Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    karabella Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 7, 2007, 11:04 AM
    Should I ask out a coworker?
    Over the last couple years I have become friends with a coworker (who is single). When he first started working here I was at the end of a relationship and not ready to explore new people. Now I'm ready to date again.

I'm concerned that if I ask him out it could ruin a good working relationship. I've had the impression that he's interested from time to time, but he is also quite shy. On the other hand, I've gotten to know him and think very highly of him. Life does not wait forever and I wonder if I should risk the safety of the status quo?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 7, 2007, 11:29 AM
    I was told years ago not to "fish" in a company pond, I broke the rules on many occasions and it has always been a disaster.

Unless this is the person of your dream and you never break up with them, it is OK, but if you ever break up your working relationship will never be the same
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Mar 7, 2007, 12:57 PM
    Very true, things could get weird at work afterwards. But if this is just a part time job and you really want to see where it could go, go for it. If things don't work out and work gets weird look for a new job.
    angelica Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2007, 01:31 AM
    I agree, if it a part time job, things are sdimplified for you.If its your regular job do some brainstorming.
    Depends on how much you want to take the risk, and I would love to know what your risk assessment came to, because for one you should know that if things don't turn out well in the long run, and you have to see each after that could you be able to handle that.
    Just a few points you should put down while thinking of asking him out, are

From your communications with him, what is the most probable answer that he will give.. a yes or no.
    If he does give the yes, can you handle the what next...
    To play it safe , I think you should consider doing a group office outing, test the waters before you take the deep! And give it time, his mind might be going through the same querries
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Mar 8, 2007, 02:53 PM
    There are better places to find some one, and safer too, as you never know when a relationship will affect your job status. A bad date could get one of you fired then what?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is inappropriate behavior for a coworker and your spouse? [ 8 Answers ]

My husband got a text message from a female coworker around 11pm at night, he was at home with me, this was also the night of the company Christmas party, which we decided to not attend as we have 2 small children and no babysitter. The first text message was "where are you" and the second was...

Male coworker avoiding me [ 11 Answers ]

There is a new guy at work--been there about six weeks. He was so sweet and nice at first--made it a point to make eye contact with me and say hi, even if I didn't notice he was around at first. His smile lit up the world. I've smiled and made eye contact right back, and found reasons to visit his...

View more questions Search