Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JHKH Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 29, 2012, 05:59 PM
    Can one shareholder of a 50/50 C-corp sell the other party
    If a couple is getting a divorce and each owns 50/50 share of a privately held C-Corp, can one spouse sell the other's shares without permission? Can a party sell his/her own shares without notice or permission?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Aug 30, 2012, 04:28 AM
    Is this a trick question? No, of course not. What are the circumstances?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Sep 8, 2012, 06:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JHKH View Post
    Can a party sell his/her own shares without notice or permission?
    Hello J:

Without an agreement between the shareholders NOT to do so, SURE you can...

excon
    Expert

Sep 8, 2012, 07:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello J:

Without an agreement between the shareholders NOT to do so, SURE you can...

excon
    You are quite right. I don't know what I was thinking on August 30th. I must have meant the one thing and somehow wrote the other.
    Expert

Jul 6, 2013, 12:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AK lawyer View Post
    You are quite right. I don't know what I was thinking on August 30th. I must have meant the one thing and somehow wrote the other.
    Now I see why I was confused.

The OP asked two opposite questions:

• "can one spouse sell the other's shares without permission?"; and
    • "Can a party sell his/her own shares without notice or permission?"

The answer is, of course, "no" to the first question, and "yes" to the other.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I refile a case as a corp if I don't have standing as a sole shareholder? [ 1 Answers ]

I was the sole shareholder of a corporation and sued somebody who breached a contract with my company as the sole shareholder. I just realized that I don't have standing as the sole shareholder. Can I refile the case as the corporation? How do I do that?

How to sell a house when one party refuses [ 4 Answers ]

My Mom and I own 2/3rd of a house in NY - we want to sell. My brother the other 1/3rd does not want to sell, does not want to buy our portion. Just refuses everything. Help!

US Dept of State M&IE Per diem allowance by majority shareholder in a CA C-corp [ 1 Answers ]

I have a question about the use of US Dept. of State foreign per Diem for M&I expenses for my own use while on business abroad. (Foreign per diems from the Dept. of State website) I own 90% of the stock in a California C corp, and am the only employee. (The IRS considers me a personal services...

Can a seller sell a piece of property to a third party [ 4 Answers ]

Hi: Can a seller sell a piece of property to a third party while the property is under contract for deed. The property is in Florida, and there is no provision in the contract for the seller to sell the property. Not merely just transferring the note, but actually transferring the property. ...

Sell of stock in C Corp [ 1 Answers ]

The corporation (a c corp) has 100 shares of common stock no par value. All the current shares are owned 50/50 by myself and my partner. Another coporation wants to purchase 50% ownership in the corporation at a price already agreed upon. I assume then that they are purchasing outstanding...

View more questions Search