Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    indecided Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 29, 2012, 07:49 AM
    Company moved across states, received 3 state w-2's.
    My company moved its physical location from the state of Missouri to Kansas last year.

My residence was in Missouri and I moved to Kansas shortly after the company moved as well.

As a result, I received 3 W-2s from the company with the same EIN. One for MO, and one for KS and another for K3 (not a mistake, it said K3).

My best bet is that due to tax breaks with Kansas, the company was issued a different state ID number for KS after their move.

When filing the tax return (using TaxAct), I filed it under one W2 entry with 2 KS state entries and 1 MO state entry.

TaxAct is flagging the KS entries as a possible duplicate. Since this is a unique but legitimate situation, should I submit my taxes this way, and since I can't possibly choose a nonexistent "K3" state from the drop-down box, should I submit my return this way?

Any guidance would be much appreciated!
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Aug 29, 2012, 08:19 AM
    Are the wages and withholding amounts reported on the KS and K3 W2's the same? If they are, then they would seem to be duplicates and you would include only one of them. The important thing is that the sum of the W2's that you report on your tax return should equal your actual wages and withholding for the year.

Aug 29, 2012, 08:26 AM
    ebaines,

The wages and withholding amounts are totally different, and they sum up to the total actual wages for the year.
    Expert

Aug 29, 2012, 08:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by indecided View Post
    ebaines,

The wages and withholding amounts are totally different, and they sum up to the total actual wages for the year.
    Then you need to incluide all three W2's with your return. The IRS really doesn't care how you enter the data into TaxAxt - all they care about is that the totals reported for wages and withholding are accurate. So enter the two Kansas W2's as "KS" and don't worry that there's no option for "K3." This will also make your part-year resident KS income tax return come out correctly.

Aug 29, 2012, 08:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ebaines View Post
    Then you need to incluide all three W2's with your return. The IRS really doesn't care how you enter the data into TaxAxt - all they care about is that the totals reported for wages and withholding are accurate. So go ahead and enter the two Kansas W2's as "KS" and don't worry that there's no option for "K3." This will also make your part-year resident KS income tax return come out correctly.
    ebaines,

Sorry! I spoke too soon, my brain isn't working this morning.

MO + K3 add up to the total wages. The KS W2 doesn't fit in at all.

Could it be that the KS W2 wages is part of the K3 wages, and I should just include the MO and K3 W2s?
    Expert

Aug 29, 2012, 08:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by indecided View Post
    Could it be that the KS W2 wages is part of the K3 wages, and I should just include the MO and K3 W2s?
    That seesm logical, but I suggest you contact the payroll department and ask why they sent you two W2's for Kansas. Are you sure that one of them isn't marked as "corrected?"

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Had no earnings in 2012 in NC, moved to a new state. Must I pay state taxes in origin [ 7 Answers ]

Had no earnings in 2012 in NC, moved to a new state. Must I pay state taxes in original state? I lived in NC for 1/2 the year in 2012. I still have a house that will soon be up for sale. I took most of the year off and had no earnings in North Carolina. I did pay property taxes of course. I ...

A company issued 5-year, 7% bonds with a par value of $100,000. The company received [ 4 Answers ]

A company issued 5-year, 7% bonds with a par value of $100,000. The company received $97,947 for the bonds. Using the straight-line method, the amount of interest expense for the first semiannual interest period is:

A company issued 5-year, 7% bonds with a par value of $100,000. The company received [ 1 Answers ]

A company issued 5-year, 7% bonds with a par value of $100,000. The company received $97,947 for the bonds. Using the straight-line method, the amount of interest expense for the first semiannual interest period is:

State filing with 4 w-2's from 4 states [ 1 Answers ]

I lived in CO x 2 years. Left Co in 5/2008,worked 3 months in Alaska, 2 months in WI and then to CA for 2 months. My federal file was filed resident of CO,though I no longer have a physical residence there,and will not be returning there. I will not be staying in CA. I know Alaska I do not need to...

2's Company 3's A Crowd [ 1 Answers ]

Recently I took in my grandson's kitten,I already had a cat and a dog,well anyhow, my 10 year old mancoon cat, uses my dog's puppy pad's and his bed to urinate in,this is getting very agervating,this has been going on now since 2 week's after I took the kitten in, It's not cause the litter box...

View more questions Search