Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    brslngrl Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 27, 2012, 08:35 PM
    Abandonment?
    We have had a thirteen year old girl of no relation to either of us, in our home for two years. Neither one of her parents has called or tried to contact this girl in the last thirty days. Would we be able to file for abandonment under Utah state law?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 27, 2012, 11:37 PM
    Not really, and this can turn bad on you very fast ?

1. how did you come to have the girl in your home ?
    2. was her parents aware she was in your home? Have
    3. you have no legal right to put her in school, get her medical care or more. So it is very likey you have broken several laws having her for two years.
    4. One can not just keep someone else's child for two years

Yes you need to report this to social services, but it is very likely the child will be taken into custody.

What you need is to find the parents and get legal guardianship signed ove

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Abandonment [ 1 Answers ]

My father is married to his second wife and he doesn't want to lose the things that he has worked hard for. His wife leaves for days at a time and the last time was for 3 weeks. He doesn't know what to do. He isn't sure if it is illegal to change the locks, pack her stuff and put it in his garage...

Abandonment [ 2 Answers ]

My stepsons biological mother has had no contact with us in 5months now. It is court ordered she keep us informed whenever she moves or changes her phone number. I currently know she has moved 3 times and a possibility is moving out of state. I have no active phone number and have no idea where she...

Abandonment [ 1 Answers ]

My daughter is turning seven in a couple days. My husband and I have been together since she was 13 months old he's the one she calls daddy and he's the one whose been finacially supporting her. Her reallu dad was in and out of her life till she was 4 he was arrested and sent to prison serving a...

Is this abandonment? [ 1 Answers ]

My daughter's father has full custody of our daughter. I get visitation every other weekend. He dropped her off to me 10/28/2011 and as of today 11/17/2011 I still have her. He has not called nor will he return my phone calls. At what point does this become child abandonment, or do I legally have...

Abandonment in NC [ 2 Answers ]

I need to know how to file for abandonment in NC. Also I have filed for child support because he has not helped or been there in almost 2 years and my daughter is 3 but he keeps getting it put off over and over again so please if someone knows how to file for abandonment in North Carolina please...

View more questions Search