Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bxjewel717 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 31, 2012, 05:52 PM
    Rental car Rear-ended while stopped in traffic
    I was on vacation in Puerto Rico. I was involved in a car accident where I was rear ended while stopped in heavy traffic. At the time of rental , I chose not to pay for their insurance because I have active FULL insurance coverage of my own (Geico). I verified with my insurance beforehand and was told I would be covered. The police report clearly described the accident how it occurred, and I presented the rental company all documentation and police report that they requested before returning (home) to NY. I reported the accident to my insurance and they took all the info. 5 months later I receive notice from the rental company charging me for repair damages exceeding $5,000.00. They say because I declined the"Loss Damage Waiver" offered at the time of rental, that I am responsible for any damages regardless of fault. How could I be responsible when I was rear ended. Shouldn't they seek payment from the other drivers insurance?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 31, 2012, 06:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bxjewel717 View Post
    I was on vacation in Puerto Rico. I was involved in a car accident where I was rear ended while stopped in heavy traffic. At the time of rental , I chose not to pay for their insurance because I have active FULL insurance coverage of my own (Geico). I verified with my insurance beforehand and was told I would be covered. The police report clearly described the accident how it occurred, and I presented the rental company all documentation and police report that they requested before returning (home) to NY. I reported the accident to my insurance and they took all the info. 5 months later I receive notice from the rental company charging me for repair damages exceeding $5,000.00. They say because I declined the"Loss Damage Waiver" offered at the time of rental, that I am responsible for any damages regardless of fault. How could I be responsible when I was rear ended. Shouldn't they seek payment from the other drivers insurance?

Turn it over to GEICO - they will deal with the problem, possibly pay it and pursue the other driver.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 31, 2012, 07:07 PM
    You need to read the contract. It is possible when you signed the waiver, that you did waive the issue of fault.

So basically you turn this over to GEICO.

Aug 31, 2012, 08:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    Turn it over to GEICO - they will deal with the problem, possibly pay it and pursue the other driver.
    I'm confident Geico will take care of it, its just so frustrating... being a long wkend, I have to wait until Tuesday before I hear from my insurance. Ughhhh!
    Thank you for you feedback

Aug 31, 2012, 08:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    You need to read the contract. It is possible when you signed the waiver, that you did waive the issue of fault.

So basically you turn this over to GEICO.
    Yeah... the small print! But still, the other driver was totally at fault. I mean, the traffic was at a standstill! He had been fooling around with his cellphone when he slammed into me which was what distracted him at that moment... too bad he said that before the police arrived. But like you said... turn it over to Geico. Thank you for the feedback.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 1, 2012, 04:39 AM
    Here's the thing. The rental company doesn't care. They just want their car repaired. They have you on the hook. I don't know what the insured status of the other driver was. It just may cost them or be more complicated to go after the other driver.

GEICO is pretty good about not raising rates over things like this. So I doubt if this will affect your premiums. They will pay and do what they can to go after the other driver.

You will have no worries.

Sep 1, 2012, 06:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    Here's the thing. The rental company doesn't care. They just want their car repaired. They have you on the hook. I don't know what the insured status of the other driver was. It just may cost them or be more complicated to go after the other driver.

GEICO is pretty good about not raising rates over things like this. So I doubt if this will affect your premiums. They will pay and do what they can to go after the other driver.

You will have no worries.
    Awww! Your response brings comfort to me! I was worried about that. But yes, I'm sure Geico will take care of this whole mess. Knock on wood, I haven't put in a claim in 15yrs! Thanks so much!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rear ended [ 4 Answers ]

My wife and I were traveling in Mississippi and a driver of a F-150 Pickup truck rear ended me at greater than 60 miles per hour. My speed was much slower and the driver claimed that I cut him off causing the accident. He never made that statement to me yet he later told the police officer to that...

Passenger ina car that was rear ended [ 1 Answers ]

I am in the state of Alabama. I was th passenger in a vehicle that was rear ended at a traffic light. The car that hit us was uninsured and the car that I was in was uninsured. There was a police report filed and I went to the E.R. I am now doing seesions of physical therapy and I would like to...

Rear-ended NOT at fault- totaled car [ 4 Answers ]

I was rear ended at a red light. My 3 year old son and my parents were also with me while I was driving. The at fault driver takes full responsibility. The problem I am having... I drive a 94 Mazda Protégé DX. It was in great driving condition. It has never needed major work,great exterior and...

Rear-ended a car that cut of me off. Insurance? Who's at fault? [ 1 Answers ]

I was stopped at a red light in the outermost lane with two other cars in front of me, and when we started moving a car from the middle lane made a lane change and then had to brake to avoid the car that was originally in front of me. He didn't turn on this signal until halfway into the lane...

I rear ended someone on the expressway because the car ahead was in reverse [ 2 Answers ]

I was in a car accident on dec 31, driver in front of me stop right on the expressway, said that the driver in front of him was backing up. Which made him come to a quick stop, which made me have to come to a quick stop. So I slide into the driver in front of me. Police ask both of us were we okay...

View more questions Search