Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    blissx46 Posts: 33, Reputation: 1

Sep 3, 2012, 02:28 PM
    Thanks for the site... I'll check it out. I've been watching lots of you tube videos of dachshunds giving birth and I will have my mom alongside me when the big day comes (as long as its not too inconvenient for my mom) and so I hope we have a safe delivery too! I'll be sure to post pictures of the puppies so you can all Oooohh and awwwwee... Lol!

Sep 3, 2012, 02:38 PM
    Ok so I have another question... There seems to be lots of different views on whether mom should be allowed to consume any of the placentas... Also if I am the one that has to cut the umbilical cord dull scissors verses sharp? I've read that it's better to "crush" the cord than a clean cut.
    LadySam Posts: 1,589, Reputation: 322
    Cats Expert

Sep 3, 2012, 03:54 PM
    Again with the questions! Just kidding.
    I have only always clamped, tied then cut umbilical cords, someone else may come along with a alternative method.
    With a hemostat clamp the cord between about 1/4 to 1/2 inch from the belly, the hemostat is essentially giving the "crushing" effect and help to seal the cord and give you a guide as to where to tie the string. You can use a lightweight fishing line to tie off the cord just below the hemostat (between the hemostat and the belly) put at least 4 throws in your knot.
    Then you simply cut the cord immediately in front of the hemostat on the side that the placenta is on.
    As for eating the placentas, even the doctors at the clinic where I work differ a little. While they all agree that it is natural, and natures way it's just gross. Which it is, it will really turn your stomach.
    Personally I wouldn't let my dog eat the placentas if I could help it because it is one of the few things that sets off my gag reflex.
    Good thing your Mom is coming over, because you will need an extra set of hands to help to tie off placentas, whichever method you choose, they are wiggly little critters.
    And I actually like your idea about the rice socks/bed buddys, I have suggested heating pads in the past for orphaned newborns but there is no mother and they have no teeth and feeding is so frequent that you have many opportunities to keep a check on things.
    I don't think a heating pad for a dog that has the slimmest chance of chewing on it is a good idea.

After thought-of course after I typed up that method-you have an appt with your vet this week right?
    That would be a good time to ask about their preferred method to tie off placentas and even have a staff member demonstrate it for you.

Sep 3, 2012, 04:23 PM
    They would demonstrate that for me? Gosh that would be great! Yes my husband is a heavy sleeper and if she decides to wait until two or three in the morning I'll be on my own. Lol so I asked my mom if she would help midwife w me. The placenta thing really sets my gag reflex in motion too do unless I hear about some fantastic gain from consuming them I believe I will be discarding them. Plus if she ate one and I didn't see than I may get panicked thinking I have an extra pup w no afterbirth and she has retained a placenta. I am looking forward to her vet appointment this Friday and I hope our vet is ready to have her brain picked! ;)
    Cats Expert

Sep 3, 2012, 04:38 PM
    I don't see why they wouldn't, I can't say for sure, we often demonstrate things for clients, trimming nails, cleaning ears, trimming potty tracks, etc because well, they have to do these things at home sometimes and we'd rather them to know how to do these things safely.

I would have no problem demonstrating it for a conscientious client, I know I certainly couldn't be there for whelping.
    Sometimes I think people don't ask about some things because they simply don't think about it.

Sep 3, 2012, 05:56 PM
    Good point LadySam. I'll be sure and ask for a demonstration on Friday! If I think of any more questions I'll be sure and post them or you think of any other helpful advice please don't hesitate to share!
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Sep 5, 2012, 06:25 AM
    What a cutie! I love the brindle coat. I hope you come back and update us with an over load of cuteness when the babies are born!
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Sep 5, 2012, 07:08 AM
    Bliss, as you think of the questions you want to ask or the concerns you have, write them down. Take the list with you to the appointment. It will help you remember what you needed to talk about with the vet and/or the staff. Plus it will give you a place to write down any added information and the answers.

Sep 5, 2012, 05:31 PM
    That's a good idea... I'll be writing them down over the next day! Oh you can bet I'll be back w loads of adorable baby pictures!

Sep 7, 2012, 06:24 PM
    Well as I'm writing these I'm wiping away the tears streaming down my face. Just got home from Mochas appt w the vet and the X-rays show a false pregnancy... No babies. The vet was shocked and was not expecting this to be the case. She is presenting w all the signs of pregnancy except the babies. We can try again next time... Her next heat will be around January. Sorry for the let down guys but it is what it is...
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Sep 7, 2012, 06:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by blissx46 View Post
    Well as I'm writing these I'm wiping away the tears streaming down my face. Just got home from Mochas appt w the vet and the X-rays show a false pregnancy.... No babies. The vet was shocked and was not expecting this to be the case. She is presenting w all the signs of pregnancy except the babies. We can try again next time... Her next heat will be around January. Sorry for the let down guys but it is what it is....
    I'm so sorry to hear this.

Wipe those tears. Go give Mocha a big hug. It's better to know what's going on.

I know this is a blow, and I know you were so excited about this, but there's always next time.

