Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jaalcruz Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 7, 2007, 11:27 PM
    Tax Returns for L1A Visa Holder
    I am Juan from Mexico entered and working in US from Nov '06 through L1A visa. My spouse(not working) & two kids (less than 3 years) joined me in Nov '06 through L2 visa.

This is our second visit to US since 2001-2003. I have a SSN, my spouse has an ITIN from her previous visit 2001-2003 and my kids do not have an ITINs. I need to file my returns for 2006 jointly and please assist me in doing this.

I was planning on filling out the 1040A and W7 forms plus attaching the W2 form from my employer, Is this correct?

What is the substantial presence test? How does that apply to me?

I was also thinking on filling out the following forms Moving Expenses F3903 and Child Tax Credit F8812. Are these forms applicable to me?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 10, 2007, 12:06 AM
    You can file jointly with your wife and both choose to be treated as resident aliens. This will make it possible for you to claim the Child Tax Credit for your two children.

There are two catches. First, you must declare and pay tax on ALL the income you earned in 2006, whether it was earned in the U.S. or Mexico. Second, you have to wait until mid-June before you can file, as you will not meet the Substantial Presence Test until then.

Alternatively, you can file as a non-resident alien (Form 1040NR) and pay taxes ONLY on the U.S.-based income. Because you are from Mexico, you can claim your wife and spouse as dependents. That return can be filed immediately.

You CAN claim moving expenses using Form 3903.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tax Returns for L1A Visa Holder with spouse & 3years Kid [ 7 Answers ]

Raj: I am Raj from India entered and working in US from Aug '06 through L1A visa. My spouse(not working) & kid(less than 3 years) joined me in Oct '06 through L2 visa. This is our first visit to US. I have a SSN but my spouse and Kid do not have SSN. I need to file my returns for 2006...

Tax return form for H1 and H4 visa holder [ 1 Answers ]

Hi all, I am a H1B visa holder, came to US in January, 2006. I am married and I have two children, one is born in US and another one in Bangladesh. My wife and one child have H4 visa (dependent visa). I have social security number but they don't have SSC/TIN. Is there anybody can tell me how...

Tax Deduction for J-1 Visa holder [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I'm in NY as a trainee (J-1visa). This year I had relevant medical expences (dentist), not paid by the health insurance. Can I deduct them? Thank you

Tax Return for H3b Visa holder [ 1 Answers ]

A friend of mine is currently working in th U.S on a H-3B visa. She has been advised that she can only claim back $602 of the $2335,62 in Federal Tax that she has paid in over the last year... is this possible ?

Tax for H1 and H4 visa holder [ 5 Answers ]

I am in H1b Visa, my wife came here in H4 visa in Nov 15, 2006. Can I fill 1040 for 2006 jointly with my wife so that we can receive 13000 standard deduction? She needs a ITIN? She can not have a SSN. Thanks.

View more questions Search