Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Tacy Busby Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 7, 2007, 09:11 AM
    Breaking rental lease for medical reasons in Florida
    My husband was recently diagnosed with cancer and wants to be near his family in Key West, Fl. Our landlord in St. Petersburg said we will loose our security and have to pay our rent until the lease is over in July if we give 30 days notice. This is stated in the lease, however isn't there anyway out of this due to the severity of medical reasons?
    landlord advocate Posts: 283, Reputation: 36

Mar 7, 2007, 09:30 AM
    You are obligated to complete your legal agreement. Why not work with the landlord to find a new tenant that will take out a new lease. If you can find someone equal to you in qualifications to rent the property, you and the landlord will benefit. The landlord will have a new tenant for a longer period and you will be on your way to Key West. Ask your landlord for rental applications, put an ad in the paper, show the property. Give the landlord the completed applications and see if he will approve of anyone. Leave the property as clean and neat as possible. You will have to cover the expenses of the advertising and costs involved in ending your lease and starting a new one with a new tenant.
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Mar 7, 2007, 09:30 AM
    I don't think this is possible, if there is nothing in the lease that says otherwise you would have to pay till the end of the lease, you could put ads in the paper and get involved in finding a new tenant to take the apt immediately but I don't think there are clauses to let you break a lease for medical reasons, it would depend on if there are specific regulations about this in FL though

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Breaking a lease due to medical reasons [ 4 Answers ]

I am asking this for a friend, she has a special needs daughter (diabetic, bipolar, mildly mentally disabled, and has a lot of psychological problems from sexual and physical abuse from the time she was born until she was 2 and my friend got custody) When they moved into their apartment, she was...

Florida laws on breaking a lease for work [ 5 Answers ]

I am currently living at my mothers. I have to move out in a month. I work for a storage facility. There was talk about me getting a promotion, so that I would have my own store. That would mean that I would live on the property. I can not live at my mother's any longer. The only apartment...

Breaking a lease for medical reasons [ 2 Answers ]

I am an elderly 82-year-old woman who needs to move out of my third-floor apartment for medical reasons. Is there a way to break a lease without penalty because of this? I have been a tenant of the apartment complex for 23 years.

Breaking rental lease [ 3 Answers ]

My daughter and her boyfriend signed a 1 year lease in August they have since become pregnant the house is very small 1 bedroom no room at all for a baby and all of the items needed to care for one not even room in this apartment for a kitchen table let alone a crib for baby or any other...

Breaking my rental lease [ 3 Answers ]

I am breaking my rental lease because I can't afford the rent and my landlord does not want to what can I do

View more questions Search