Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rhbell Posts: 47, Reputation: -1

Aug 26, 2012, 01:59 PM
    Computer motherboard bad won't run monitor
    I had my computer checked because sometimes the monitor would not come on and I was told the motherboard was bad. I got a second opinion and was told it was a boat anchor.
    The motherboard is obsolite and if I did find one to replace it, there would be the chance that my other systems might start to fail.
    I have not been able to get the monitor to come on since I got it back, so I bought a new computer. The old one is XP the new one is Windows 7.

I would like to get files off my old computer but I do not know how without a monitor. Going on-line I see that the hard drive can be removed and a converter bought to achieve a download.

My question is, could anyone give me advise on how to do it?
    What I should actually buy? And if there might be a video tutorial? So I do not mess it up.
    Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks rh
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Aug 26, 2012, 04:33 PM
    If your former computer is a "boat anchor" it likely had a hard drive and motherboard with an IDE or parallel ATA interface. Your new computer's drive and motherboad will have a serial ATA (SATA) interface. To connect the former hard drive to the new computer as a second drive to transfer your files, an internal SATA-to-IDE adapter or an external IDE-to-USB converter can be used. You may also need a internal SATA-to-IDE power adapter depending on what power connections your new computer has.

If you aren't going to leave the old hard drive in the new computer after the files are transferred, consider taking both machines to a local computer shop and having them transfer the files. This affords the least opportunity to "mess it up."

To do it yourself, the following are examples of the type of gizmos needed to connect the old drive internally:
    Newegg.com: SYBA SD-ADA50016 SATA to IDE (IDE to SATA) Bi-Directional Adapter
    Newegg.com: StarTech LP4SATAFM6IN 6in SATA to LP4 Power Cable Adapter - F/M (Optional depending on new computer power connectors.)

To connect externally:
    Newegg.com: Vantec 2.5"/3.5"/5.25" SATA/IDE to USB 2.0 Adapter - Model CB-ISATAU2

I've used a variant of the Vantac product for several years on multiple drive models without issues. I have not used the Syba product to be able to comment on its performance.

Posting the two computer models and motherboard models may yield less general responses.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Aug 26, 2012, 05:18 PM
    If your old motherboard had a built in video. Then you may not need to throw the whole thing away and just try installing a video card in it. That way you cn transfer the files you need and still have it as a backup.

Older video cards are usually dirt cheap.

Aug 26, 2012, 05:55 PM
    Thanks I will give it a try, money is tight right now with new computer payment, so will let you know when I give it a try.
    Thanks rh

Aug 26, 2012, 05:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Scleros View Post
    If your former computer is a "boat anchor" it likely had a hard drive and motherboard with an IDE or parallel ATA interface. Your new computer's drive and motherboad will have a serial ATA (SATA) interface. To connect the former hard drive to the new computer as a second drive to transfer your files, an internal SATA-to-IDE adapter or an external IDE-to-USB converter can be used. You may also need a internal SATA-to-IDE power adapter depending on what power connections your new computer has.

If you aren't going to leave the old hard drive in the new computer after the files are transferred, consider taking both machines to a local computer shop and having them transfer the files. This affords the least opportunity to "mess it up."

To do it yourself, the following are examples of the type of gizmos needed to connect the old drive internally:
    Newegg.com: SYBA SD-ADA50016 SATA to IDE (IDE to SATA) Bi-Directional Adapter
    Newegg.com: StarTech LP4SATAFM6IN 6in SATA to LP4 Power Cable Adapter - F/M (Optional depending on new computer power connectors.)

To connect externally:
    Newegg.com: Vantec 2.5"/3.5"/5.25" SATA/IDE to USB 2.0 Adapter - Model CB-ISATAU2

I've used a variant of the Vantac product for several years on multiple drive models without issues. I have not used the Syba product to be able to comment on its performance.

Posting the two computer models and motherboard models may yield less general responses.
    I don't know enough about computers to provide more info,but

Thanks I will give this a try, money is tight right now, with new computer payment, but I will comment on what I have done as soon as I try.
    Thanks for your reply. Rh

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Computer motherboard question [ 6 Answers ]

Does the p5kpl/1600(motherboard) support Sapphire Technology ATI Radeon 6850 HD 2gb editon? I also have 600w psu

Motherboard - Computer slow startup [ 1 Answers ]

Hi you, A few months ago I fried my motherboard trying to put memory in, I guess maybe I didn't ground myself. Anyway I had a new one installed and now when I startup it hangs on a black screen with a flashing dash in the top right corner for about 30 seconds before clicking it to startup mode....

Monitor: NO Signal, When connected to MotherBoard slot [ 3 Answers ]

Hi all, I am using P4, 2.8 Ghz, 40gb, 512 mb, MSI Turbo cache VGA card (PCI Slot). It has been working fine since a year and a half but yesterday when I plugged new monitor in with my PC, it said NO SIGNAL. I replaced the monitor with old one (which was previously working fine) it also said...

No signal for monitor -- damaged motherboard? [ 1 Answers ]

Ok, hopefully somebody out there can help me out: This is a little long but I want to give you all the info I can- My Dad has a computer that’s a few years old, about a month ago it stopped turning on so he went and bought a new power supply and installed it. Now it came on but wouldn’t...

View more questions Search