Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 6, 2012, 05:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Hennali View Post
    ... However, can it be anything other than my training? I don't have pride to swallow seriously I will admit when I am wrong. I am a very open minded person but this is pretty stressful and constant work.

The bad news is that owning/raise a dog is pretty stressful and constant work.

Eventually they are adults, but that takes time.

Maybe the dog is somehow "flawed." If so, yes, he needs someone with experience in training dogs. If it's a behavioral issue, well, the best you can do is work with him BUT the older he gets, the more ingrained the "bad" behavior the less likely he is to find a loving owner in the future if you can't handle him.

I don't know anyone else's stand on things - I'm not a big "Dog Whisperer" fan. I have large breed dogs. My dogs outweigh me by about 40 pounds. Maybe the "wrestle the dog to the ground, pin him on his back, show dominance" works for other people. It's not an option for me due to my dogs' basic nature and our size difference.

I don't know what anyone else here thinks. Half an hour of occasional TV is good TV but not necessarily good dog training.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Sep 6, 2012, 05:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    Yes, beagles trump GSDs every day. Beagles do not go to College on scholarships.
    Beagles are adorable, great with kids, one of the healthiest breeds out there, breed of choice (sadly) for animal testing because of their lack of genetic defects.

But, a s whole, I've met slugs that are smarter and easier to train. ;)

Bottom line, I love our beagle bum. Love him so much. But he's the hardest dog I've ever had. He's been the hardest to train, and he's the one that's the cause of most issues (getting loose and running into traffic, not coming when called, walking him is a nightmare). I'm not a dog novice, I know dogs, but he's a trial. He's with us because despite all the difficulties, he's a good dog. I love the little bugger. Not once have I ever uttered the words "I can't stand him".

In other words, no, no scholarships for beagles. They're not a smart breed. But the good far outweighs the bad. But, getting to the good means a lot of work. A lot of work! That's true for any dog, but even more so for beagles.

This poster isn't putting in the effort. Boxers aren't dumb dogs. Who's to blame here? The owner. Even though the owner doesn't want to hear it. Who's suffering because of it? The dog. This dog needs a new home, with someone willing to put in the time and effort to make him a good dog. The OP isn't that person.
    Hennali Posts: 43, Reputation: 4

Sep 6, 2012, 05:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    Re-home him. I won't go into a detailed post about why, but that's my advice to you.

I have a stubborn breed too, much more stubborn, and stupid, than a boxer. I have a beagle. Cute as all get out, but dumber than a post. Training him has been a never ending struggle. But guess what? He's potty trained. I work, so does my husband. But he never has an accident. Why? I work at it every day. I work with him. When someone tells me that I'm not being a good pet owner, I listen!

You're making excuses.

Here's my take on this. You posted here because you wanted someone to tell you that you're not a horrible person because you hate your dog. I agree with that. You're not a horrible person. Neither is the dog. You're just not someone that should have a dog, and that's not a bad thing. Not everyone is cut out for this, it's a lot of work, commitment, and the whole family needs to be on board. It sounds like your family isn't.

You gave it a try and it didn't work. You don't want the dog, you're not willing to put in the work to train the dog, you're busy, and he's ticking you off, you can't stand him, and that's a quote.

He's not even 2. Right now he could be re-homed, and if it's the right home, he could become the dog he's meant to be, and he could be happy. If you keep him it will only get worse, and I know that sounds like criticism. It really isn't. I'm telling you that it's okay for you to give this dog to someone else. I'm not criticizing you. I'm saying that you're right. You shouldn't have a dog. That's not a bad thing. You're not ready for a dog. It's as simple as that.

Read this, and realize that I'm really not trying to be mean. I'm telling you the truth, based on what you wrote. You shouldn't have this dog. You can't handle this dog. You shouldn't have a dog period. Let him be a dog, and learn to be a good dog. Give him that chance. Find him someone that is willing to put in the time and effort. There's no shame in saying you don't have the time, and can't put in the effort. No shame at all.

