Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Fm69 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 1, 2012, 09:10 PM
    How did they get around a drug test?
    I am a foster parent whose current placements' parents are drug users. They passed a few UAs (failed only one) but when a hair strand was done it showed extensive use of several drugs.

I am curious as to how they were able to mask their usage in the UAs, and if it is possible to mask usage in hair strands (dad shaved his head, mom cut her hair short and dyed it red recently)
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 1, 2012, 11:01 PM
    Not really, they may have stayed clean short times before test.

On shaved head, they go to other body hair, if they need to. Some if they shave all areas may show it as a failed test since they are trying to cheat
    DrBill100 Posts: 3,241, Reputation: 502
    Ultra Member

Sep 2, 2012, 06:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fm69 View Post
    I am a foster parent whose current placements' parents are drug users. They passed a few UAs (failed only one) but when a hair strand was done it showed extensive use of several drugs.

I am curious as to how they were able to mask their usage in the UAs, and if it is possible to mask usage in hair strands (dad shaved his head, mom cut her hair short and dyed it red recently)
    A positive hair test is almost always an indication of chronic drug use*. Not very effective for detecting low or infrequent use. Also Hair Drug Testing (HDT) is more apt to detect certain types of drugs while missing others.

Cutting hair is effective if the individual hasn't used drugs for over 100 days (or thereabout) and harsh cosmetic treatment (bleaching, dyeing etc) hair greatly reduces amount of drug present.

As Fr_Chuck noted, urine analysis is time sensitive. Most drugs will be undetectable in the range of 2-4 days. So brief abstinence is all that is required.

William J. Closson, PhD, Forensic Toxicology Services:

Galanter & Kleber, 2011 Psychotherapy for the Treatment of Substance Abuse, American Psychiatric Publishing, Wash, DC, p. 58

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Does any presciption drug mimic marijuana on drug test? [ 8 Answers ]

Are there any presciption drugs that mimic marijuana on a pee test? Also, does eating asparagus have any impact since it is an alkaline vegetable? Thanks.

Can my PO drug test me if I am not on drug related probation? [ 11 Answers ]

That's pretty much my question

Will I pass my drug test if I took percocet 4 days prior to the test? [ 6 Answers ]

Yes I'm an idiot. A week or so ago I got black out drunk and ended up taking one perc 5. Sure enough 4 days later I had a urine test. I did drink a gallon of gatorade and a gallon of water two days before the test and drank a decent amount of fluids the other three days. And a couple shots the...

Drug test paper work inaccurate with drug test given [ 4 Answers ]

I work as a residential contractor at a larger company. The larger company brought my company in to be randomly drug tested. We had to fill out paper work giving our consent to take the drug test and what not. On one of the papers was a list of the drugs they would be testing for. Weed, coke,...

Will I pass my drug test if I took percocet 4 days prior to the test? [ 2 Answers ]

Yes I'm an idiot. A week or so ago I got black out drunk and ended up taking one perc 5. Sure enough 4 days later I had a urine test. I did drink a gallon of gatorade and a gallon of water two days before the test and drank a decent amount of fluids the other three days. And a couple shots the...

View more questions Search