Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    violateddebtor Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 23, 2012, 06:09 PM
    What type of debt is a utility bill for establishing debt collection practices
    A utility company for a property we owned sent a unpaid bill to collection. The last payment of the debt was 05/2008. Has the statue of limitations expired on collecting this type of debt. Is it considered "open" debt, or what kind?

In Washington State the statue is either 3 years or 6 depending on the type of debt. So I need to know what utility bills are categorized as.

Also, a side note: the property where this utility was incurred was included in a chapter 7 and subsequently foreclosed. The debt was for the period of May to August 2008 . The Bankruptcy was started in 05/08 and discharged in 06/09

It is the opinion of the collection agency that the bankruptcy does not stop them from collection. I thought that was the purpose of the discharge injunction part of chapter 7 and made the debt uncollectible.

Wouldn't this be a violation of the injunction?

Check out some similar questions!

Utility bill debt [ 2 Answers ]

Is a utility bill debt non valid after six years ?

30 day time limit under Fair Debt Collection Practices Act [ 1 Answers ]

I was told that under the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA) a debtor has 30 days to request validation of a debt after receiving notice from a collection agency that they owe a debt. Is the collection agency under any legal obligation to provide validation if the debtor requests it after...

Fair Debt Collection practices? [ 2 Answers ]

Hey there, I had a summons served to me from a debt collector. I answered it at the court and feel confident about that part. I filed 2 things with the court. One, being an answer to the summons and two being the letter that I sent the debt collector after receiving the summons asking them to...

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.