Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lacuran8626 Posts: 270, Reputation: 57

Mar 7, 2007, 11:44 AM
    Abusive debt collectors
    I am behind on my bills due to a temporary financial crisis but continue to pay as I'm able - about one to two months behind on a few debts. I am unemployed but working as a temp pending a court decision about whether I can leave Minnesota with my son (his father contests the move - we are divorced). Once I move, I have career employment and will be able to pay off all of my debt. House is for sale, and equity of home would also permit me to pay off all my debt. I've repeated this to every creditor about a thousand times. Even if I've just made a payment, because they want more, they call daily. I've asked them to stop calling and to deal with me in writing because I cannot tell them anything new. The repeatedly ask me to confirm my address, etc.

I have now started to hang up if there is any delay at all in the call connecting when I pick up, or if it is a voice I do not recognize to avoid these people. What else can I do?

I don't want to declare bankruptcy.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 7, 2007, 12:22 PM
    Get caller ID and do not answer their call or any call that says "caller unknown". They may get a judgement for a lien on your property sale but you were planning to pay them anyway.
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Mar 7, 2007, 12:28 PM
    Contact a non-profit credit counselling service if there is one in your area, in Canada if you send a registered letter to the collection agency asking them to only send letters they have to comply or face fines from the consumer protection agency (run by the govt) although these laws may be different in other countries.

Edit: If the above is not available make a payment plan with them, something you can afford and don't miss payments, then when they call you tell them my next agreed payment is on (blank) why are you calling, they will really try and force you to make a higher payment then you suggest is possible so really stick to what you can afford, maybe if you can afford 50 a month (or whatever) offer them 40 a month and let them talk you up to 50 so they feel like they won!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 7, 2007, 02:05 PM
    Send a letter to all your creditors saying that they should only contact you by mail in the future. Explain to them that you have every intention of paying your bills as soon as you are able. Also explain that you will keep them informed, by mail, of any change in address and situation.
    Squiffy Posts: 499, Reputation: 84

Mar 7, 2007, 02:13 PM
    Change your phone number if you can. These people don't listen to reason half the time.
    landlord advocate Posts: 283, Reputation: 36

Mar 7, 2007, 02:14 PM
    Once a collection agency is told not to call you again, legally they are not permitted to call again. Next time one of them calls ask for the person's name, name of company and address. Type a form letter on your computer. Fill in their name etc. and send them written confirmation that you have told them on such and such a date that they are not permitted to call again. Also state that you are giving them written notice not to call again. Keep a copy of the letter and send the mailing via "Certificate of Mailing". This will cost you 90 cents at the post office. It would be great to send it registered, but too expensive.
    lacuran8626 Posts: 270, Reputation: 57

Mar 7, 2007, 05:36 PM
    Thanks to everyone who responded. I greatly appreciate it. I will use several of these suggestions. Is there any recourse if they call after I tell them they may not do so in writing?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dealing with Debt Collectors, New Defense, Need feedback [ 2 Answers ]

Affirmative Defenses: Prior Course of Dealing No Prior Course of Dealing This is a defense to a lawsuit based on a cause of action for account stated. In order for a plaintiff to prevail on a claim (cause of action) for account stated, he must allege and prove...

Debt collectors [ 6 Answers ]

Is there a time limit to collecting a debt?

What happens after the debit collectors? [ 1 Answers ]

I haven't made a credit card payment since July of 2005. All three of my credit cards have sent my debit to debit collectors. They (those nasty collectors) call and leave messages several times a week. I have received letters asking for confirmation of the debit, but I have never responded or...

Info for Bottle Collectors [ 1 Answers ]

Just found a milk bottle dated 1911. I've got many dozens of old bottles, 95% of which have been found at 1. Former bottle dumps. Look just past old fence lines of properties. Back in the old days when all trash was burned, folks would dump their bottles over the fence "out back". If...

Being threatened by debt collectors [ 4 Answers ]

My grandmother baught a car and it ended up being repo'd. That was over a year ago.Now there is a company and she isn't sure if it's a law firm or a collection company.The letter she has says both it says that she now owes 9000.00 on the car.She is also getting calls from them every day.They are...

View more questions Search