Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nwc Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Aug 30, 2012, 06:31 PM
    Can I sue my husbands former employer
    Can I sue my ex husband employer for stress,defemation financial loss.The city he worked lost a piece of information from his background and than accused him of dishonesty and terminated him. He filed a writ of mandate and the city settled on clearing his name because there was never any evidence .There was testimony from the background people saying could have lost it in their house because of water damage.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Aug 30, 2012, 07:22 PM
    You can try... spend a lot of money on a lawyer... and lose.

If he was an at-will employee... they didn't need a reason to terminate him... if he was a union worker, then it fell to them to defend him..

Aug 30, 2012, 07:55 PM
    Detailed
    He was a police officer . Being terminated for dishonesty is a very bad accusation especially when they had no evidence. It took him a long time to find employment again. We lost everything financial and we borrowed a lot of money . We had to relocate to another state and that caused preterm labor .
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Aug 31, 2012, 06:44 AM
    I am assuming this post https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/corpor...er-698295.html is part of this one. You won't get qualified answers if you keep starting new post on the same subject.

{Threads merged}
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Aug 31, 2012, 07:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by nwc View Post
    He was a police officer . Being terminated for dishonesty
    Hello n:

He needed a lawyer THEN, or a union rep THEN.. You won't be able to change the past.

excon
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 31, 2012, 07:53 AM
    What is your question for us?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Aug 31, 2012, 08:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    What is your question for us?
    https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/corpor...er-698295.html
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Aug 31, 2012, 08:12 PM
    ... the city settled on clearing his name ...
    There was a lawsuit and the city settled? A settlement involves a release of all claims. It's possible you didn't sign off on that settlement, but you can't recover for defamation of your husband, and as far as the emotional distress, etc. well it's posslble I guess, although it doesn't look like that good a case. Discuss it with a PI attorney; who knows.

Sep 1, 2012, 03:25 PM
    He filed a writ of mandate and the plaintiff settled on clearing his name only. He also filed a civil lawsuit against two parties the background company and the city. The company settled for 20k and the judge ruled on
    Having to do it through the writ hearing. There was testimony that the background company stored records illegally in her garage were water damage had occurred and some files were destroyed
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Sep 1, 2012, 03:46 PM
    He filed a writ of mandate and the plantiff settled on clearing his name only.
    Hello again, n:

The CITY was the plaintiff, I presume.. If there was more to get, THAT is the time it should have been gotten...

excon
    Expert

Sep 2, 2012, 06:34 AM
    ... He also filed a civil lawsuit against two parties the background company and the city. The company settled ...

Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post

The CITY was the the plaintiff, I presume.. If there was more to get, THAT is the time it should have been gotten...
    If he sued, he (OP's husband) would have been the plaintiff. It appears that OP doesn't understand enough of all of this to be able to express here what happened. But you're probably right, Excon, as I say, it is probably too late to ask for more.

Sep 3, 2012, 10:37 AM
    Can my husband apeal his civil case if he feels that his lawyer went behind his back and made a deal with the city.he coaherst him into taking the deal by emailing him 20 times and calling. After he made a little money off the first party.the second party would be the city was too much paper work so he presured him into taking a no money deal.so we are still in major finacil debt and suffered from emotional distress for the past two years.

Sep 3, 2012, 10:46 AM
    The deal he took was the writ of mandate and that was to clear his name.but the civil lawsuit of it the first party settle for 20k and are lawyer took 11k plus a thousand for retainer fee plus he took payments and he was working on contengency. Once it came to going to trial with the city the judge ruling was to go through the writ of mandate and he lost that part.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Sep 3, 2012, 12:57 PM
    How do you think you can appeal a case you already won? Because you didn't think you got enough?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 3, 2012, 12:59 PM
    He signed the settlement. It would be next to impossible to prove cohersion.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Sep 3, 2012, 01:08 PM
    You can talk to all the lawyers you want about suing on your own behalf. I have no idea if you will find one (on a contingency basis).

There are lawyers who specialize in suing lawyers. But even that sounds like a weak case. I'm sorry your ex signed off on this, but he did, and it's over.
    Expert

Sep 3, 2012, 02:23 PM
    ... .he coaherst him into taking the deal by emailing him 20 times and calling. ...
    That doesn't at all look like coercion. In fact the lawyer had a duty to let his client know about the deal.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 3, 2012, 06:27 PM
    I see no reason for appeal, and the lawyer took a large amount but I guess that was agreed to ahead. If you had no agreement on how much to pay the attorney, that you need to discuss with the attorney and complaint to the bar association

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I sue my husbands ex employer for emotional stress. We have lost everything [ 2 Answers ]

My husband was hurt at work. He has had to have 2 surg. On his back. When the doctor released him to go back to work his employer told him they had no work for him, he was there 18 years. Now he has to have surg again. We have lost our home an our credit. We have a lawyer for the WC. Case but were...

Can my husbands employer give my husbands ex info on his insurance? [ 1 Answers ]

My husbands ex called his place of employment and asked HR questions on his health insurance. They have two kids together. But I feel that before HR gave her the info they should have asked my husband if its o.k. to give his ex the info.

Can I sue my husbands mistress [ 1 Answers ]

Can I sue my husbands mistress for knowing we were married and purposely got pregnant from him. She has sent me several emails bragging about it

How can I find my ex-husbands employer? [ 1 Answers ]

My husband keeps changing jobs to skip out on alimony and child support. It's always a difficult process to try and find where he works which is all I need. Is there a way to get this information that can take me right to his employer? I have a court ordered garnishment from Colorado.

Can I sue my ex-husbands lawyer [ 3 Answers ]

My exhusbands lawyer stated in court that if and when he received a settlement from SSI she would see to it that a portion would be devoted to child support arrearages. He received his settlement but I did not receive my award. Can she be held financially responsible?

View more questions Search