Right now Mocha needs you, and I know that you'll put aside your feelings and be there for her. :)
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Sep 7, 2012, 07:28 PM
    Well as I'm writing these I'm wiping away the tears streaming down my face. Just got home from Mochas appt w the vet and the X-rays show a false pregnancy.... No babies. The vet was shocked and was not expecting this to be the case. She is presenting w all the signs of pregnancy except the babies. We can try again next time... Her next heat will be around January. Sorry for the let down guys but it is what it is....
    I, too, am sorry to hear this.

Once the shock and disappointment wears off you will see that there is something good coming out of the false pregnancy. You found out what you need to research a bit more to be even more ready next time. It will also give you more time to have money set aside for possible complications.

Give Mocha a hug for me, too (and treat if it is allowed.)

Sep 7, 2012, 07:30 PM
    Thanks Alty- yes I will be there for Mocha no matter what. It's just such a feeling of loss because she looks and acts like she's pregnant and to find out there's no puppies to be had is just such a let down. Even the vet was shocked by the way she is presenting that there really are no little skeletons to count on the x-rays. I still feel like they're going to call me and tell me they mixed up the x-rays but I know that's not the case. This is a really great vet and I trust them completely. There is always next time... I just wish I knew if this was just a fluke or whether a different stud is necessary?

Sep 7, 2012, 07:33 PM
    @ Cat1864... I will definitely give her lots of treats but now I'm wondering if the extra 3lbs she has put on since breeding will come off easily on on its own once the hormones subside a bit. I feel like she knows from my energy that something's amiss and I wish I could explain what's going on to her. I wish I knew how to be there for her... the vet said to watch her cause she will probably go through some pretty funky behavior over the next two weeks.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Sep 7, 2012, 08:28 PM
    @ Cat1864...I will definitely give her lots of treats but now I'm wondering if the extra 3lbs she has put on since breeding will come off easily on on its own once the hormones subside a bit. I feel like she knows from my energy that somethings amiss and I wish I could explain what's going on to her. I wish I knew how to be there for her....the vet said to watch her cause she will probably go through some pretty funky behavior over the next two weeks.
    The funky behavior will most likely happen. Basically her body thinks that it's pregnant. She thinks she's pregnant. Heck, you thought she was pregnant. So imagine what your body, and you, would go through if you found out that you're not pregnant a week before you were due to deliver.

Start walking more frequently, cut back on the food (you were giving her extra because she was pregnant, but she doesn't need that extra any more). She'll drop the weight.

She's a healthy dog, loved, well cared for. She'll bounce back. You will too. :)

Sep 8, 2012, 01:42 PM
    Ok... I just feel so sad for her because I know there are no babies coming. I'm worried this will be worse for her than It probably will be. I've not done a ton of research on this condition but enough that I'm anticipating a pretty messed up pup for a few weeks. I hope you're right Alty and she does bounce back pretty quickly. Is it safe for me to go ahead a breed her on again on her next heat? I don't mean to sound insensitive but I think that would help in more ways than one.

Sep 9, 2012, 06:21 PM
    Is there any chance we did the X-ray too early and the puppies just aren't showing up yet? I looked at the calendar and she was 49 days when we did the x-ray. Just trying to rule out anything and everything I can so my poor mind can rest and begin mending.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 9, 2012, 06:30 PM
    Isn't there a rule not to breed females more than once every other year or some such? And you are the one who will be missing pups. She has no emotional connection to them.

Normal gestation is a little over two months. Pups would be visible during an x-ray at this point.
    Cats Expert

Sep 9, 2012, 07:08 PM
    Canine False Pregnancy

Wondergirl is correct by day 45 the puppies bones have mineralized and will be visible on x-ray.
    If she was 49 days in they would have shown up on the film.

Sep 11, 2012, 08:07 AM
    Ok I figured as much. Both my males (the original sire from this false pregnant and my 5mth pup) are extremely interested in her over the last day or so. They are both trying to mount her and she's trying to mount my older male (sire); is this all normal behavior? She's not due to go into heat again until January.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mini dachshund [ 2 Answers ]

We have a 10 month old female mini dachshund & we gave her a small fury toy for Christmas. Since then she has begun to mother this thing... licking, made a place for it in one of the bedrooms. She now spends most of the day in bed taking care of her "puppy". Is this normal behavior? Will she...

Mini Dachshund Breeding [ 27 Answers ]

Hello, I have a mini dachshund she is around 10 months old and weighs 3.1kg's. I would like to have a litter from her, not for money purposes or flash purebred breeding but just for the sheer pleasure of having a litter of puppies from my beautiful little girl. She had her first season at about...

Mini Dachshund had puppies! [ 7 Answers ]

She had her puppies on Thursday and she has not left the cage since then. Her appetite is good and she is drinking plenty of water.I just can't get her to go outside to go to the bathroom is this normal. The puppies are all healthy that don't cry much . She will barely let me get close enough to...

Mistreated mini dachshund [ 2 Answers ]

I purchased a one year old mini dachsund about 2mths ago. We were told that they were selling her bc/ their other 2 dogs didn't get along with her. One was her size, the other Was a large size. She had been treated badly. Once I got her home, she had abscess on Her stomach at many different...

View more questions Search