Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    brooklyn1380 Posts: 12, Reputation: 3

Apr 13, 2007, 11:38 PM
    Yes It Is Legal In Pa
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 14, 2007, 07:14 AM
    And one misses another question what does the parent or guardian of the 16 year old think of this, if they tell her no, then the older man can be charged with interfeing with custody, taking a minor without permission of the parent or guardian,

And the parents can then also seek relief from the courts agasinst the 16 year old if she will not obey her parents and stop seeing him. At this point she could end up in Juv Hall for her actions.

We have looked mostly at the sexual aspect ( which of course wold be the only reason a 25 year old would go out with a 16 year old) but just the pure dating can be stopped by the parents if they want to.
    Geoffersonairplane Posts: 1,195, Reputation: 286
    Ultra Member

Apr 14, 2007, 09:35 AM
    This would be legal in the United Kingdom as long as the woman has reached her 16th birthday but really, the two concerned would be at different maturity levels. This might sound hypocritical because I met my ex when I was 23 and she was 17, so not much difference to what you have suggested.

Things ended (she broke it off) after 3 years being together for the reason that we were at different maturity levels and there was basically too much of an age gap. Between 16 and 25, there is a big difference, something that I opened my mind up to when things went belly up in my relationship.

So to answer the question specifically, I am sure it is legal (in most countries) but in terms of what is best for both the 16 year old and 25 year old, I think they would be unsuited because of this age difference. It is really down to the individuals though and I am open minded enough as long as it is all legal and moral to not judge someone of the age of 25 who has a relationship with a 16 year old.

Bear in mind that you also have to see this from a parents point of view.

I would not go there though.. At 27 now, I am looking for someone more within my age bracket, perhaps even older...

At least women over the age of 25 mostly know what they want. If that isn't me, they probably won't give me the time of day.. LOL
    jody88 Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

Apr 16, 2007, 12:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mikenme0522
    :confused:is it legal for a 25 year old and a 16 year old to date in pa and if not why
    When I was 16 I started seeing a 31 year old man I am now nearly 19 and we're still together and have a 1 year old daughter. It is legal and if its right for you and your happy what else matters.
    JapanMan Posts: 3, Reputation: 0

Aug 5, 2007, 09:13 AM
    Mikenme, it is legal for you guys to be together and if you guys want to be together, then I honestly don't think that anyone should try to stand in your way. Now if you two are walking down the street and he gives you a quick kiss or something you can legally be stopped by a police officer, you'll have to show your id's and all that other stuff. It sucks when they do that, I am currently dating a girl 4 years younger and it sucks when stuff like that happens
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 5, 2007, 12:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JapanMan
    Mikenme, it is legal for you guys to be together and if you guys want to be together, then i honestly dont think that anyone should try to stand in your way.... i am currently dating a girl 4 years younger and it sucks when stuff like that happens
    And I honestly think that ANYONE should try to stand in the way of a relationship like the OP asked about. That the differences between a 16 or 25 year old are very wide. There is very little that I can conceive those two would have in common so one has to wonder about the attraction and whether exploitation is the motive.

You don't say your relative ages (nothing wrong with 4 yrs if the girl is at least 18), but if it sucks to be questioned about it, maybe you should question your motives.

At this age 2 years makes a big difference. If there really is an attraction, then they can wait 2 years when the motives will be less questionable.

Quote Originally Posted by jody88
    When i was 16 i started seeing a 31 year old man i am now nearly 19 and we're still together and have a 1 year old daughter. It is legal and if its right for you and your happy what else matters.
    You are very lucky (so far). Clearly the attraction here was sex and whether you believe it or not you WERE exploited. I also notice you say "still together" not married. Which indicates you are still being exploited. Even if you are the fairy tale and it all works out, its still irresponsible to encourage a relationship like that.
    Ash123 Posts: 1,793, Reputation: 305
    Ultra Member

Aug 5, 2007, 12:29 PM
    Hold on here.

Love is blind but the courts ain't. In PA please consult Title 18 -statute 322.1
    (your boyfriend is too much older than you still it would seem. If you were both minors there might be some wiggle room).
    So, if you are planning intimate relations, and I would guess you are, kindly read on:

-----------------

Pennsylvania
    The age of consent in Pennsylvania is 16 years of age
    A person who is 4 or more years older than a consenting partner who is less than 16 years of age can be charged with the following felony sex offenses: Statutory sexual assault {§ 3122.1} (vaginal or anal intercourse), Aggravated indecent assault {§ 3125} (penetration of the vagina or anus with any part of the perpetrator's body or an object), Involuntary deviate sexual intercourse {§ 3123} (oral sex).

There is no "4 year rule" for the charge of corruption of minors. Additionally, the offense of corruption of minors is nebulously defined, criminalizing any conduct committed by a person 18 years and upwards which tends to corrupt the morals of a person less than 18 years of age. No case law has been found that sex or sexual contact with a person 16 years of age or greater within the Commonwealth has been considered as corruption of a minor.
    The Official PA Criminal Code

The PA Code Title 18.

----------------------------------

If this is just too perfect in your eyes then please talk to your parents if this is a real relationship.

If someone wanted to make trouble, he would be in trouble...

