Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sumtic Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 7, 2007, 09:55 PM
    h1b visa first year ->tax form
    Hi, Atlanta Tax Expert:

It's nice of you helping so many people on the Ask Me web. I also have something needing your answer

I'm single, holding H1B visa. I came from China on Sep14th,2006. According to the treaty between U.S and China governments, my tax was waived last year ,however the social security and medical care was deducted from my wage.

Could I ask: what kind of tax form should I fill, because I never fill it before?

Can the security and medical care be refund ?

Thanks in advance
    Chunsheng
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 9, 2007, 10:27 AM
    Chunsheng:

I do not believe your taxes were waived last year. The H-1B visa is a work visa, and H-1B visa holders are subject to the same taxes as U.S. citizens.

The withholding of Social Security and Medicare taxes was correct and proper. You can request a refund, but it would NOT be granted.

You need to file Form 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ for your income tax. The first $5,000 of your wages will be exempt from taxation under the U.S.-China Tax Treaty, and the next $3,300 is tax-free due to your personal exemption. After that $8,300, you can then claim itemized deductions.

Any income not offset by these deductions is, first at 10%, then 15% and then at 25%.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tax return form for H1 and H4 visa holder [ 1 Answers ]

Hi all, I am a H1B visa holder, came to US in January, 2006. I am married and I have two children, one is born in US and another one in Bangladesh. My wife and one child have H4 visa (dependent visa). I have social security number but they don't have SSC/TIN. Is there anybody can tell me how...

Last year State tax refund and do I report it this year on the state tax form ? [ 2 Answers ]

I received a state tax refund last year from New York. Must I include that amount as income on my New York return this year?

H1B Tax form and deduction [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am wondering If I should use 1040 NR or 1040 for my tax purpose.I was a H1B visa holder for the whole last year.How much deductions can I claim.Thanks.

H1B tax form [ 4 Answers ]

January 2005, my H1B was approved and worked for 8 month. Thereafter, I got displaced due to hurricane Katrina and relocated. I transferred my H1B to new employer in a different state. Worked for new employer for 2 month. I've been residing in the US since July 2001. Traveled out of the us twice, 2...

L-1 Visa Tax form [ 1 Answers ]

Hello All I am from India and I recently started working for a company on L-1( Intra company exchange visa). My date of joining was 13th December, and my L-1 got approved on 5th December 2005. I am not sure which form should I file, or Should I even file taxes as I have received only one pay...

View more questions Search