Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sawsall02 Posts: 55, Reputation: -4

Sep 5, 2012, 09:06 AM
    Burning front ankle or lower shins while walking
    I am 44yrs. Old and 5'10", 240 lbs. I am physically very strong. However, I have been walking 1-2 hrs. a day, 3-6 miles, and my upper front part of my ankles or lower shins just burn. I have tried stretching beforehand by pulling my toes backward under myself, and this feels better but the muscle pain still persists. Is this normal? And what am I doing wrong? I have tried Sports Creams, and this does help, but why is this happening to me?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 5, 2012, 09:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by sawsall02 View Post
    I am 44yrs. old and 5'10", 240 lbs. I am physically very strong. However, I have been walking 1-2 hrs. a day, 3-6 miles, and my upper front part of my ankles or lower shins just burn. I have tried stretching beforehand by pulling my toes backward under myself, and this feels better but the muscle pain still persists. Is this normal? and what am I doing wrong? I have tried Sports Creams, and this does help, but why is this happening to me?

That's a pretty slow pace to have shin splints - in my experience.

You are walking approximately 3 miles an hour on a "1 hour" day?

"According to your height of 5' 10" your ideal healthy weight is 156 pounds. Your recommended weight range is between 139 and 173 pounds." I wonder if your weight is part of the problem?

http://www.healthstatus.com/calculat...healthy-weight
    sawsall02 Posts: 55, Reputation: -4

Sep 6, 2012, 07:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    That's a pretty slow pace to have shin splints - in my experience.

You are walking approximately 3 miles an hour on a "1 hour" day?

"According to your height of 5' 10" your ideal healthy weight is 156 pounds. Your recommended weight range is between 139 and 173 pounds." I wonder if your weight is part of the problem?

Ideal Weight - Ideal Body Weight
    Yes, I am trying to lose weight. I also am pushing a wheel-barrow with about 80lbs. Of rock in it around my property, up and down small hills for about 1/2-hr. @ about the same pace / day. Also, I am a type 2 diabetic.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I am having burning sensation in my tummy and lower back pain throwing up [ 2 Answers ]

I am having burning sensation in my tummy and lower back pain and throwing up what is wrong with me

Lower front rt abdominal pain [ 0 Answers ]

I'm 46, male.. After work yesterday I started having sharp pains in my lower rt fwd side, if you drew a straight line from my belly button & followed to the rt it's located just above the pelvis, the stabbing pains have stopped but the area is very tender and I have sharp pains when I breath in...

36 weeks pregnant with Lower back pain and burning also [ 1 Answers ]

Any Idea what could be causing this burning and swelling and inflammation in my lower back? My dr. isn't in town until next week and I have no way of figuring this out! Should I be worried and does this call for a dr. visit. Or is this burning and inflammation normal during pregnancy?

Reasons for tightness in lower leg muscles when walking? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I just have a question on possible reasons for tightness in lower leg muscles when walking a couple blocks? Please let me know. Thank you!

Walking on side of feet to loosen ankle muscles [ 2 Answers ]

My 11 year old is required to walk on the sides of her feet in PE at school. The teacher says it is to loosen the ankle muscles before running. They walk on the inside and the outside of their feet. Is this safe?

View more questions Search