Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bunnspieshop Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 4, 2012, 07:42 AM
    Installing a new alarm control panel (keypad)
    I have to replace the alarm panel (keypad) in my house with a more up to date one. The old one did not have a transformer and was powered by a separate PSU supply providing the 12v supply. The new panel has a built in transformer that should be connected to the mains.

Is it possible that I can bypass the built in transformer and simply use the existing PSU supply? If so, can I connect the PSU +/- to the AC connections on the board?
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Sep 4, 2012, 12:14 PM
    What Panel do you have? Sounds like the Old keypad may have been the Control Panel/Communicator, and Batteries with a wireless receiver.

Most Alarm Systems/Control Panels Have a transformer that charges a 12 volt dc battery, that battery provides power for The Panel, Detectors, siren, everything, even when AC fails. These type of Panels need 4 conductors to the Keypad(s).
    Commonly:
    Red B+
    Black B-
    Yellow Data
    Green Data
    One is data in, the other is data out.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Relocate Alarm Keypad 22 AWG can it be extended with 18 AWG [ 1 Answers ]

I went to the big box store and asked for 40 feet of 22-4 security wire and when I got home noticed it was actually 18-4. I am relocating my keypad to a new location and was wondering if the change would effect the system. So I am going to keep the existing wire from the control panel that is...

Installing a file from system to control panel [ 4 Answers ]

I have a "garage sale computer" that is running win2000pro.I don't have the soft ware but I do have the key code.I've worked my way around most of the previous owners administration barriers,but Ican't get the computer to install the themes file from system.Now the Question.Is there a way to...

Integrated keypad and control panel [ 4 Answers ]

We have been shopping around for a security system for a while. Lately we have been talking to a company called Monitronics and they have offered us 5 doors, 4 windows, one smoke, and one glass breaker for 210 dollars. Our concern is that their system does not have a separate control panel....

Installing wireless mouse & num keypad [ 11 Answers ]

I have a compaq evi n610c, secondhand, but it doesn't recognize the USB wireless mouse. I'm not sure what I need to do. Any ideas?

View more questions Search