Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tessavicki Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 2, 2012, 11:35 AM
    Hp 2tb external hard drive
    Hi,
    I have an HP 2TB external hard drive (hp dt2000i)and I don't know what is wrong with it. My PC picks it up, and works perfectly with it, but whenever I plug it into any other PC, firstly it doesn't pick up - have to add new hardware search for it, and if the PC finds it (which doesn't happen every time), I can't use it, files download to a certain point then freezes the PC. I have tried it on numerous pc's, same result. This all started a while back when I plugged it in and it gave me an error message saying I must format, which I then did. Hp won't give me tech support because it only applies to under warranty customers. My theory is I somehow lost the drivers that makes it work. Any suggestions or thoughts on the matter? Can it be fixed? I also gave it in, but they told me that they don't know what the problem is, so they can't help me. I hope to hear from anybody that can shed some light on the situation.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Sep 2, 2012, 12:03 PM
    The other machines you have tried what operating system are they running, as the 2Tb disc may simply be too large for them to see correctly.

If it is USB connected there aren't any additional drivers needed..
    ByteCrawler Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 2, 2012, 12:24 PM
    Before we dive too deeply, more info would help:
    1. What OS (Windows, Mac, Ubuntu, etc.)? What version(s)?
    2. Are you managing the files using standard file management utilities (Windows Explorer, Mac Finder, etc.)? Or are you using HP SimpleSave?
    3. Is the load failing at the same place every time (stopping on the same file)? Is it consistent (if it fails on a machine, it always fails on that machine and if it works on a machine, it always works on that machine)?
    4. How did you reformat the drive? FAT32, NTFS, or something else?
    tessavicki Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 2, 2012, 12:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ByteCrawler View Post
    Before we dive too deeply, more info would help:
    1. What OS (Windows, Mac, Ubuntu, etc.)? What version(s)?
    2. Are you managing the files using standard file management utilities (Windows Explorer, Mac Finder, etc.)? Or are you using HP SimpleSave?
    3. Is the load failing at the same place every time (stopping on the same file)? Is it consistent (if it fails on a machine, it always fails on that machine and if it works on a machine, it always works on that machine)?
    4. How did you reformat the drive? FAT32, NTFS, or something else?
    Okay, I tried it on pc's similar and with better capacity than mine, I have windows 7 ultimate, tried it on XP and Vista. I use windows explorer for file management, it's not failing at the same place every time, its random and it completely disables the PC it's connected to until it is unplugged. Since the problem started, I have not found another PC it would work on, just mine. The reformat was NTFS.
    I re-portioned it on my PC, that's how I got it to work again (it did the same with mine until the re-portion) this is why I thought it might be a driver problem...
    ByteCrawler Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 2, 2012, 10:25 PM
    So you repartitioned and reformatted to NTFS. That should eliminate any file size issues. Intermittent issues sound like some kind of signal or power problem. The dt2000i is externally powered so power quality shouldn't be an issue. Are you using USB 2.0 ports on all of these computers? If you are on USB 2.0 then you definitely don't need drivers. Some computers require drivers for the USB 3.0 ports to work correctly.
    There are a lot of other things that could be wrong, (flaky cable, marginal disk controller, etc.) but we could run around in circles with this for weeks. The real poser is why it works reliably on your system and not on any other.
    I'm sure you've thought of this already, but look at everything that is different about your computer vs. those where it doesn't work. Even down to whether you are using a connector on the front panel or one connected to the motherboard. Sorry I can't be more help. Please post anything else you learn.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I've moved the contents of my C: drive to my external hard drive. No OS found. [ 1 Answers ]

I was having some problems with my cpu usage so a friend told me to empty out my c: drive onto an external hdd. I did and it worked. But an hour later it shut down and when I tried to start it up it said no OS found. Is there any way to get it working again? I don't have a windows 7 CD to...

External hard drive [ 4 Answers ]

I have a simpletech external hard drive, windows 98se, connected to a usb port. The "safely remove hardware" taskbar icon is not showing up any longer. I am afraid to switch of the hard drive.

External hard drive [ 1 Answers ]

How do I move my files to the external hard drive

USB External Hard Drive (drive connect problem) [ 7 Answers ]

After connecting my external hard drive to a usb port. Assigns to a used drive F. to get to the ext hd I have to disconnect F then I'm able to open the ext hd. How can I get the ext. hd to go to the next available drive letter or can I assign one?

View more questions Search