Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MayraCarlos Posts: 26, Reputation: -1

Aug 25, 2012, 10:24 PM
    Im 16 and want to get married
    I met my boyfriend to Facebook , he used to live 24 hours away so he moved down to were I live and we live with my parents, we want to get married but how do I convience my parents?
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Aug 25, 2012, 10:25 PM
    You are too young to get married. How old is he?

Aug 25, 2012, 10:26 PM
    17.. We've been together for 8months and he treats me really good.. And we really do love each other
    Education Expert

Aug 25, 2012, 10:32 PM
    You need to finish school and wait until you are an adult. Has he finished high school? Does he have a good job? How will you support yourselves?

Aug 25, 2012, 10:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by teacherjenn4 View Post
    You need to finish school and wait until you are an adult. Has he finished high school? Does he have a good job? How will you support yourselves?
    he's been living with me for a while if I marry him ill continue school , he graduated and yes he has a job to support both of us
    christianf Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 26, 2012, 12:22 AM
    I am 16 as well and I would like to get married to the boy I have been with for 10 months however, given the situation it would be difficult on him. He may have a job but when he is paying all of the bills including yours the relationship will change quite a bit. And with you going to school and not working it will put a lot of stress on him and that would just make your relationship harder. If you really love him and you are really wanting to marry him then I suggest you wait until you are at least 18 so he can save up money and not have to stress or struggle with anything. I know it will be difficult but it will make your relationship that much stronger.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Aug 26, 2012, 02:41 AM
    Marriage isn't some pie in the sky romantic thing with a pretty gown and lots of gifts. It's serious business, and it's for people who are ready FINANCIALLY to go out on their own and possible not only support themselves but also support a child.
    I'll bet you $100 that I could sit down with your boyfriend's finances and prove that you can't possible survive together. And it's downright embarrassing to get married while you are living with parents.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 26, 2012, 05:18 AM
    ANY question on law needs to include your general locale as laws vary by area.

Most areas do not permit marriage under 18. Some will allow it with parental consent. So you need to tell us where you are.

Does he have his own room in your parent's house? How long have you known him?

Aug 26, 2012, 09:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    ANY question on law needs to include your general locale as laws vary by area.

Most areas do not permit marriage under 18. Some will allow it with parental consent. So you need to tell us where you are.

Does he have his own room in your parent's house? How long have you known him?
    I live in Wyoming,and the state does allow it.. But if we were to get married here and then move someplace else, out of state do you know if our marriage would still be valid, I read online that in some states it won't but I would like more feedbak on that

Aug 26, 2012, 09:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    Marriage isn't some pie in the sky romantic thing with a pretty gown and lots of gifts. It's serious business, and it's for people who are ready FINANCIALLY to go out on their own and possible not only support themselves but also support a child.
    I'll bet you $100 that I could sit down with your boyfriend's finances and prove that you can't possible survive together. And it's downright embarrassing to get married while you are living with parents.
    actually he makes 1,000 dollars a week so I think we would be fine, and we would move out as soon as we get married, I'm not so worried about money because every month he pays my mom rent and helps pay the bills and recieces a check every week for 1000 or sometimes even more

Aug 26, 2012, 09:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by christianf View Post
    I am 16 as well and I would like to get married to the boy I have been with for 10 months however, given the situation it would be difficult on him. He may have a job but when he is paying all of the bills including yours the relationship will change quite a bit. And with you going to school and not working it will put a lot of stress on him and that would just make your relationship harder. If you really love him and you are really wanting to marry him then I suggest you wait until you are at least 18 so he can save up money and not have to stress or struggle with anything. I know it will be difficult but it will make your relationship that much stronger.
    well I would keep going to school and working, I do it already, and I make enough to buy my own things pay my phone bill and hell pay some bills and he makes 1,000 dollars a week, sometimes even more so money would be he problem

Aug 26, 2012, 09:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by MayraCarlos View Post
    well i would keep going to school and working, i do it already, and i make enough to buy my own things pay my phone bill and hell pay some bills and he makes 1,000 dollars a week, sometimes even more so money would be he problem
    Wouldn't be a problem sorry typo
    Education Expert

Aug 26, 2012, 09:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by MayraCarlos View Post
    Wouldnt be a problem sorry typo
    Why is he living with your family if he makes at least $1,000 a week? If he is a "man" who is ready for marriage, he should have his own apartment or house. What does his family think about this? Does he have his own room in your parent's house?

Aug 26, 2012, 09:25 AM
    Why is he living with your family if he makes at least $1,000 a week? If he is a "man" who is ready for marriage, he should have his own apartment or house. What does his family think about this? Does he have his own room in your parent's house?
    Ever since he got here he said he wanted to move out.. The problem with that is his parents are in chicago, were in Wyoming, he's under age so he couldn't legally rent or buy a place on his own and besides I told him and my parents I wanted him to live here, and yes he has his own room
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 26, 2012, 09:25 AM

Very good point, so I'll repeat it - Why, if he's making $1,000/week does he live with your parents?

If your parents have no problem with you living with him in their house I doubt they'll care if you marry him and move out.

What does he do that pays a 17-year old high school graduate (maybe), $1,000 a week?

Yes, a marriage which is performed legally (based on age) in one State is recognized in others.

Aug 26, 2012, 09:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    Very good point, so I'll repeat it - Why, if he's making $1,000/week does he live with your parents?

If your parents have no problem with you living with him in their house I doubt they'll care if you marry him and move out.

What does he do that pays a 17-year old high school graduate (maybe), $1,000 a week?

Yes, a marriage which is performed legally (based on age) in one State is recognized in others.
    he works at night at a big store.. He does a 3 person job all on his own so he gets paid about 200 dollars a day
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 26, 2012, 09:37 AM
    Why is he living with your family in the first place?

Aug 26, 2012, 09:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Why is he living with your family in the first place?
    He wanted to move out as soon as he got his job but like I said before he's underage and hea parents live in chicago we live in Wyoming and my mom has legal guardianship of him but I was the one that asked him and my parents if he could just live here
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 26, 2012, 09:47 AM
    Why do your parents have legal guardianship? How did they get it?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 26, 2012, 09:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Why do your parents have legal guardianship? How did they get it?

I'm with you - there's something odd about people in Chicago giving guardianship to people in Wyoming.

$200 a day working in a warehouse? I'm having trouble with that.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

A married woman has an affair and gets pregnant by a married man. Married man agrees [ 2 Answers ]

A married woman has an affair and gets pregnant by a married man. Married man agrees to let woman's husband be the "father" believing it is in the best interest of the baby and all involved. Later, man finds out that husband bailed on baby and woman gets on drugs. Woman then gives baby up for...

View more questions Search