You're crying because you feel bad for not wanting this dog. But crying about it isn't helping anything. Who suffers the most? The dog. Give him a chance!
    So you get That he should be rehomed from my complaining of him pooping and peeing in the house when we are standing right there? But he is fine when we are away. I think there are other answers to this I don't believe that what you have basically said is he needs trained. I have answered your questions but you haven't given me one training example. How many times should I was him and run him a day. Twice a day isn't enough? I mean I guess I don't get how you state you will help and after I tell you how much I do with him instill haven't been advised on why he doing it except it's my fault it can't be separation issues., but where is this is how to fix it..
    Uber Member

Sep 6, 2012, 05:40 PM
    [QUOTE=Hennali;3261882]

He stays out of his crate. His crate was taken down. He stays out in our house no accidents. I said I walk him twice a day and he gets a run in four times a week at is all I have time for. I have a hard time believing many people even run with their dogs or even walk them and have seen many who are never outside except to potty that do not have this issue. I believe playing with the dog here everyday for hours is also exercise. I live in a neighborhood so cannot let him run. We taken once or twice a week to run at his parents without a leash bc they live in the country. I don't know if exercise is the issue he's in very good shape and the best looking boxer my vet claims he's ever seen. I do agree though he would be better with a place to run everyday. I have read it can be separation anxiety so how would I as his trainer help him with that? During the day we put a radio on if no one is here. But like in the kitchen he is basically two feet from us being in the living room. I am not saying it is not my fault but I do know I do ore for that dog than anyone I know does for their dog but mine has the issue. However, they also have dogs that are a little older.
    Law or no law it is irresponsible to allow a dog to run. My dogs are on a fenced acre.

I don't know what "many people" do. I only know what I do.

A radio is not the same as having people, companionship. As I type this I have a dog on my feet. He likes the personal contact, always has.

My dogs also have the run of the house - they are where I am. Seeing you from another room may not be enough.

I am getting nowhere on this thread. I think you are defensive (as Alty said very well): "I have a hard time believing many people even run with their dogs or even walk them and have seen many who are never outside except to potty that do not have this issue. I believe playing with the dog here everyday for hours is also exercise. ... I don't know if exercise is the issue he's in very good shape and the best looking boxer my vet claims he's ever seen."

I've given you my best advice as a person who worked in rescue, who has had a number of dogs. I realize you have a "hard time believing" what other people do and don't do. It's not about what you believe and don't believe. It's what works and doesn't work.

Your beliefs and whatever you are doing for/with your dog are not working - you have a problem dog, and until you are open to answers and don't take them personally this thread will go nowhere.

I can only give you advice based on what you posted, and I have. I believe you are looking for someone to "blame" for the problem" - I do with him instill haven't been advised on why he doing it except it's my fault." He isn't raising himself. You are raising and training him. Yes, it's your fault if you don't have the time, money, energy to train him. I'm not raising your dog so it's certainly not my fault!

I wish you luck, I truly do.
    Pets Expert

Sep 6, 2012, 05:44 PM
    So you get That he should be renamed from my complaining of him pooping and peeing in the house when we are standing right there? But he is fine when we are away. I think there are other answers to this I don't believe that what you have basically said is he needs trained. I have answered your questions but you haven't given me one training example. How many times should I was him and run him a day. Twice a day isn't enough? I mean I guess I don't get how you state you will help and after I tell you how much I do with him instill haven't been advised on why he doing it except it's my fault it can't be separation issues.,,but where is this is how to fix it..
    I posted many times, and you didn't respond. I gave up.

I was, and still am, willing to help. But all you ever posted was "I'm busy, I do so much, I don't have a fence, I'm the only one caring for this dog, my fiance does nothing, I don't like this dog, I'm doing everything right".

Not once did you ever say "I'm willing to learn, willing to listen, willing to do things right". So I gave up.

If you want my help, want to keep this dog, want to make him a part of the family, it's going to be a lot of work. It's not going to be one post from me, minimal effort from you, and hocus pocus, it's all fixed.

I'm willing to do this. I'm willing to help. Are you ready and willing to answer some of my questions, and to put in the time and effort to do this? If you are, I'm here, ready, willing and able to help. But be honest with yourself. Are you going to listen, or are you going to give me excuses? If you're in, you have to be all in. It's time to ante up.

