Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chillywilly67 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 7, 2007, 11:37 AM
    A year in debt
    I had a debt with several credit cards, I was making payments, my credit was clean. A year ago I had to move overseas due to a family emergency, I have not been able to move back to the US, nor was I able to make payments while gone. Itīs bad I know. Looks like I maybe able to finally come back, how should I go about fixing my credit?
    How much trouble am I in?
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Mar 7, 2007, 11:48 AM
    Your credit's probably messed up, if you could make a large payment to the one you owe the most to right now and explain the situation they may not put any more bad marks on your credit, then go back to a payment plan.

Or if you have an account at a us bank still, set up automatic payments immediately.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 7, 2007, 11:53 AM
    You aren't in much trouble but you are in more debt. Haven't you been contacted by your creditors by mail? Leaving the country does not forgive your debt and you could have been paying. They do not care that you left, they just know you stopped paying and now you'll have interest and maybe fees to pay. The sooner you start fixing your debt the better off you will be.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 10, 2007, 10:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by chillywilly67
    how should I go about fixing my credit?
    how much trouble am I in?
    Hello chilly:

Call up the credit card companies and ask them. They'll tell you. They're not ashamed.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

20 year old debt [ 9 Answers ]

I'm 41 years old. When I was about 22 in 1986 I bought a car from a dishonest salesman. When I realised my mistake I refused to pay another dime on the payments and purposely allowed the car to be reposessed. This debt was on my credit report for 10 years. After silence for approx 20 years I get a...

Getting sued for a 10 year old debt [ 5 Answers ]

I received a letter from a lawyer saying I had a 10 year old mastercard with $5000 outstanding. I called the credit card company and they know nothing about it. I vagley remember something about it but thought it was all taken care of. The law firm is very aggressive and have a million horrible ...

Lawyer after me for 12 year old Credit Card Debt [ 8 Answers ]

The old story of when I was younger and foolish with my credit card story applies here! I ran a $1000 debt up with a large retail company(eatons) about 12years ago.The company has since then went bankrupt here in Canada in the late 90's. About 7 years ago I cleaned up my bad credit by...

9 year old car repo debt [ 3 Answers ]

First thing, I got to say I'm new at this. I've never had any problems will this type of thing, so I'm at a loss as to which way to go. Here's the problem. I applied for a home equity line of credit this past week. I had no issues with my credit and I was approved with no problems. I put my...

14 year old debt [ 8 Answers ]

My husbands ex wife opened an account with a jewerly company in 1992. I just got a letter today 2006 that we owe all this money. Can they come back after 14 years and demand money after not asking for anything before? Also shouldn't that be the ex wife's responcibitly cause she openind the account...

View more questions Search