Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    smoore609 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 30, 2012, 12:58 PM
    Lien on my home
    I have this $50,000 dollar lean on my home. I have been told after 7 years its goes away if I have not paid on it and the bank has not asked me for one cent. I want to get a 2nd mortgage on my home but my bank says I can't because of this lean on it. I obviously can't pay the $50,000 off so is it true about the 7 years?

Shannon
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 30, 2012, 01:15 PM
    It depends on what the LIEN is for. If it is a debt It may never go away. Who is the lienholder?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 30, 2012, 03:16 PM
    There is no lien in the US that I am aware of that goes away after 7 years.

Not enough details of what type, what for to give any more answers
    Magpie95 Posts: 97, Reputation: 14

Aug 31, 2012, 07:16 AM
    Liens do not go away after any length of time, unless paid. They are filed with the county and become part of your chain of title. Even if you sell the house, the lien will appear on your settlement statement and will be paid before you get any money. Most likely, you will end up paying to sell your house, unless you happen to have more than 50K in equity in it.

A real estate tax lien never expires. Federal tax liens expire after 10 years, but then they just record an extension.

The "7 years" rule applies to credit reports. And even with those, an institute can pay to list it again on your credit after 7 years, if they choose.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can a lien be placed on my home? [ 6 Answers ]

I own a lot in a gated community(Pennsylvania) that has yearly dues. I cannot afford to pay them and am thinking about giving up the land to the community. They still will require me to pay the 2012 dues which I cannot afford. If I do not pay the dues can they put a lien on my home located in...

Lien on my home [ 1 Answers ]

I had a lien placed on my home. I have paid off the bill in question 3 months ago. How long before it is reported to the registry of deeds here in Massachusetts?

Lien on Home [ 1 Answers ]

How do I start the process of placing a lien on a home. A family member owes me 100,000.00

Lien on my home [ 2 Answers ]

A plumber did some work in a bathroom. The new marble counter was scratched when his worker installed a faucet. The plumber left a bill. I had told him about the scratches and I was in the process of finding someone reputable to fix the marred surface. He left a message on my phone telling me...

Lien on home? [ 2 Answers ]

Me and my husband defaulted on a few credit cards about 8 years ago. We still get stuff in mail from some of the collection agency. I have a lien on me that says expires on 08 I found online in from a coll./ atty. Type thing. In Ft Lauderdale some bills are on each of us some we together. We...

View more questions Search