Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Simbb Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 30, 2012, 05:15 PM
    Help! My dad won't let me move out - I'm 22
    Im a 22 year old woman and have been living out for the past 4 years for university. I have recently returned home as I've nearly finished my degree and my accommodation contract ran out. I have always wanted to live out even after uni and learn to be independent with a job, to have my own life. I want to move back to the old location of my uni as I loved it there but my dad won't let me, he goes " uve finished uni, ur not allowed to live out we're not white people, u have to stay at home" my dad is so controlling and knows how to make me feel guilty because I'm financially dependent on him. I told him I wanted to find a job there and start a little happy life for me for a couple of years then travel. He hit the roof and I'm so scared of him which makes me feel like I should just sit at home and suffer. If I manage to get a job there, do I just up and leave? How do I go about this? Why is he so controlling Abd makes me feel ****? Why am I so scared? Any advice would be appreciated, please help . Should I keep applying to jobs in the different location? How do I save money atm?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Aug 30, 2012, 05:18 PM
    So leave... you are an adult.

If he chains you up to stop you, then call the cops.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Aug 30, 2012, 05:21 PM
    This all depends on what you want.

If you don't care about a relationship with your father then move out, do what you want, and cut all ties with him. It sounds like that's what he'll do if you defy him.

Or you stay home, wait for him to find you a husband, don't use the degree you worked to get, just get married and move from one controlling household into possibly another.

Why did your father agree to college if he didn't want you working and being self sufficient?

Aug 30, 2012, 05:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    So leave....you are an adult.

If he chains you up to stop you, then call the cops.
    But I have no money, should I get a job here and save.. Or keep applying to jobs in the other location? My mum only supports me if I have a job in the other location not just me up and leaving without a reason.

Aug 30, 2012, 05:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    This all depends on what you want.

If you don't care about a relationship with your father then move out, do what you want, and cut all ties with him. It sounds like that's what he'll do if you defy him.

Or you stay home, wait for him to find you a husband, don't use the degree you worked to get, just get married and move from one controlling household into possibly another.

Why did your father agree to college if he didn't want you working and being self sufficient?
    True, all valid points. The problem is I'm having a hard time gaining courage, I feel so scared of him and the major problem is I have no money :s... It feels like indeed a plan but don't know how to for about it? Do I get a job here in this city then transfer to the city I want later? Do I just apply fit a job in the city I want? I'm giving myself only till the end of the year to sort something out, is this realistic? I'd really appreciate your advice mate
    Pets Expert

Aug 30, 2012, 05:27 PM
    If you have no job then you really don't have a choice.

Don't expect mommy and daddy to support you if you choose to be an adult and move out. That's up to you.

So apply for jobs, and when you get one save up, or move then.

Until then, you live under your fathers roof, he supports you, and therefore he makes the rules.

Aug 30, 2012, 05:29 PM

Don't expect mommy and daddy to support you if you choose to be an adult and move out. That's up to you.

Until then, you live under your fathers roof, he supports you, and therefore he makes the rules.
    Yeah you guess your right. Thank u
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Aug 30, 2012, 05:34 PM

Yes.. you may be an adult... but you are responsible to pay for your own things if you want to be independent.

Get a job and save... when you have enough then move. But don't expect them to help you do it. You have to decide what's most important to you.

The actual situation is they don't WANT you to move out... not that they won't let you. They don't have to happy about it, and they don't have to pay for it or help you do it, but they can't legally restrain you from doing it on your own.
    Pets Expert

Aug 30, 2012, 05:37 PM
    Being an adult isn't always easy, is it?

To truly be an adult you have to be able to support yourself without any help from anyone. If you want to move away from your parents home, you have to show them that you are capable.

Besides, it sounds like your father will not have anything more to do with you if you move out, so you can expect that he will not help you out if you get into trouble financially. So you really want to make sure you have all your ducks in a row before you bring out the big guns.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 31, 2012, 09:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Simbb View Post
    Yeah u guess ur right. Thank u

It's really hard to take you seriously as a responsible adult when you are using text speak.

Who paid for your education? I think Smoothy got it right the first time. You're an adult. Leave. Get a job in a fast food restaurant. Do whatever it takes.

I don't know what this means - " ur not allowed to live out we're not white people." I trust it isn't meant as a racial slur, insinuating that there are different rules or expectations for different races.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Aug 31, 2012, 09:57 AM
    I hate to be blunt but just find some guts and do what you want to do. You will never get ahead if you waffle around this.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I want to move in with my dad [ 3 Answers ]

I hate my Step Dad he's a jerk and I really wan't to move in with my Dad, I have talked to my dad and he said I could move in with him but know I need to tell my mom and I'm way to scard to do that what should I do?

Son wants to move in with dad [ 1 Answers ]

My son told me today he wants to move in with his dad. He is 13, makes good grades, etc. here. His dad is NOT a good influence. He has 2 more children, 3 and 1. Their home is always dirty, my son babysits off and on, and his dad is an ex felon who does drugs and drinks. I am NOT letting this...

What do I have to do to move with my dad [ 2 Answers ]

I'm 15 and my parents moved away from each otherwhen I was 6 and my dad lives in Florida and my mom lives in Kentucky I've wanted to live with my dad for the past 9 years my mom won't let me What do I have to do to move with my dad

Do I keep my sons dad, or move on? [ 6 Answers ]

Its not that he drinks everyday, he can even go without drinking for awhile. But when he drinks, he cannot have just one or two. He has to drink until he's drunk. My problem is, is that after a few drinks he becomes really really mean, he degrades me and turns into this crazy person. According to...

Move away case-dad [ 2 Answers ]

I have 2 move 2 NY for a better career and the chance to live in a house w/a backyard/pool instead of living here in an LA apt. I am going to real estate school and will be takinng over our family biz(managing an apt complex). I need(not just want) to take our daughter with me because her mom has...

View more questions Search