Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    redlipsticklena Posts: 148, Reputation: 0

Sep 4, 2012, 03:52 PM
    I do not meet her for another 2 week. She don't know any way I can get jobs. She send me to the easter seal. They cannot help me get jobs neither. Said it's economies fault.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 4, 2012, 03:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by redlipsticklena View Post
    i do not meet her for another 2 week. she dont know any way i can get jobs. she send me to the easter seal. they cannot help me get jobs neither. said it's economies fault.
    Did you ask at the library?

Sep 4, 2012, 04:00 PM
    The library want volunteer. I had my easter seal lady ask them on the phone. Nobody hiring. Just like your son that don't work nobody want to hire us. We are basically throw aways far as this world is concerned. Not to sound pathetic but its really true.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 4, 2012, 04:06 PM
    the library want volunteer. i had my easter seal lady ask them on the phone. nobody hiring. just like your son that don't work nobody want to hire us. we are basically throw aways far as this world is concerned. not to sound pathetic but its really true.
    Volunteers can become employees. That happened at the library I worked at for 25 years. Volunteer!!

My autistic son has worked part-time at a library for over 20 years.

Sep 4, 2012, 04:15 PM
    Sigh. Well even your son have a job then and steady works. How pathetic I cannot get anything. I do not want volunteer I need money.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 4, 2012, 04:35 PM
    sigh. well even your son have a job then and steady works. how pathetic i cannot get anything. i do not want volunteer i need money.
    You have to start somewhere and learn library skills. That is what you will do as a volunteer.

If you do a good job, you can ask them to hire you. The staff at libraries are always coming and going as they go off to college or move or get married or find new jobs. There are always job openings or some coming up. If you are already on the inside doing a good job as a volunteer, they will consider hiring you.

Sep 4, 2012, 04:44 PM
    Well one thing though. That is not true arounds here. I been in this town my whole life. Those 2 librarian work there, been there since I was FOURTEEEN. Lol.

Anyway I have lost all hope again and just want it all to end.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 4, 2012, 04:46 PM
    well one thing though. that is not true arounds here. i been in this town my whole life. those 2 librarian work there, been there since i was FOURTEEEN. lol.
    And you asked to become a volunteer.

Sep 4, 2012, 08:32 PM
    Face it wondergirls there some of us that's never going to get opportunity to work. Even if wewant to do that. It doesn't matter what we want. We're stuck on public assistance forever I guess. This world was not created for us.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 4, 2012, 08:39 PM
    face it wondergirls there some of us that's never going to get opportunity to work. even if wewant to do that. it doesn't matter what we want. we're stuck on public assistance forever i guess. this world was not created for us.
    So you are going to sit down and refuse to make any effort to check into volunteering at the library. "Poor little Lena."

I am so ashamed of you!

Sep 4, 2012, 09:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    So you are going to sit down and refuse to make any effort to check into volunteering at the library. "Poor little Lena."

I am so ashamed of you!

Oh well wondergirl if you fail mostly in life then you would stop trying to. I am done trying. I will be glad when its all over with. I hate it here
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 4, 2012, 09:10 PM
    You haven't failed. You haven't even tried.

Sep 5, 2012, 09:56 AM
    That is not true at all. I have try most of my life to be normal and it NEVER did work out for me. I try several thing: join clubs, go to college, try to get dates, try to make new friend and try to find jobs.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 5, 2012, 10:04 AM
    that is not true at all. i have try most of my life to be normal and it NEVER did work out for me. i try several thing: join clubs, go to college, try to get dates, try to make new friend and try to find jobs.
    No, you don't try to be "normal." You are who you are. You figure out your talents and abilities and work with them to figure out how you fit in.

Sep 5, 2012, 10:08 AM
    But that's what I done most of my life wondergirl. It now has been proven obvious that I odnt have any talents that I don't have any abilities and that I don't fits in. that is why everyday I wish to die. I am tired of living like this and not belonging. If I had great talents they would have been discover by now and put to use so obviously I am one of the peoples that's considered throwaways with nothing to offer anyone

I have asked a quetsion and it's not showing up in 'my questions' it is in mental health section on here
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 5, 2012, 10:14 AM
    Yes, you have talents and abilities. And there are certain things you want to avoid.

