Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AdanChin Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Aug 26, 2012, 07:08 AM
    Balance day adjustments help?
    Hi, I have some balance day adjustments that I need to record, wondering if some of you could help me?

1. An apprentice is paid $200 a week. He is owed two weeks wages.

2. The business has use of a motor vehicle purchased 1 January 2010, at a cost of $32,000. It has an expected life of 4 years and an estimate trade-in value of $4000. Straight-line depreciation is used.

3. Supplies on hand 1 January 2012 were valued at $300, and supplies on hand 30 June were 2012 were valued at $550.

with question 1, is this the right entry?:
    Wages expenses Dt
    Wages payable Cr

Question 2, (32,000-4,000) / 4 years = $7,000 Per Annum. According to straight line depreciation. What I don't know is, does the date have anything to do with it? And how do I record this transaction?

Question 3, Is this the right entry?:
    Supplies expenses Dt
    Supplies Cr

I'm pretty sure I have questions 1 and 3 correct, just need you guys to verify it for me, but I really have a problem when it comes to depreciation, can someone please help?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 26, 2012, 08:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by AdanChin View Post
    Hi, i have some balance day adjustments that i need to record, wondering if some of you could help me?

1. An apprentice is paid $200 a week. He is owed two weeks wages.

2. The business has use of a motor vehicle purchased 1 january 2010, at a cost of $32,000. It has an expected life of 4 years and an estimate trade-in value of $4000. Straight-line depreciation is used.

3. Supplies on hand 1 january 2012 were valued at $300, and supplies on hand 30 june were 2012 were valued at $550.

with question 1, is this the right entry?:
    Wages expenses Dt
    Wages payable Cr

Question 2, (32,000-4,000) / 4 years = $7,000 Per Annum. according to straight line depreciation. What i dont know is, does the date have anything to do with it? and how do i record this transaction?

Question 3, Is this the right entry?:
    Supplies expenses Dt
    Supplies Cr

I'm pretty sure i have questions 1 and 3 correct, just need you guys to verify it for me, but I really have a problem when it comes to depreciation, can someone please help?

Please post your answers and someone will review them. AMHD does not do homework; therefore, we need your answers before we do the work.
    pready Posts: 3,197, Reputation: 207
    Ultra Member

Sep 2, 2012, 10:53 AM
    Number 1, this is correct

Number 2, you have to know the dates. Based on question number 3 you are doing your entries on Jun 30, so you have to account for 6 months of depreciation. So continue with your solution of $(32,000 cost - 4,000 salvage value)/4yrs useful life * 6 months of use /12 months. Your accounts are: Debit Depreciation Expense and Credit Accumulated Depreciation

Number 3, you may be missing information like supplies purchased during the time, your amounts could be wrong, or you are missing your supplies account balance on 30 Jun because the information provided seems like an actual physical count balance instead of an account balance. If your account balance is $600 then you would have to do an ajusting entry to bring your account balance into agreement with your physical balance and your adjusting entry is correct. Debit Supplies Expense for $50 and Credit Supplies for $50. Now your Supplies account balance is $550.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Balance day adjustments. Please check for me. Any help is greatly appreciated [ 0 Answers ]

Sorry if formatting is not quite right but I had to try to type everything in as I kept getting an error when I tried to attach a word file Extract from General ledger at 31 December 2008 Stock 44700 Accounts receivable ...

Prepaid rent- Balance day adjustments [ 1 Answers ]

What is the figure for the balance day adjustment for prepaid rent on 31/05/08. It was paid on 25th April for 3 months in advance. Balance day adjustments for 30/04/08 were Prepaid rent 1252.75, rent 1252.75. What is the balance day adjustment for 31/05/08??

Do reversing entries need to be made for some balance day adjustments [ 1 Answers ]

Do reversing entries need to be made for some balance day adjustments?

Balance Day Adjustments [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, have an assignment on MYOB, and have a list of balance sheet adjustments that I have to enter. Really need some help in what accounts to exactly alter on the journal. Here are the instructions and what my thoughts are on each one please let me know if I'm on the right track!   --...

View more questions Search