Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cynclaire Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 3, 2012, 03:33 PM
    Are there any scholarships that you are guaranteed to get if you meet the requirement
    I am a senior in high school and I am in the process of looking for scholarships for a four year university. My parents are not able to afford sending me to college. Unfortunately I have to totally rely on college scholarships, financial aid, and government grants. I know there is a lot of help out there but I don't know where to really start. I am an average student (2.35)GPA mainly because I did not take my freshman and sophomore year too serious, but after I became a teen mom in the summer of 2011 I straigtened up and wanted more for me and my child. So, I earned straight A's my junior year and now in my last year I currently have straight A's and will maintain them throughout the year. So, if anyone could give me any ideas on where to start that would be very helpful. Please no negative remarks or comments, I am really just looking for positive help. Thank you.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 3, 2012, 03:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cynclaire View Post
    I am a senior in high school and I am in the process of looking for scholarships for a four year university. My parents are not able to afford sending me to college. Unfortunately I have to totally rely on college scholarships, financial aid, and government grants. I know there is a lot of help out there but I don't know where to really start. I am an average student (2.35)GPA mainly because I did not take my freshman and sophomore year too serious, but after I became a teen mom in the summer of 2011 I straigtened up and wanted more for me and my child. So, I earned straight A's my junior year and now in my last year I currently have straight A's and will maintain them throughout the year. So, if anyone could give me any ideas on where to start that would be very helpful. Please no negative remarks or comments, I am really just looking for postive help. Thank you.

Please don't attempt to dictate who will answer you and in what manner.

No, there are no guaranteed scholarships. The requirements vary school to school. What is your high school guidance counselor advising? They have all the info you are seeking. That's the starting place.

Going into your senior year is late to begin looking at Colleges - many if not most consider your high school grades through your Junior Year, accept you conditionally, make their final decision based on your grades in your senior year. If you are a 2.35 in your Junior year I doubt you qualify for scholarship consideration.

Some States offer aid specifically for unmarried mothers. That depends on your State.

There is also working, part time or otherwise, evening classes, a mix and match. Community Colleges often transfer credits to a 4-year college. Again, it depends on your State.

Loans and grants are based on household income - your parents' income, yours including child support.

Talk to your guidance counselor OR the colleges that interest you.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 3, 2012, 06:14 PM
    There are Federal grants and loans in the US that are fairly well there is you meet those requirements. Some states like GA have small grants.

Beyond that, it can depend on groups your parents may belong to, Lions Club, VFW and the such. Also some schools have them, but many you have to compete for.

But you may have to do like I did and 1000s more do each year, go to college part time or take the min for your student aid, and then work to pay for it.

Never borrow student loans if you can't see a way to pay it back
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Sep 3, 2012, 08:14 PM
    Go to your counseling office at school. They can give you the requirements for different university systems in your area. Once you know if you meet the requirements for a specific university, then go on to their website and see what scholarships are available. There are also grants and loans through your state and the Federal government. You may also qualify for loans. You should also complete the FAFSA, which will tell you how much you need to pay for college and what you can receive.

All of this will depend on your grades from 10-12 grades. So, with a 2.35 GPA, you may find you are limited on enrolling to many universities. Your counselor should be able to help you with all of this information. Make an appt. to see him or her soon. There are deadlines to apply for scholarships and you don't want to miss them!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

In what movie does a young girl meet a man online, they meet, go to his place, and [ 1 Answers ]

And she ends up cutting off his penis?

This is unsolvable, guaranteed [ 11 Answers ]

Think about this one real hard: There are these three people traveling cross country, as they are passing through one state, they begin to get tired, so they look for a hotel. When they find one, the manager tells them there is one room left, but it's a single room. The three of them decide to...

Vonage Pricing guaranteed? [ 3 Answers ]

I'm considering Vonage for my business line. The rep I talked to on the phone told me that the price that is on the plan when I sign up will remain the same "forever". I respectfully asked the rep where I can find this in writing on the site and she said it's not there. She did claim,...

View more questions Search