I'm not Cesar Millan. The shows you watch are an hour long. No one can fix this in an hour, not even Cesar. If you're in, you're in it for the long haul. If you can commit to that, stop making excuses, then I'm here, and I'll help. But I won't waste my time. So what's it to be? Do you want my help? Can you sit back, listen, and implement what I tell you? If you can, we can begin. But be honest with yourself. Be honest with me.

Sep 6, 2012, 05:48 PM
    The bad news is that owning/raise a dog is pretty stressful and constant work.

Eventually they are adults, but that takes time.

Maybe the dog is somehow "flawed." If so, yes, he needs someone with experience in training dogs. If it's a behavioral issue, well, the best you can do is work with him BUT the older he gets, the more ingrained the "bad" behavior the less likely he is to find a loving owner in the future if you can't handle him.

I don't know anyone else's stand on things - I'm not a big "Dog Whisperer" fan. I have large breed dogs. My dogs outweigh me by about 40 pounds. Maybe the "wrestle the dog to the ground, pin him on his back, show dominance" works for other people. It's not an option for me due to my dogs' basic nature and our size difference.

I don't know what anyone else here thinks. Half an hour of occasional TV is good TV but not necessarily good dog training.
    I watch and use those techniques it is more than just watching a show. I have read a boxer book and have spoke with his vet. I looked into training and did research in training with a company around here but research showed it wasn't a good choice. Plus it was a lot of money. I basically am willing to admit OK so it's my fault but what is the problem I walk and run him he has a dog he plays with. Sure he could use more time outside but I do what I can. He constantly plays with the other dog here. Which never goes outside for a walk might I add and is overweight but he behaves. Or he may just be depressed I don't know. I don't agree with whomever stated regime him without saying this is what you can do to stop the peeing and pooping. He does is right in front of us and never when we aren't here. So what training method can I use to work with him?

Sep 6, 2012, 05:56 PM
    Beagles are adorable, great with kids, one of the healthiest breeds out there, breed of choice (sadly) for animal testing because of their lack of genetic defects.

But, a s whole, I've met slugs that are smarter and easier to train. ;)

Bottom line, I love our beagle bum. Love him so much. But he's the hardest dog I've ever had. He's been the hardest to train, and he's the one that's the cause of most issues (getting loose and running into traffic, not coming when called, walking him is a nightmare). I'm not a dog novice, I know dogs, but he's a trial. He's with us because despite all the difficulties, he's a good dog. I love the little bugger. Not once have I ever uttered the words "I can't stand him".

In other words, no, no scholarships for beagles. They're not a smart breed. But the good far outweighs the bad. But, getting to the good means a lot of work. A lot of work! That's true for any dog, but even more so for beagles.

This poster isn't putting in the effort. Boxers aren't dumb dogs. Who's to blame here? The owner. Even though the owner doesn't want to hear it. Who's suffering because of it? The dog. This dog needs a new home, with someone willing to put in the time and effort to make him a good dog. The OP isn't that person.
    It's funny I still haven't seen one post that gives me another advice than to work with him. If you read all my post I do put in time with him. I am here because whatever I am doing is not working therefore, please give me something I can use to help. The dog is usually happy and playful. He isn't suffering. Mpoy shouldn't jump to conclusions idiot could go back and take out the I can't stand part I would. Mbut I was upset so I went away sat down and have been trying to get advice. Just stating Rehomed him or it's my fault doesn't give me any advice you can't get from these posts that he is miserable and is suffering. I'm sure others have had trouble with dogs in training and have worked with them. I have tried I have answered everyone's questions but cannot get anyone to simply state try this... or maybe if you did this instead when you done want him in the kitchen... or maybe not letting him in the kitchen is wrong... I don't know but geesh I'm really trying to get some help with this.

Sep 6, 2012, 05:59 PM
    [QUOTE=JudyKayTee;3261900]

Law or no law it is irresponsible to allow a dog to run. My dogs are on a fenced acre.

I don't know what "many people" do. I only know what I do.

A radio is not the same as having people, companionship. As I type this I have a dog on my feet. He likes the personal contact, always has.

My dogs also have the run of the house - they are where I am. Seeing you from another room may not be enough.

