Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tmeyer01 Posts: 136, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2007, 07:48 AM
    Carpet to Tile transition
    I have the tile intalled and will be installing the carpet up to it. The border will be 11 feet long and runs across part of my basement from wall to wall. I would like to just butt the carpet up to the tile and tuck it in without using threshold which would visually separate the two areas. My problem is that the tile is very thin so there is nothing to really tuck it into behind a tackless strip. Any suggestions on what to do or what would look/work the best? This is all being done over a concrete floor.

Thanks,
    nmwirez Posts: 453, Reputation: 20

Mar 8, 2007, 12:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tmeyer01
    I have the tile intalled and will be installing the carpet up to it. The border will be 11 feet long and runs across part of my basement from wall to wall. I would like to just butt the carpet up to the tile and tuck it in without using threshold which would visually seperate the two areas. My problem is that the tile is very thin so there is nothign to really tuck it into behind a tackless strip. Any suggestions on what to do or what would look/work the best? This is all being done over a concrete floor.

Thanks,
    What kind of carpet is being 'rolled and tucked?" Is there any backing? How high does the carpet lay above the slab? Sounds like the tile must be a quarter inch. Are these descriptions close to what you have? Nm

Mar 8, 2007, 01:03 PM
    It's a frieze type woven back carpet. There will be a 1/2" pad under the carpet and this is over a concrete slab floor. I would say the tile is the thinnest ceramic there is so yes, about 1/4".

Mar 8, 2007, 02:21 PM
    It's a frieze type woven back carpet. There will be a 1/2" pad under the carpet and this is over a concrete slab floor. I would say the tile is the thinnest ceramic there is so yes, about 1/4".
    Okay,

It looks like I am going to recommend something carpet guys will wonder how you did this . I am coming from a completely different high end construction world, so do not tell anyone about what I am going to say.

First up, if you can roll the carpet back to itself, without creating a huge bullnose edge, then this one's for you. You mentioned having a pad underneath, and it is needed.
    1. start the carpet edge that faces the tile by putting it upside down and tacking the carpet to the slab floor. Make sure this edge is wide enough to use vinyl flooring metal trim strips to be tacked using tack strip nails that are long enough to go through the strip and carpet into the concrete. (space nails every 3" minimum.)
    2. Then fold the carpet back over the hidden tack strip and lay it down onto the carpet padding that is butted up to but not over the new metal trim tackstrip.(the strip may need predrilled nail holes so the strip does not deform.)
    3. then stretch your carpet into the room as normally is done. You now have a hidden tuck and roll that will stay level along the edge of the tile flooring. It will be elevated to the same height of the padded carpet.

If the new carpet cannot be done this way, then using those vinyl flooring strips will need to be on top of the carpet and that looks amateur.

Hope this makes sense, :) nmwirez

Mar 8, 2007, 02:33 PM
    It does make sense and sounds great except the fact the nails in the tack strip will not penetrate the concrete floor. It is too hard and just bends the nails or chips the floor away. I have been glueing the strips down. Any suggestions on that? Our home improvement store does not have any suggestions regarding this. They don't have anything else to use on the concrete. I have a gun to put the framing to the floor but that won't work for something level like the carpet and tack strip.

Mar 8, 2007, 03:07 PM
    It does make sense and sounds great except the fact the nails in the tack strip will not penetrate the concrete floor. It is too hard and just bends the nails or chips the floor away. I have been glueing the strips down. Any suggestions on that? Our home improvement store does not have any suggestions regarding this. They don't have anything else to use on the concrete. I have a gun to put the framing to the floor but that won't work for something level like the carpet and tack strip.
    Then use ramset nails and grind the heads down. If that does not work, then using a masonry drill for inserting mollys is the only other 'hardway' answer.

Those ramset nails come in flat heads if I remember. :) nm

Mar 8, 2007, 03:08 PM
    Thanks for the help...

Mar 8, 2007, 03:23 PM
    Thanks for the help...
    No problemo... :) nm
    hankj Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 1, 2007, 07:19 AM
    I suggest the use of safetstrip. Drill and nail the saftstrip as per instructions. Place a bead of carpet seam sealer along the tile where it meets the slab. Then cut and tuck carpet.
    HankJ
    carpetbagger Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 16, 2010, 04:24 PM
    I have pulled carpet out of a bedroom and have treated and painted the concrete floor. I need a tranistion/threshold piece to go from concrete to carpet. It needs to be at least 3" wide. Where can I find this piece?
    bozo2go Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 1, 2010, 04:08 AM
    Comment on nmwirez's post
    Same scenereo but carpet is existing and tile is new. How would you fix carpet in this situation?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Installing a floor transition [ 5 Answers ]

I bought Carpet Trim which came with nails at Lowe's, I'm transitioning from tiles to carpet. According to instructions I'm supposed to use the included nails to fasten the trim to the concrete floor. All nails bend as I try to drive them into the concrerte. Any suggestions?

Taxes for transition from F1 to H1 Visa [ 8 Answers ]

Hi experts, I have been in the US since Sept 2003 and graduated from my school in may 2005. I filed as a Non-Resident for 2005 (was on OPT from Jul-Dec 2005) I was on my OPT (Practical training) with an employer till 1st July 2006, I went back to India as my OPT period had expired. I then...

Transition of Custody / Collection of $ [ 1 Answers ]

My husband and I recently married and moved his two children in with us. He is meeting with a lawyer on Monday to transfer custody to us. My husband and his ex have always had a good relationship... that is until yesterday. Yesterday we had our joint account and his accounts garnished/levied...

View more questions Search