Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ashley666 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 26, 2012, 01:11 AM
    Personal belongings
    Hello, I live in Hamilton Ontario and my roommate kicked me out... I am not on the lease but had mail going to that address... She's telling me I can not have my items unless I pay her $500 which I believe is extortion... What do I do :(
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Aug 26, 2012, 01:39 AM
    Is $500 what you owe her in rent ?
    ashley666 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 26, 2012, 01:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    Is $500 what you owe her in rent ?
    Nope my father paid her already on August first for August and today is only the 25th and rent is only $400
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 26, 2012, 05:20 AM
    You go to the police and you show ID showing you lives there. You tell them that the room mate refuses to allow you to get your things. The police should accompany you to allow you pick up your things.

Then file suit against her for an illegal eviction.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 26, 2012, 06:40 AM
    I agree, get something that shows you live there, and go to the polce
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Aug 26, 2012, 06:47 AM
    "Distress abolished

40. No landlord shall, without legal process, seize a tenant’s property for default in the payment of rent or for the breach of any other obligation of the tenant. 2006, c. 17, s. 40."
    Residential Tenancies Act, 2006, S.O. 2006, c. 17

Except the above doesn't seem to apply in the instant situation:

"Interpretation

2. (1) In this Act,
    landlord” includes,
    (a) the owner of a rental unit or any other person who permits occupancy of a rental unit, other than a tenant who occupies a rental unit in a residential complex and who permits another person to also occupy the unit or any part of the unit,

... "

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to divide up personal belongings for estate? [ 9 Answers ]

I am making a will right now, the question I have is, how best to divide up personal belongings like art and antiques among any survivors? I don't need a legal help, just advice on what others have done. I mean there is only one of some items, it can't be cut into several pieces. Do I get an...

How do I get my personal belongings from an ex? [ 1 Answers ]

For nine months, I spent half the week living in my own home, and the other half in that of my partner. It was our intention to live together, so I was told to leave my things there, rather than bringing stuff back and forth. This included things of significant value, including furniture, and...

Rights on personal belongings [ 3 Answers ]

I am wanting to know about rights for personal belongings. Here's the situation: My friend moves out of his house that he shared wit his ex-girlfriend. That same girlfriend and his family helped him move out. He moved his belongings to his sisters house. He was leaving out of town the next day...

Do I have the right to my personal belongings? [ 2 Answers ]

My ex boyfriend and I were together for 4 1/2 years. About a month ago, he decided that he (we) were leaving Arizona to move back east where oure families are. We packed up everything (mostly my things) and we drove cross country for 4 days making plans to go back and put HIS condo up for sale...

Personal belongings [ 2 Answers ]

What is the definition of personal belongings?

View more questions Search