I am getting nowhere on this thread. I think you are defensive (as Alty said very well): "I have a hard time believing many people even run with their dogs or even walk them and have seen many who are never outside except to potty that do not have this issue. I believe playing with the dog here everyday for hours is also exercise. ... I don't know if exercise is the issue he's in very good shape and the best looking boxer my vet claims he's ever seen."

I've given you my best advice as a person who worked in rescue, who has had a number of dogs. I realize you have a "hard time believing" what other people do and don't do. It's not about what you believe and don't believe. It's what works and doesn't work.

Your beliefs and whatever you are doing for/with your dog are not working - you have a problem dog, and until you are open to answers and don't take them personally this thread will go nowhere.

I can only give you advice based on what you posted, and I have. I believe you are looking for someone to "blame" for the problem" - I do with him instill haven't been advised on why he doing it except it's my fault." He isn't raising himself. You are raising and training him. Yes, it's your fault if you don't have the time, money, energy to train him. I'm not raising your dog so it's certainly not my fault!

I wish you luck, I truly do.
    So the one advice I got from this was maybe its he doesn't like being in the other room. Mi have practically been begging for someone to tell me what I'm doing wrong and what training tech I can use.
    Pets Expert

Sep 6, 2012, 06:03 PM
    I watch and use those techniques it is more than just watching a show. I have read a boxer book and have spoke with his vet. I looked into training and did research in training with a company around here but research showed it wasnt a good choice. Plus it was a lot of money. I basically am willing to admit ok so it's my fault but what is the problem I walk and run him he has a dog he plays with. Sure he could use more time outside but I do what I can. He constantly plays with the other dog here. Which never goes outside for a walk might I add and is overweight but he behaves. Or he may just be depressed idk. I don't agree with whomever stated regime him without saying this is what you can do to stop the peeing and pooping. He does is right in front of us and never when we aren't here. So what training method can I use to work with him?
    Potty training 101.

Take the dog outside. You have to go with him, on or off leash. I'd recommend on leash since you don't have a fenced yard. Give your potty command, I use "potty time", but you can choose whatever you want. Don't make it too long, ex: "it's time to go potty outside". One or two words at the most.

When the dog potties, party time. Tons of praise, a treat, lots of "you're such a good boy. What a good boy! Good boy! Good boy!" and lots of pats, pets and praise.

When he potties inside and you catch him doing it, a firm "NO!" and then take him directly outside. Stop him mid stream or mid poo if you can. Go outside, use the potty word, and do not leave the yard until he potties. When he does, go to step one, major praise, treats, etc.

The thing is, your dog is a dog. Dogs aren't people. Dogs learn to live with people, because long ago people realized how wonderful dogs can be. But, dogs are still dogs. They don't come into your home knowing that peeing and pooing in the house is not okay. They don't know that eating food that you left on the table isn't okay. They don't know that eating your shoes isn't okay. If they're not taught what you want from them, they do what instinct tells them to do.

Is it easy? Heck no. It's a lot of work. But, if you want a dog, then you have to put in the work. If you can't do that, then you shouldn't have a dog. That's my point.

Sep 6, 2012, 06:04 PM
    I posted many times, and you didn't respond. I gave up.

I was, and still am, willing to help. But all you ever posted was "I'm busy, I do so much, I don't have a fence, I'm the only one caring for this dog, my fiance does nothing, I don't like this dog, I'm doing everything right".

Not once did you ever say "I'm willing to learn, willing to listen, willing to do things right". So I gave up.

If you want my help, want to keep this dog, want to make him a part of the family, it's going to be a lot of work. It's not going to be one post from me, minimal effort from you, and hocus pocus, it's all fixed.

I'm willing to do this. I'm willing to help. Are you ready and willing to answer some of my questions, and to put in the time and effort to do this? If you are, I'm here, ready, willing and able to help. But be honest with yourself. Are you going to listen, or are you going to give me excuses? If you're in, you have to be all in. It's time to ante up.

