Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rosieislinda Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 23, 2012, 01:41 PM
    Served papers for credit card
    I was served paper work from he district court by the Sherri's dept. I called the attorneys office that sent this and the had the info from bank of America credit card that I owed. They say I owe 6000 and per my records that is correct. I am trying to get them to take less. I know I owe this a giod idea to pay this off?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 23, 2012, 01:54 PM
    This is the issue?

How much actual money do you have in the bank to write them a check ?

Are you working and how much do you make at your job?
    ** I don't need to know this but think about it.

If you are working with a couple thousand in the bank, why should they settle for less, they sue you get a judgement, they get your bank account money, all the money you have in the bank and then 25 percent of your paycheck each week.

So what is their motivation to settle ?

Perhaps all of the original amount, minus all of the additional collection fees
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 24, 2012, 06:52 AM
    It depends on who owns the debt. If BoA still owns it I doubt if they will settle. But if it has been charged off and/or sold, they may be willing to settle.

The problem is they will only settle for a lumpsum payment.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Being served legal papers for credit card debt while in jail [ 1 Answers ]

He will be released from jail in March. Can he file bankruptcy if the credit card company hired a lawyer and he is served papers.

Served for Credit Card Debt [ 12 Answers ]

I was served last week from a law firm for an old debt of about $1700. It says if I do not reply within 20 days I will be sent a date to show up in court. What exactly is it that I need to do within this time frame? If I plan to attend my hearing do I just not reply and show up? I dont have an...

Court papers served on a paid credit card bill [ 1 Answers ]

How do I respond back to the superior court on a summons that I have paid the bill in full. I have a letter written by the collection agent that states that I have paid this amount in full. What court papers do I need to fill out because they have requested "a written response in proper legal...

Served papers on old credit card [ 1 Answers ]

My 73yr old mother has an out standing balance on a credit card that was turned over to collections in 2003. She was making monthly payments to a collection agency and later in 2004 she received a notice saying that they were no longer handling the account and would be later notified of someone...

Served a complaint for a old credit card [ 35 Answers ]

I was wondering how I answer a complaint served to me by a law office for an old credit card debt. I know I have 30 days to answer, I believe I have to answer my complaint to the clerk and the law office who had the complaint served. I am in a town just outside Atlanta GA. What exactly do I put in...

View more questions Search