Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    suicidal_llama Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 7, 2007, 07:52 PM
    Difference between repudiation and breach?
    Hey guys,

What's the differnce difference between repudiation and breach, and can anyone think of any examples or case studies to help outline this?

Thank you
    florida_sherrie32 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2007, 03:09 AM
    A repudiation occurs generally before performance of a contract begins, and has different remedies available (to the aggrieved/non-repudiating party) depending upon whether the contract involves the sale of goods (where the UCC governs) and/or services or property (where common law governs).

For example, under the UCC, if one party (A) has good reason to believe that the other (B) will not be able to perform (A has good reason to believe that B will not deliver the widgets to A as they previously agreed to in a contract), A may demand adequate assurances of performance by B, and A may either (1) suspend his/her own performance, or (2) demand a formal statement of repudiation from B. Under the rule of anticipatory repudiation, If B does repudiate the contract formally, A may then treat B's repudiation as a breach of their contract and bring suit against B immediately (A does not need to wait until the agreed time for performance from B was due).

When a party fails to fulfill their obligation under the contract, there has been a breach. A breach of contract may excuse the other party's duty to perform. This depends upon whether the breach classifies as a minor breach or a material breach. For example, if Builder (B) contracts with Homeowner (H) to replace H's fence. If B replaces all but 10% of H's fence, the breach is minor and thus H is not excused from performing (H must pay B). However, if B only completes 40% of the fence, the breach is material, and H is excused from performing. The issue is the materiality of the breach, not the breach itself, which is a question of fact for the court (judge/jury) unless material/minor breaches are defined in the contract.
    (Now, of course, B may then sue H under quasi-contract for the value that B conferred on H, and H may hire C to complete the job, etc. but that is a separate remedies analysis.) Simply stated: A minor breach does not excuse the other party's nonperformance. A material breach does.

I hope this satisfies your question.
    suicidal_llama Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2007, 06:17 AM
    Thanks sherri!

Much appricated and yes it does, however I am in australia and am looking for Australian law , I proberly should have specifed that :)

Cheers anyway mate

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Breach of contract and pet deposit [ 3 Answers ]

As a Landlord do I have to return the pet deposit if the lease has been breached in the state of California?

Breach of Contract [ 2 Answers ]

My husband and I recently moved to an apartment in Kentucky and in our lease it said that we would have a washer and dryer provided for us for free. We get to our apartment and there is not a washer and dryer. The manager said that we would forsure have it by Friday Feb. 23 by 5:00 and we still...

Breach of Contract [ 2 Answers ]

To whom it may concern, I am a president of a non-profit Inc. We sold a house for 119,500.00 and received a 350.. 00 for earnest money... Loan is OK, Buyers are not calling nor returning calls, It is apparent that they may be breaching the contract. What should we do, Thank you Derek...

Breach Of Contract [ 2 Answers ]

In My Father's Legal Separation Papers, It Is Stated That Upon His Death, All Of His Land And Home Goes To His Legally Separated Wife With The Exception Of One Acre That Is To Be Given To His Daughter. He Died In July, 2006 And In September, She Deeded All Of The Land To Her Son. The Legal...

View more questions Search