I'm not Cesar Millan. The shows you watch are an hour long. No one can fix this in an hour, not even Cesar. If you're in, you're in it for the long haul. If you can commit to that, stop making excuses, then I'm here, and I'll help. But I won't waste my time. So what's it to be? Do you want my help? Can you sit back, listen, and implement what I tell you? If you can, we can begin. But be honest with yourself. Be honest with me.
    I'm sorry I didn't respond I was responding as I saw the posts coming. Apparently, I didn't see yours. I have asked a number of times on these post for training advice and have stated I am open minded. The only post I said I can't stand him was the first one because I was in tears and very upset. I am not making excuses I have answrered questions truthfully so no one just assumes one thing. My dog sleeps with me every night I love him I do work with hi. It is apparent something is wrong with what I am doing but that doesn't mean I shouldn't be a dog owner and rehome him as a couple people have stated. I would live some real advice. I can't be on here much linger tonight because it is past my night walk with him and my kids bedtime. I will continue to get on here when I can. Thank you.
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Sep 6, 2012, 06:06 PM
    What about a cable runner? It's not ideal, but you can put him outside without him running at large...
    Pets Expert

Sep 6, 2012, 06:10 PM
    I'm sorry I didn't respond I was responding as I saw the posts coming. Apparently, I didn't see yours. I have asked a number of times on these post for training advice and have stated I am open minded. The only post I said I can't stand him was the first one because I was in tears and very upset. I am not making excuses I have answrered questions truthfully so no one just assumes one thing. My dog sleeps with me every night I love him I do work with hi. It is apparent something is wrong with what I am doing but that doesn't mean I shouldn't be a dog owner and rehome him as a couple people have stated. I would live some real advice. I can't be on here much linger tonight because it is past my night walk with him and my kids bedtime. I will continue to get on here when I can. Thank you.
    I accept that.

I posted potty training advice. Please do read it. It's on this thread, a post above yours.

I will say, he's not a baby, you're going back to basics with him. Are his issues because of you, training, lack of training, separation anxiety? That I can't tell you without seeing your dog. But, the training techniques I posted, it's good advice. It won't happen overnight. You'll have to work at it, and be consistent with it. Give it at least a month, and be honest with yourself when you're doing it. Are you being consistent? Are you putting in the effort? Again, not judging, but you have to be all in, or not at all. Dogs aren't something you can be into a little bit. When it comes to training, you have to give it your all, and consistency, positive reinforcement, is the key.

I'm willing to work with you. Are you willing to work with your dog? If so, I'll be here. I'm not here 24/7, but post when you can, and I'll reply when I can. If that works for you, I'll be here, and I'll give you the best advice I can.

Heck, if I can train a beagle, I can train a boxer. ;) :)

Sep 6, 2012, 06:12 PM
    Potty training 101.

Take the dog outside. You have to go with him, on or off leash. I'd recommend on leash since you don't have a fenced yard. Give your potty command, I use "potty time", but you can choose whatever you want. Don't make it too long, ex: "it's time to go potty outside". One or two words at the most.

When the dog potties, party time. Tons of praise, a treat, lots of "you're such a good boy. What a good boy! Good boy! Good boy!" and lots of pats, pets and praise.

When he potties inside and you catch him doing it, a firm "NO!" and then take him directly outside. Stop him mid stream or mid poo if you can. Go outside, use the potty word, and do not leave the yard until he potties. When he does, go to step one, major praise, treats, etc.

The thing is, your dog is a dog. Dogs aren't people. Dogs learn to live with people, because long ago people realized how wonderful dogs can be. But, dogs are still dogs. They don't come into your home knowing that peeing and pooing in the house is not okay. They don't know that eating food that you left on the table isn't okay. They don't know that eating your shoes isn't okay. If they're not taught what you want from them, they do what instinct tells them to do.

Is it easy? Heck no. It's a lot of work. But, if you want a dog, then you have to put in the work. If you can't do that, then you shouldn't have a dog. That's my point.
    We take him out on a leash and he Gets walked. So, if he doesn't have accidents during the day when I'm not here and has been fully potty trained for a long time now is where I'm confused. I have read (yes on the Internet where it may be wrong) that they are stubborn and may get upset and act out. Is this not true?
    Magpie95 Posts: 97, Reputation: 14

