Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    klaproth604 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 5, 2005, 08:34 PM
    Cat has been acting strange
    I've just started noticing a change in behavior in my 6 1/2 year old cat. He found a spot under the bed where he spends almost his entire day, except to come out to eat. He doesn't come out as normal when I get up or come home from work, won't come out for treats, won't come when called and doesn't seem interested in playing. This is all very unlike him. When he does come out to eat, he quickly "hops" across the floor instead of walking, as if he were trying to get through snow or some other uncomfortable ground below him.

He seems to be washing himself, all over, more often than usual. I don't see him drinking, but the water dish is empty more quickly the past couple days. He is very alert, and he purrs and rolls around when I pet him. There haven't been any changes in his environment whatsoever. Just in the past week or so he has started watching TV! He'll watch for minutes at a time and has never done so before. Maybe he is going a little crazy? I say that in jest, but I don't know what to think- I don't know if his behavior warrants an expensive trip to the vet. I appreciate any advice!
    koriani Posts: 132, Reputation: 8

Jan 6, 2005, 07:37 AM
    Hello,

It almost sounds like your cat (and your house) has a major flea problem. Sometimes when there are an overabunance of fleas feeding off a cat, the cat can become anemic to the point of death - they just suck the blood right out of them.

I highly suggest you pull a flea comb (or other small tooth comb) though your cat's fur to see if there is a bunch of black peppery stuff and fleas.

If that is the case, simply applying Advantage Flea Control (readily available at your vet) as soon as possible for at least 4 months in a row will get rid of not only the fleas on the cat but in the house as well without the need for spraying dangerous chemicals.

PLEASE DON'T USE ANY KNOCK-OFF FLEA CONTROL PRODUCTS FROM WAL-MART, AG STORES, OR PET STORES. THEY ARE MORE LIKELY TO KILL YOUR CAT THAN THE FLEAS.

Sometimes a blood transfusion is needed if the cat is too anemic. Giving a liquid vitamin supplement with iron can help them recoup faster.

If fleas are not the problem, I highly recommend you have your cat's urine checked and some lab run.

Some illnesses start to manifest themselves as early as 6 such as diabetes and hyperthyoidism among others.

Make sure your cat is eating a high quality diet such as Iams Hairball or Hill's Advance Protection Adult. A good diet can help alleviate (and in some cases ward off) future health issues.

I hope all goes well. Keep us informed!

Regards,

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Help with Acting [ 8 Answers ]

Hi there, I was wondering if someone could help me. At the moment I'm studying computers but for the last 4-5 months I have been really interested in becoming an actor. Where I live there isn't many acting classes, I don't no what to do. How do I get into the business? I have no experience in...

Acting! [ 4 Answers ]

To whom it may concern, I am very, very interested in becoming involved in community theatre here in chicago. I currently live in chicago and have just completed a year's worth of acting classes at a local theatre school. Simply, I want to start performing. I want to really experience the...

Kitten acting strange [ 2 Answers ]

This past weekend my husband and I took our kitten with us to my parents house. They have two adult cats who didn't seem aggressive toward my kitten but were not openly friendly either. They left her alone unless they thought she was invading their space and then would hiss. Other than that we...

My friends are acting strange [ 13 Answers ]

I have been close friends with a girl 'C' for a good 10yrs. Her boyfriend 'R' I have known for a good 5yrs but we only became good friends earlier this year when his marriage broke up and he started seeing one om other friends 'E'. 'R' & 'E' did not work out and they decided to split. 'R' text...

6 Year old Lab acting strange [ 2 Answers ]

Throughout his life he was perfectly fine, some said he was a little overweight, but aside from that he was perfectly healthy. However, recently, he's been waking up my parents (Im just a 15 year old) in the middle of the night, at like 3am. We're too tired at that point to take him out for...

View more questions Search