Exercise does help my stress so if it's stress then I agree it would help. The melatonin thing I don't know I'm in the holistic field and working toward holistic nursing and work at a health store. I have always been told by the naturopaths it's not smart for kids they actually took it off the shelves. So maybe being a dog it's OK I will ask one of them this week.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 8, 2012, 06:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky098 View Post
    Did I not say this was stress induced... Geez... Guess all my advise gets ignored ... :-/

I actually your lips moving and heard what you said. I never understand how/why one person (and, in your case, licensed) is ignored and someone new gets applause.

Go figure!
    Uber Member

Sep 8, 2012, 06:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Hennali View Post
    They think I just ticked a lot of dog lovers off with my opening statement and they can't really help you without seeing you with your dog and not to take it to heart.

Then I would assume you are going to stop posting? Why is "seeing a dog" that is "pooping and peeing" in the house necessary. Seems pretty clear cut to me.

At any rate I also took my puppy into the Vet today and asked him if dogs hold grudges, have human emotions. He said no. I know you don't believe that.

He DID say that he sees dogs all the time that become un-housebroken or choose to "pee and poop" in front of the owner for the attention or because of stress. Then the owner pays more attention, does whatever reassures the dog, and the problem stops.
    Ultra Member

Sep 8, 2012, 07:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    He DID say that he sees dogs all the time that become un-housebroken or choose to "pee and poop" in front of the owner for the attention or because of stress. Then the owner pays more attention, does whatever reassures the dog, and the problem stops.
    Dogs that start acting out for attention is the worse! They love attention and will feed off both negative and positive. So really the only way to solve the problem is to ignore the bad behavior and really praise the good.. Most owners are not disciplined enough to do that. :(
    Ultra Member

Sep 8, 2012, 07:55 AM
    The melatonin thing idk I'm in the holistic field and working toward holistic nursing and work at a health store. I have always been told by the naturopaths it's not smart for kids they actually took it off the shelves. So maybe being a dog it's ok I will ask one of them this week.
    I am not big on pushing drugs, but if it comes down to a dog keeping his home and allowing the owners to not stress over the dog, its worth it. Especially if this upturn in your home is temporary. I am all for fixing the problem, not covering it up.

A majority of vets do not know behavior and can tell you how to fix it. There are some out there specialized in behavior, but its typically more alphabets behind their name. So to ask a vet about complex behavior problems, they will typically push a pill.

Give it the good college with increased exercise as much as you possibly can and see where he is by next Saturday.
    Uber Member

Sep 8, 2012, 07:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Enigma1999 View Post
    How much would a fee for something like that be.....

Depends on whether he's neutered or the new owner has to pay for the surgery.
    Uber Member

Sep 8, 2012, 08:02 AM
    ... The melatonin thing idk I'm in the holistic field and working toward holistic nursing and work at a health store. I have always been told by the naturopaths it's not smart for kids they actually took it off the shelves. So maybe being a dog it's ok I will ask one of them this week.

Now this interests me - there's a degree in holistic nursing? That's something I've never heard before.

Where would a holistic nurse work?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

6 year old boxers suddenly peeing and pooping in the house? [ 3 Answers ]

We recently moved to a new house and our two boxers, males 6 years old, started peeing and pooping in the house, even though they are let out regularly. They both sleep in kennels at night (always have). Any ideas. Could they be mad that we moved. The yard is somewhat smaller than they are used...

8 month old Boxer peeing in the house [ 4 Answers ]

I have an 8 month old Boxer who has peed in the house twice over the last two months. Once was on the couch almost two months ago and the other was on the floor today. My husband feels that putting the dog outside and making her an outside dog is the answer, after hitting her and throwing her...

Why is my 10 year old Yellow Lab peeing/pooping in the house? [ 6 Answers ]

I need help! My 10 year old lab Bella has had 4 accidents this week. We did get a new dog a year ago, and she is house broken. We woke up twice this week and she pooped in the middle of the floor in the living room. We came home once this week and she had peed on the rug in the living room. Then...

My 13 year old cocker spainel won't stop pooping and peeing in the house/ furniture [ 4 Answers ]

My male dog won't stop peeing and pooping I woke up today and he did it again and then when I got home from work he did it again. We let him out constantly when we can... every morning when we wake up.. sometimes when he eats his breakfast we let him out. Before lunch and after and after dinner....

4 year old dog pooping and peeing in house [ 1 Answers ]

We have a four year old husky that we adopted from a rescue sheltre when he was 1 year old and he was already housetrained. We never used to have problems with him since we were always very good about letting us know when he had to go outside. A little while ago when I came home one day I saw that...

View more questions Search