Sep 6, 2012, 06:16 PM
    I have a 3 year old boxer. She stays in the house while I am at work all day. She does really well. Doesn't chew, pee, poop, etc.. for around 11 hours during the day. There are a few things I have learned about boxers from having one and meeting others. 1.) Boxers get bored. They LOVE exercise and get restless and agitated. Try walking the dog regularly. I walk mine in the morning and in the evening. So, she is relaxed during the day and nice and tired at bedtime.
    2.) Boxers are smart. And as was said before, they can pick up on your energy. You are the alpha in the house... the leader. If you are stressed and worried, it shows up in the dog. Learn some stress reducing tactics. Breathe. Remember, she is going to learn from you. I heard once, "You want a better dog, be a better person." Not that you are bad, but you get the point.
    3.) I have to disagree about the dogs don't get revenge. Boxers do. If my dog is mad at me, she dramatically turns and sits with her back to me. And she use to pee in front of my bedroom door. That was when she was young. But you have to work with them to get them out of the habit. And the crate method has been the most successful for me.
    4.) Boxers are very verbal. You may notice your dog making some strange noises at you. Not really a bark or growl or whine.. something different. They do this when they are bored, trying to get your attention, or need to go to the bathroom.

If you can work it out, boxers are very sweet and great guard dogs. Good luck!

Sep 6, 2012, 06:21 PM
    I accept that.

I posted potty training advice. Please do read it. It's on this thread, a post above yours.

I will say, he's not a baby, you're going back to basics with him. Are his issues because of you, training, lack of training, separation anxiety? That I can't tell you without seeing your dog. But, the training techniques I posted, it's good advice. It won't happen overnight. You'll have to work at it, and be consistent with it. Give it at least a month, and be honest with yourself when you're doing it. Are you being consistent? Are you putting in the effort? Again, not judging, but you have to be all in, or not at all. Dogs aren't something you can be into a little bit. When it comes to training, you have to give it your all, and consistency, positive reinforcement, is the key.

I'm willing to work with you. Are you willing to work with your dog? If so, I'll be here. I'm not here 24/7, but post when you can, and I'll reply when I can. If that works for you, I'll be here, and I'll give you the best advice I can.

Heck, if I can train a beagle, I can train a boxer. ;) :)
    I know he's smart that's why I wouldn't put it passed him to do it because he was mad at me:). I don't know if it is the potty training. Idk maybe it is. Meh does fine wi that.m we crate trained him and slowly weened him out when he didn't have any accidents. He did it today and sat next to it like haha I told you JFK but that's how I took it at the time because he had just did the same thing an hour before and right after I said out of the kitchen both times. I did not take him out immediately. I showed him and said no and got to work cleaning up. Next time I will take him out. We recent,y had big changes in our home with my sister and her and her family wi their dog moving in. It has been quite a struggle and their dog sheds a fur coat everyday so I have double the cleaning. The dogs get along which is great. Also, why does my dog whine when my fiancé and I hug or kiss. He literally says mom (we trained him that and love you:) whines and barks at us. Is this a jealousy issue? He normally has at least one person here with him. My sister is basically on bed rest pregnant so she can't takes him out and play. But the dogs play. We are a very busy family but the kids adore him and I want to do what I can to keep him here.
    Uber Member

Sep 6, 2012, 06:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Magpie95 View Post
    ... 3.) I have to disagree about the dogs don't get revenge. Boxers do. If my dog is mad at me, she dramatically turns and sits with her back to me. And she use to pee in front of my bedroom door. That was when she was young. But you have to work with them to get them out of the habit. And the crate method has been the most successful for me.
    4.) Boxers are very verbal. You may notice your dog making some strange noises at you. Not really a bark or growl or whine..something different. They do this when they are bored, trying to get your attention, or need to go to the bathroom.

I'm sure one of "our" Vet Techs or training experts will join us, and I am not arguing with your experience. This, however, is what I read from a trainer with 20 years experience: "And, today I had a dog owner that tried to convince me that her dog pooped or peed in the hall as some kind of retribution for any indiscretion it assumed the owner had shown against it.

But I know that dogs are simple. They don’t spend their days planning ways to get back at us. They don’t feel guilt after the fact. Like it or not dogs live in the moment.

If he pooped or peed in the house after he got in trouble, it is probably because the confrontation made him need to go potty and he was afraid to come and tell you or spend time with you when you’re angry.

