Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    marthagene16 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 3, 2012, 11:16 AM
    The owner refused to take our rent and told us to pack our belongings up asap
    On August 1st, 2012, we attempted to pay the rent to the owner of the single family house that we live in with him. He refused to take our rent money and told us to start packing our belongings because the house had gone into foreclosure. We have been actively looking for a new place, but with limited funds it has been difficult. We will hear this week if we are approved for an apartment and hope to move out asap. The owner asked me today if he were able to save the house were we going to stay. I told him no. He then stated that we would have to start paying rent again immediately. Are we liable to pay him rent since he had refused our payment & told us the house was in foreclsure? Is there a law in Virginia to recoup our past rent paid since he stopped paying the mortgage?

Thank you
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Sep 3, 2012, 12:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by marthagene16 View Post
    O... Is there a law in Virginia to recoup our past rent paid since he stopped paying the mortgage?
    No. Why should there be? Whether he pays the mortgage is really none of your concern.

Why he refused your rent is mysterious. If and when the foreclosure happens, you have a right to at least 90 days notice after the foreclosure sale, before you you have to be out; or for the remaining term of your lease (if you have one) whichever is more.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Sep 3, 2012, 12:51 PM
    Tenant/landlord agreements are supposed to be in writing, so without his refusal of your rent in writing, you would have a tough time in court. I would be straight with him - tell him that if you don't get the new apartment that you will pay rent for August and Sept.

No, you cannot get past rents back, or withhold future rents, regardless of what he did or does with the money.

You could try negotiating a reduced rent for August and future months based on the fact that he told you not to pay, and the possible foreclosure, and not having to now evict you for non payment. In other words, he has a good deal with you still there for a while. But wait until you know about the new apt.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 3, 2012, 01:06 PM
    For him to get you out of the house, he would have follow the legal process. However, unless you can prove to a court that he refused the August rent, he can give you a 3 day pay or quit notice.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 3, 2012, 06:34 PM
    As long as you live in the house, you will be required to pay him rent. ( the status of the house in foreclosure does not apply)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Due to a massive snow storm I was called and told that when I came to work to pack a [ 4 Answers ]

Due to a massive snow storm I was called and told that when I came to work to pack a bag and plan to stay. I worked my regular schedule, but slept at the hospital instead of going home. I worked the night shift 7am - 7pm and then slept in an empty room and then went back on the clock at 7pm to...

If two people own a home can one owner charge the other owner rent [ 1 Answers ]

If two people qwn one home can the other owner charge rent

Can a commercial landlord keep the tenants belongings and keep compounding rent ? [ 1 Answers ]

Can a NJ commercial landlord keep the tenants belongings and keep compounding rent ?

Roommate has abandoned belongings and has not paid rent [ 5 Answers ]

I live in a 4 bedroom apartment with two other roommates. One roommate's rent check bounced in mid July, and has been AWOL since then and we have no way to reach him. He has not paid rent for the months of July and August (today is August 11). We know he is alive and well, but he will not return...

Dr. Told me I need to have a baby ASAP! [ 10 Answers ]

I know this will be kind of long but I really apprechiate you read it and give me some advise I'm at my wits ends! I went to the Dr. last week and she basiclly told me I need to have a baby ASAP! Let me give you a little history first. I have endometriosis, Overian cysts, and a heart condition....

View more questions Search