Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MelanieRay Posts: 70, Reputation: 1

Aug 30, 2012, 09:21 AM
    My son hates school
    Hes 17 years old and a senior in high school. He applied to a magnet school for a medical program and did great for his 9th year. In 10th grade he changed his mind. I asked him why because I was worried that something was happening to him there that he didn't want to tell me about. He said that he didn't want to be in the program, he didn't like science classes 3 hours a day and all his friends went to a different school. His grades were OK but, he could have done better. We moved him to his home school for his 11th year and he did OK for half of the year but, started with the I hate school, can I stay home pleases for the rest of the year. My husbands "man up, i dont want to go to work all the time either but I go anyways" and my "Ill go to jail if you dont go to school" speeches go him to school most days last year (yes, he skipped a few (3) and had his privileges taken for awhile each time). Now 2 weeks into his last year and Ive received 2 auto calls telling me he hasn't been in school. For the first he claims he was there but late and the second.. "i was there but, i was in the auditorium taking pictures for student I.Ds, you signed the papers and so did all of my teachers, you saw it" I did see it, I did sign it. So, now he hates school again because everyone is stupid. He said he would deal with the attendance office. Id like to deal with it myself, I want to believe him but I'm afraid to
    Where do I go to get help with this? Would the school counsler be enough? Or maybe a private counsler? Its gone on for to long to be a rebel without a clue phase and he's so close to done.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Aug 30, 2012, 09:47 AM
    Let him deal with the attendance office himself. If the school made a mistake, and he can correct them, good. He has to learn that everyone makes mistakes, as will he when he is an adult next year.
    Half the parents across the land are in the boat you are in, and no one says it's easy. I think it sounds like you are doing a good job, and what your husband said is spot on. All you can do is keep doing what you are doing - guiding, helping, advising, but not too much, so that he takes responsibility. But you know all that. I think he will turn out OK. Dropping out sounds like fun but surely he knows that he'd lose hanging out with his friends, dating girls, sports, the whole bit. And he couldn't even pump gas or flip burgers. I don't think a little bribery hurts - a promise to pay for driver ed, or use of the car to look for jobs next summer, or half the cost of a used car - when he graduates.
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

Aug 30, 2012, 02:30 PM
    Magnet schools are well known for being very high pressure, and very difficult.

Have you suggested to him instead of dropping out, move back to a standard public school? Or even a charter school?

I have never liked or agreed with magnet schools to begin with. So I may be biased.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My son hates me [ 6 Answers ]

I am at loss. My son hates me. He would get on the phone and tell his father how much he hates me and how ignorant and foolish I am. I have sacrifice so much for him. He use to be loving and funny and we would often laugh together, but now he even insult the way I look. Saying demeaning things to...

My son hates me [ 5 Answers ]

My 27 year old son who I raised as a single parent is so mean to me , I'm convinced he hates me. He used to be a fun, kind, free spirited Child and young man. In the past 4 years he seems to be filled with hate and anger toward me all the time. Everything I say or do he berates and embarrasses me...

Some girl hates me in school and I don't know why. [ 3 Answers ]

I barley know her and she hangs out with several of my friends. She says bad things behind my back and when I asked her why she hates me she doesn't answer me. Should I just ignore her or what? ?

My son says he hates me [ 23 Answers ]

Ok, my oldest son is 3 and lately when he doesn't get his way he says he hates me. He doesn't say it to his dad, uncle, aunt, grandma... just me. My husband and my brother put him in the corner when they hear him say it, but I don't do anything because honestly I don't know what to do. Should...

Son hates private school need some help [ 9 Answers ]

My son has become very angry and abusive to his parents, because he claims that the private high school he helped select is an awful place. He is a sophomore this year. He said he didn't like the schhol last year, but had a pretty good year, got good grades, played fottball, and made friends. This...

View more questions Search