For instance, my autistic son will never be a warm and friendly person, so he has never applied for jobs where he has to deal with people a lot. But he is very good with keeping things in good order, with cleaning, and with noticing mistakes, so the job he has at the library shelving books is perfect for him.

A job coach would figure out what you are good at and would help you find the right job for you.

Sep 5, 2012, 09:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Yes, you have talents and abilities. And there are certain things you want to avoid.

For instance, my autistic son will never be a a warm and friendly person, so he has never applied for jobs where he has to deal with people a lot. But he is very good with keeping things in good order, with cleaning, and with noticing mistakes, so the job he has at the library shelving books is perfect for him.

A job coach would figure out what you are good at and would help you find the right job for you.

I am like that too. If he is good at the library he is lucky. He have a place they want him and where he fit in every day :(

I just stays home and wait to die.

The job coach lady is looking for me jobs and so am I. nobody want to hire me I am not good enough to work with my low skills and cannot get along with peoples. My other jobs I do not have any references because I do not talksto any of the people when I work there. They only want to socialize I don't understand that on the job where you're paid to be working not talking.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 5, 2012, 09:23 PM
    i am like that too. if he is good at the library he is lucky. he have a place they want him and where he fit in every day
    I was the volunteer coordinator at a different library and trained everyone who volunteered (ages 16-85, from any culture you can think of). Some had Down's syndrome, some had cerebral palsy, some had Asperger's, some were under a psychiatrist's care, some didn't speak much English, some were deaf, and some were just wanting to get out of the house for a couple of hours. I always found jobs for all of them--getting DVDs and music/book CDs ready to check out, barcoding and putting security in magazines, putting plastic jackets on new books, etc. I would have found a job you could do.

These volunteers got confidence, learned how to follow instructions and do good work, and then stayed with me or found real jobs somewhere else.

That's what I would check into for you--volunteering at your library to give you skills.

Sep 5, 2012, 09:49 PM
    Let me tell you something else wondergirls. One thing put me over the edge is that every SINGLE item online have to do with as men. I am basicallyconsider invisible to as community. Every time I tries to help myself by reading online its direct at MEN and how the world can help aspies men, how they be normal and get dates, etc. it's bullsh*t.

I can do some of those things at the library that you list. I am afraid if I go in there's and ask a about voluteer I will mess something up on that job. I cannot afford to mess up there because I go to the library all the time.

All my old job where I work I refuse to go back in there. How can I ask about volunteer to try it out and see how it works first? I have to know how it works.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 5, 2012, 09:59 PM
    Most of the Aspies are men. It tends to follow the male line in a family. My husband's sister is part-Aspie and has had lot of social and relationship problems through the years. She is 62 now and has Alzheimer's, so has new problems.

Can you sit still and listen when someone gives you directions? Will you follow the directions and do the work correctly? Will you ask for help if you need it?

For instance, the DVDs have to have the barcode in the same place on every one, the security strip has to be put on the disk in a certain way, the date due slip has to be stuck on in a certain place, and so on. Every DVD is the same, and none of the work is hard to do. It's the same with CDs--all look the same, with no creative work being done like the barcode on the back of this one and on the front of that one. All have to be done the same.

I'd call your library to see what volunteer work they have available and figure out if you could handle it. I would have to know your town's name, but not yours. Didn't you say you live near the Delaware River? Do the library people know you and seem to like you?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

I'm 15 & still I don't get my periods regularly... what 2 do? [ 2 Answers ]

I am a 15 year old girl. 2 years back I got my 1st peroods... After that I don't get periods every month. Instead I get every alternate month & according to me it bleeds very less... what to do?

5 y/o Cat, vomits regularly [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, my cat Nena vomits about every day or every other day, not all meals but regularly enough, literally almost everyday. She is 5 years old and appears to be fine and healthy, and since she eats, a LOT, it's been impossible to see was causes it, she pretty much vomits at random. Her diet has...

Regularly getting thrush [ 2 Answers ]

Hi on a regular basis I get small itch red spots on the head of my penis I went to the docs and he said its thrush. I use canesten cream each time they appear and they go the next day. But then a week or so later they reappear what could be causing this. I think thrush has something to do with...

View more questions Search