Does stress ever make you need to visit the bathroom? Stress and confusion can cause a dog to make a mistake.

People plan revenge, but revenge and the repercussions and planning of it is not in a dog’s vocabulary or ability. They are just not sneaky creatures! We cannot always anthropomorphize everything a dog does." Dogs Are Simple People
    Pets Expert

Sep 6, 2012, 06:28 PM
    We take him out on a leash and he Gets walked. So, if he doesn't have accidents during the day when I'm not here and has been fully potty trained for a long time now is where I'm confused. I have read (yes on the Internet where it may be wrong) that they are stubborn and may get upset and act out. Is this not true?
    You haven't met stubborn until you've had a beagle. ;)

All dogs can be "stubborn", according to people. I will admit that some dogs are harder to train than others. Boxers really don't fall into that category. They're actually a very intelligent breed.

What am I trying to say? A dog that some people deem stubborn, is usually a dog that's not trained properly. Again, I'm not blaming you. I'd bet that this is your first dog. Everyone that loves dogs has to have a first dog.

Don't get your info on the net. Okay, I realize that we're on the net too, but one thing I can say about this site, after 4 years here, the people that post here, they know their stuff. I trust them (and me) above anyone. I trust them more than my vet, and there have been many times that I've proven my vet wrong because of my knowledge and because of what I've learned here from other experts.

The only downside to this site is that we have to do everything in writing. Writing is the worst form of communication ever! It sucks the big one! It's impossible. That's why most people get frustrated with sites like this. They write a one paragraph question, say one negative thing, and the people that read it can't help because there's not enough info, or they see the one negative comment and can't get past it.

In other words, I'll have to ask questions, we all will. The more honest you are (even if you think it makes you look like a bad dog owner), the better our advice. We can only go by what you tell us. We can only write what we know. You have to be honest with us, and realize that we really can't solve problems in one post. It may take a while.

If you meet me half way, I'll be there waiting. But you have to be honest with me. I may not like what you tell me, but I'll pass it over, and give you advice. But first, you need to stop blaming yourself, or thinking that everyone else is blaming you. If you never walk your dog, I need to know that. If you hit your dog when he potties in the house, I need to know that. If I ask a question, it's not a question in order to judge you, it's a question I need answered so that I can tell you what you need to do.

If you can agree to that, I'm in. :)

Sep 6, 2012, 06:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Magpie95 View Post
    I have a 3 year old boxer. She stays in the house while I am at work all day. She does really well. Doesn't chew, pee, poop, etc..for around 11 hours during the day. There are a few things I have learned about boxers from having one and meeting others. 1.) Boxers get bored. They LOVE exercise and get restless and agitated. Try walking the dog regularly. I walk mine in the morning and in the evening. So, she is relaxed during the day and nice and tired at bedtime.
    2.) Boxers are smart. And as was said before, they can pick up on your energy. You are the alpha in the house...the leader. If you are stressed and worried, it shows up in the dog. Learn some stress reducing tactics. Breathe. Remember, she is going to learn from you. I heard once, "You want a better dog, be a better person." Not that you are bad, but you get the point.
    3.) I have to disagree about the dogs don't get revenge. Boxers do. If my dog is mad at me, she dramatically turns and sits with her back to me. And she use to pee in front of my bedroom door. That was when she was young. But you have to work with them to get them out of the habit. And the crate method has been the most successful for me.
    4.) Boxers are very verbal. You may notice your dog making some strange noises at you. Not really a bark or growl or whine..something different. They do this when they are bored, trying to get your attention, or need to go to the bathroom.

