Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Rockstar714 Posts: 441, Reputation: 44

Sep 4, 2012, 01:28 PM
    Maid of Honor - What to do
    I'm a maid of honor (MOH) in my best friend's wedding. She was engaged February 2011, and her wedding is October 2012.

Everything leading up to this point is about her, and I understand that and I oblige to some extent. She was worried I was going to get my dress in time, I got one and she's been OK. Until the last couple weeks.

I've been planning her Bridal Shower, and I'm paying for the whole thing and the bachelorette party myself because the other bridesmaids don't want to, and her parents are paying for her entire wedding.

Almost 2 weeks ago she invited me over to her house with one of the other bridesmaids. I said maybe, and then 4 days later she said "see you at 6" and I said "I completely forgot, I'm really sorry, can we hang out later this weekend?" and she got all mad and said "i'm leaving for my cruise on Sunday and won't be back til the following Sunday, so no." and before she left I sent her a text saying "have a fun safe trip."

Yesterday, Labor Day Holiday, I texted her asking how her trip was. She said good but she got sick, I showed concern and then she said "yeah, well, my phone is dying, so later."

So here are my questions:
    1. Should I ask her if I did something wrong? I don't think I did, but the world revolves around her (just ask her) so I'm sure I did.

2. If this continues, would it be out of line to step out of the wedding?

3. Any additional advice?

Thanks in advance!
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 4, 2012, 01:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockstar714 View Post
    I'm a maid of honor (MOH) in my best friend's wedding. She was engaged February 2011, and her wedding is October 2012.

Everything leading up to this point is about her, and I understand that and I oblige to some extent. She was worried I was going to get my dress in time, I got one and she's been ok. until the last couple weeks.

I've been planning her Bridal Shower, and I'm paying for the whole thing and the bachelorette party myself because the other bridesmaids don't want to, and her parents are paying for her entire wedding.

Almost 2 weeks ago she invited me over to her house with one of the other bridesmaids. I said maybe, and then 4 days later she said "see you at 6" and I said "I completely forgot, I'm really sorry, can we hang out later this weekend?" and she got all mad and said "i'm leaving for my cruise on Sunday and won't be back til the following Sunday, so no." and before she left I sent her a text saying "have a fun safe trip."

Yesterday, Labor Day Holiday, I texted her asking how her trip was. She said good but she got sick, I showed concern and then she said "yeah, well, my phone is dying, so later."

So here are my questions:
    1. Should I ask her if I did something wrong? I don't think I did, but the world revolves around her (just ask her) so I'm sure I did.

2. If this continues, would it be out of line to step out of the wedding?

3. Any additional advice?

Thanks in advance!

Is this a big enough incident to lose your best friend?

That's the bottom line.

Sep 4, 2012, 02:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    Is this a big enough incident to lose your best friend?

That's the bottom line.
    In a way it kind of is. The way she treats me has been getting increasingly worse since even before she got engaged. She's the jealous type, so everything I get, she has to have something better. I got a car, she got a special edition car. I got an apartment, she got an apartment with a pool.

We went to Vegas and I paid for everything while we were there (food, drinks, etc). She kept meeting boys and locking me out of the room (you know why... ).

When I was looking for THE PERFECT bridesmaids dress for her wedding, she kept sending me all these plus size would-look-absolutely-horrible-on-me that were also out of my budget. When I told her that I do in fact fit into regular clothes, she got kind of upset and wouldn't talk to me for awhile.

So yes, it just might be. I've known her for 20 years.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 4, 2012, 02:06 PM
    I wouldn't be calling her my best friend after that kind of treatment.

Isn't it getting too close to the wedding to renege? Or can you still set some limits and boundaries?

Sep 4, 2012, 02:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    I wouldn't be calling her my best friend after that kind of treatment.

Isn't it getting too close to the wedding to renege? Or can you still set some limits and boundaries?
    I have no idea. I'm waiting for the wedding to be called off. She hasn't worked in 3 years, took control of her fiancee's finances, his mother practically moved in with them recently, and she's not the easiest person to spend time with...
    Uber Member

Sep 4, 2012, 02:25 PM
    In a way it kind of is. The way she treats me has been getting increasingly worse since even before she got engaged. She's the jealous type, so everything I get, she has to have something better. I got a car, she got a special edition car. I got an apartment, she got an apartment with a pool.

We went to Vegas and I paid for everything while we were there (food, drinks, etc). She kept meeting boys and locking me out of the room (you know why...).

When I was looking for THE PERFECT bridesmaids dress for her wedding, she kept sending me all these plus size would-look-absolutely-horrible-on-me that were also out of my budget. When I told her that I do in fact fit into regular clothes, she got kind of upset and wouldn't talk to me for awhile.

So yes, it just might be. I've known her for 20 years.

And she's your best friend? With her as a friend you don't need enemies.
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Sep 17, 2012, 11:04 AM
    I would tell her, "from the way you are speaking to and treating me, I am of the impression that you don't like or respect me so I'm having a hard time knowing why I am your maid of honor". See what she says. If she apologizes and says she's under stress, etc. I'd let it go and be in the wedding. If she goes on about how horrible you are, stick to your guns and drop out.

The bigger issue I'd have is the promiscuity at the hotel in vegas - and now she's getting married? Do you even think she's mature enough to get married?
    Uber Member

Sep 17, 2012, 11:35 AM
    In a way it kind of is. .

- Then I would bow out gracefully with as short an explanation as humanly possible.

Sep 17, 2012, 12:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dontknownuthin View Post
    I would tell her, "from the way you are speaking to and treating me, I am of the impression that you don't like or respect me so I'm having a hard time knowing why I am your maid of honor". See what she says. If she apologizes and says she's under stress, etc., I'd let it go and be in the wedding. If she goes on about how horrible you are, stick to your guns and drop out.

The bigger issue I'd have is the promiscuity at the hotel in vegas - and now she's getting married? Do you even think she's mature enough to get married?
    Well, the Vegas stuff was a month before she had even met the guy, and they've been together for almost 2 years. I don't think she's mature enough, and I never will, but she has grown up a litle bit.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Should I demote my Maid of Honor? [ 14 Answers ]

My Maid of Honor told me last night that she's pregnant and moving half way across the country. She said that she still wanted to be my Maid of Honor and that she's giving birth in July so there will be plenty of time for her to still plan my bachelorette party for September and get in shape for my...

Maid of Honor [ 8 Answers ]

I'm getting married in about a year and a half. I have a younger sister, who is sixteen, and she's always been my best and truest friend. I have another great, close friend named Jennifer, who is 24. I'm wondering if it's possible to have two maids of honor? I love my sister more than naything,...

Maid of honor! [ 5 Answers ]

I have two best friends, one from childhood and another I knew since college, both want to be my maid of honor. I don't know who to choose because I don't want anyone feelings to be hurt. They both are organizing my baby shower and the wedding isn't until August 2009. I plan on asking them both....

Don't want to be the maid of honor [ 6 Answers ]

:( My sister in law is getting married. She is my husbands sister. We are not close at all but her mother and her are so snooty that I believe they asked me to be the maid because it would look bad if the asked someone else. To make a long story short, they never have really like me, they have...

Issue with being Maid of Honor [ 44 Answers ]

My best friend is getting married in May and has asked me to be the Maid of Honor. I accepted but told her when I accepted that I would not be able to afford to purchase a "one time use" gown and would need her guarantee that my dress would be something classic and re-wearable she agreed. Well...

View more questions Search