Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    drali77 Posts: 127, Reputation: 5

Jan 5, 2005, 05:26 PM
    Cable connection sharing with a hub/switch
    Hi,
    I have a cable internet connection and want to share it with my three pcs all having windows xp , I have three cat5 cables and a 5- port switch , my broadband modem is a motorola surfboardsb 5100 usbcable modem, I tried to connect all of my pcs but not success , I run a set of setting a home network from my windows xp cd but not successful in that I don't know how to configure it please help me out .
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 5, 2005, 05:57 PM
    You should be able to run any one PC at time using a switch. Hubs may only work for connecting multiple computers together. I have a 4 port router, this Linux box, the old Mac, and phone all get along fine leaving the last port for guests.

Phone? Yeah, Vonage, $27.25 a month for full featured local service and unlimited US long distance.

Jan 5, 2005, 07:47 PM
    Problem is still there
    Thanks labman for your concern but I have a hub as well as a switch but how I connect and confiqure them . I don't have a broadband router can I use one of my PC as a gaeway to connect other pcs , please explain:(
    urmod4u Posts: 248, Reputation: 4

Jan 5, 2005, 08:01 PM
    One of the PC's must be configured to accept Internet connections through it.
    The other PC's must be configured to go through that one.
    The PC that accepts other PC's to go on Internet through it, must be connected to the 'upstream' port of the switch. Usually port 5 of a 5-port switch.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jan 6, 2005, 05:28 AM
    Using a hub (as opposed to a router or gateway) you'll need to configure Internet Connection Sharing on the PC connected to the cable modem. That PC will also need to have 2 network cards installed. The ethernet cable coming out of your LAN network card (as opposed to the network card accepting the cable modem ethernet cable) would go to your hub.

You can get a step-by-step here http://www.homenethelp.com/ics/ics-install-arch.asp or Google ICS + XP.

Jan 6, 2005, 04:43 PM
    Not accessible
    Thanks to all of you to help me out resolving this problem and I am a ble to connect my pcs to the broadband by the help of ICS.
    There is still a problem when I want to access to my ibm computer through my emachine PC I can access it easily but when try to access my emachine through ibm it says emachine is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource . Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permission.

Access is denied.

Please help me out to solve the problem :confused:

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Direct Cable Connection using Ethernet ports. [ 7 Answers ]

I would like to connect my LAptop to my Desktop at home. I know we should use a cross-over cable to connect the Ethernet ports. But I have no clue as to what are the steps / procees I should follow to mak this connection happen. I would like to have the step by step procedure as what is to be...

Sharing Directories over VPN Connection [ 2 Answers ]

I have no problems connecting and athenicating from XP client to my W2K server via VPN, but cannot see any files even through the local network connection before the router. Try and find this one in technet, seems the only resource discusses the VPN setup connection only and nothing about...

Sharing internet connection on wireless network (ad hoc) [ 1 Answers ]

Hi this is my first post on here and I was wondering if anyone could help me. I have a PC and a laptop both with wireless cards. I've managed to connect the 2 and have good signal. I went into my internet connection settings and clicked the check box "allow others to connect through this...

Wireless/cable internet connection [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I have 2 issues. Now I am new to this, so please don't judge me. 1) I was recently by my friend with my laptop (has wireless connectivity). I was able to connect to the wireless modem - got an ip address, subnet mask, and default gateway - but, still couldn't connect to the internet. I...

Please help... Cable Internet Connection Not Working [ 5 Answers ]

Hello: I hope someone can help me with this. I know the basics of a computer and am trying to help my neighbor with their internet connection. They have a cable connection coming into their home. They have a computer on the first floor and one on the second both running Windows XP home...

View more questions Search