My 2 cents: Get into a good college (I hope he did) and circle back in a year ot two...
    I know that is way to ice your hormones, but just advice you can take for what you paid for it... :-)

Good luck.

A
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Aug 5, 2007, 12:51 PM
    If, by "date" you mean merely keeping company, then yes, it's perfectly legal. Of course, keep in mind that she's subject to curfew laws which you aren't and if she's out past the times specified in your presence you could be held liable. Also she can't go to certain places such as nightclubs and other places where alcohol is served. Again, if you were to take her to any such places, you'd be held responsible. And of course, any form of sexual intimacy and you're guilty of statutory rape and your name gets placed on the sex offenders' registry. You'll then be forever branded as a pedophile, even if you never had any such intention. All of this could result from even so much as a goodnight kiss. Frankly I'd limit my dating to people 18 or older, just to be on the safe side.
    Ultra Member

Aug 5, 2007, 01:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by s_cianci
    If, by "date" you mean merely keeping company, then yes, it's perfectly legal. Of course, keep in mind that she's subject to curfew laws which you aren't and if she's out past the times specified in your presence you could be held liable. Also she can't go to certain places such as nightclubs and other places where alcohol is served. Again, if you were to take her to any such places, you'd be held responsible. And of course, any form of sexual intimacy and you're guilty of statutory rape and your name gets placed on the sex offenders' registry. You'll then be forever branded as a pedophile, even if you never had any such intention. All of this could result from even so much as a goodnight kiss. Frankly I'd limit my dating to people 18 or older, just to be on the safe side.
    Now if that doesn't light a romantic torch, I don't know what will! :D
    JapanMan Posts: 3, Reputation: 0

Aug 5, 2007, 07:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by s_cianci
    Wrong, kissing is under a different category than statutory rape, if you scroll up you'll see where I guy classified all the different charges that could apply to you
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Aug 6, 2007, 03:05 AM
    Do you think a kiss is okay with her parents??
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 6, 2007, 05:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JapanMan
    wrong, kissing is under a different category than statutory rape, if you scroll up youll see where i guy classified all the differnt charges that could apply to you
    You miss the point. Even though just a kiss would not get you bought up on statuory rape charges, it could lead to other things. The point is that an older guy dating an underage girl is a recipe for trouble.
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Aug 6, 2007, 06:17 AM
    Im reading the law that Ash123 posted and it seems like he will be OK no matter what happens, the parents and we might not like it but the law is pretty clear that he wouldn't face any charges.
    Ultra Member

Aug 6, 2007, 06:30 AM
    Lowtax, I see a 4 years+-older issue... Might re-read to be sure, but looks like a legal problem. I'd say it's a no-go.
    Ultra Member

Aug 6, 2007, 07:04 AM
    The first paragraph says if the minor is under 16 he can be charged with...

The second says "there is no 4 year rule", all he can be charged with is corrupting a minor due to the age difference, but then again it says consensual sex does not count as corrupting a minor. This probably relates to getting minor to drink / do drugs etc.
    nicespringgirl Posts: 1,237, Reputation: 187
    Ultra Member

Aug 6, 2007, 07:09 AM
    Even if it's legal, it is not moral. What do you want?
    Better back off, and think about your intention.
    Ultra Member

Aug 6, 2007, 07:13 AM
    It's also worth mentionning this is a post originally from March, so whatever happened already happened. They probably dated and broke up by now.
    Ultra Member

Aug 6, 2007, 07:35 AM
    HA!

Well, if we are wrangling about legal minutia, the odds are it is not a match to be cherished... I still see some issues, but, as they say - it's old news...
    logan007 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Aug 6, 2007, 09:10 AM
    Ohh that's kind of tough, if the age gap was the same but she was older that wouldn't be so bad, I think your a little to old for her, I know it may be legal (with a good lawyer), but if it was my daughter I wouldn't be very happy.
    babz888 Posts: 52, Reputation: -5

Aug 6, 2007, 10:20 AM
    Well am 15 and am dating a 29 year old... I love him and wudnt change him for the world!! I fink if yous are happy together... go for it... xOx:)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

A pregnant 16 year old by a 14 year old [ 7 Answers ]

I have a 16 year old girl who is prenant by a 14 year old boy. Can she or he get introuble in the state of MO by law. I'am I doing right by Not letting she see him or talk to him... What should I do... They Say they love each other all the time... Love Buddy and Melani :confused

Is it legal to kick my 18 year old student out? [ 1 Answers ]

I can no longer handle having my 18 year old kid in my house... is it legal to kick him out in the state of Georgia even though he is still in high school? He has done no drugs or anything illegal... he just refuses to obey. Thanks.

Full-year for Federal, Part-year for State ? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am an alien and comply with the qualification for full-year tax resident for Federal, but not with my state's where I should be considered as a part-year tax resident. Is it a problem if my status are different for federal and state, or does my federal status "overwrite" my state status...

6th Year F1, Converted to H-1B last year [ 3 Answers ]

Hi ATE, Thank you so much for everything you have done for all of us. I really really appreciate your help and advice. You are THE man! My case is like that: I came to US on F1 in 08/2000, and had been on F1 until I got my H-1B visa on Nov. 1st last year. From last May to last Oct. I...

View more questions Search