I'm happy to read you have a boxer! I don't want another dog I don't think I said that. In my original post I was crying and upset because he pooped and peed right after I said out of the kitchen (where everyone was) and then an hour later we were eating I said he did it again right after I said the same thing. The last time he actually sat next to his poop like hahamthats what you get for not including me. He gets jealous and says mom mom when I'm giving Attention to my fiancé he tries to get in between us. He lays right on top of me in bed. When I get upset I go away for a while to vent. I do that so the kids don't get upset and I fully believe in negative energy so maybe he is just as stressed as I am. I run with him four times a week walk him twice a day and take him out in between. Meh also runs at my boyfriends parents house once or twice a week. I need help figuring out how to fix it. I don't hate my dog. My dog gets attention. I personally don't have all day everyday but when I'm not here he doesn't have accidents.
    Magpie95 Posts: 97, Reputation: 14

Sep 6, 2012, 06:33 PM
    I get what you are saying. Maybe I am a crazy dog owner... it's likely. However, She would go to my bedroom door right away no matter where we were (not planning all day, dogs seem to have very short memories)... and she only peed there when I started saying "No, I am too tired to play." She never peed there any other time, accidents happen. Dogs get nervous. But I tell you this dog is a diva. I love her. But she dramatically turns her back to me now, and only in these same scenarios. I'm just glad I broke her of the peeing to express herself.
    I also have a English Bulldog. I have not noticed this behavior with him or any other dog I have had before. The bulldog does like to ride skateboards though, so that stereotype might be true. Haha!

Whatever the reason, the solution seems to always be consistency and patience.
    Uber Member

Sep 6, 2012, 06:36 PM
    I'm happy to read you have a boxer! I don't want another dog I don't think I said that. In my original post I was crying and upset because he pooped and peed right after I said out of the kitchen (where everyone was) and then an hour later we were eating I said he did it again right after I said the same thing. The last time he actually sat next to his poop like hahamthats what you get for not including me. He gets jealous and says mom mom when I'm giving Attention to my fiancé he tries to get in between us. he lays right on top of me in bed. When I get upset I go away for a while to vent. I do that so the kids don't get upset and I fully believe in negative energy so maybe he is just as stressed as I am. I run with him four times a week walk him twice a day and take him out in between. Meh also runs at my boyfriends parents house once or twice a week. I need help figuring out how to fix it. I don't hate my dog. My dog gets attention. I personally don't have all day everyday but when I'm not here he doesn't have accidents.

I don't think this is a "boxer" problem. I think this dog thinks he's in charge. How the situation got turned upside down - I have no idea! He tries to get between you and your fiancé? He's on top of you in your bed? He "says" "mom mom"? Dogs are not capable of saying, "ha ha." Did you read the thread I posted.

I have no idea how your dog got to be in charge of your house - but he is.

I was widowed. I live alone with two dogs. We've been through a lot, the 3 of us. An awful lot. I am in charge. There is no doubt about that, no doubt at all. Dogs are pack animals. Somebody needs to step up and lead the pack.

Whether you can afford it you NEED in home, personal advice. Eventually someone is going to get between you and your dog and it will be a disaster - for both that person and the dog.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

6 year old boxers suddenly peeing and pooping in the house? [ 3 Answers ]

We recently moved to a new house and our two boxers, males 6 years old, started peeing and pooping in the house, even though they are let out regularly. They both sleep in kennels at night (always have). Any ideas. Could they be mad that we moved. The yard is somewhat smaller than they are used...

8 month old Boxer peeing in the house [ 4 Answers ]

I have an 8 month old Boxer who has peed in the house twice over the last two months. Once was on the couch almost two months ago and the other was on the floor today. My husband feels that putting the dog outside and making her an outside dog is the answer, after hitting her and throwing her...

Why is my 10 year old Yellow Lab peeing/pooping in the house? [ 6 Answers ]

I need help! My 10 year old lab Bella has had 4 accidents this week. We did get a new dog a year ago, and she is house broken. We woke up twice this week and she pooped in the middle of the floor in the living room. We came home once this week and she had peed on the rug in the living room. Then...

My 13 year old cocker spainel won't stop pooping and peeing in the house/ furniture [ 4 Answers ]

My male dog won't stop peeing and pooping I woke up today and he did it again and then when I got home from work he did it again. We let him out constantly when we can... every morning when we wake up.. sometimes when he eats his breakfast we let him out. Before lunch and after and after dinner....

4 year old dog pooping and peeing in house [ 1 Answers ]

We have a four year old husky that we adopted from a rescue sheltre when he was 1 year old and he was already housetrained. We never used to have problems with him since we were always very good about letting us know when he had to go outside. A little while ago when I came home one day I saw that...

View more questions Search