Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Amo3373 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 23, 2012, 09:09 AM
    Acl questions after surgery
    I am 3 months out of surgery. I still have swelling(not bad), numbness and moderate to severe pain. I am also experiencing wobbliness and feeling like I am over extending it. Plus it cracks/pops. Then add the heat it feels 10 degrees hotter than the good need. Is this normal? What can I do to help it progess better? I can't afford pt
    :0(
    anillaK7 Posts: 30, Reputation: 5

Aug 23, 2012, 09:32 AM
    ACL repair has an over 90% success rate, and 3 months post op is about the time all activities are normal again.

Have you had a follow up appointment with your surgeon? It's not only important to have your first follow (2 weeks out) to check for infection and remove sutures/staples, but you should be having a 6-8 week follow up to make sure everything is still going smoothly. If you already did these steps, that's even more strange...

I would see a doctor.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 23, 2012, 09:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Amo3373 View Post
    I am 3 months out of surgery. I still have swelling(not bad), numbness and moderate to severe pain. I am also experiencing wobbliness and feeling like I am over extending it. Plus it cracks/pops. Then add in the heat it feels 10 degrees hotter than the good need. Is this normal? What can I do to help it progess better? I can't afford pt
    :0(

"Rehabilitation and return to normal function after surgical repair of an ACL tear can take nine months or more. There needs to be a balance between trying to do too much work in physical therapy returning strength and range of motion and doing too little. Being too aggressive can damage the surgical repair and cause the ligament to fail again. Too little work lengthens the time to return to normal activities.

More than 80% of people who have surgery to repair their ACL have good return of function and lifestyle. Less than 10% of patients develop permanent knee instability.

For patients who do not have surgery to repair a torn ACL, 50% have a fair outcome with no knee instability."

Torn ACL Symptoms, Causes, Treatment - How long does it take to recover from a torn ACL? on MedicineNet

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can recovering from acl surgery have anything to do with urinating while my dog sleep [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 12 year old husky, recently she had ACL surgery. She has been starting to urinate in bed while sleeping. She recently urinated on the furniture while sleeping. This only happening since she had the surgery.

I been out the hospital for two months now from acl and mcl surgery and I feel clicki [ 2 Answers ]

I been out the hospital for two months now from acl and mcl surgery and I feel clicking in my knee is that a bad thing...

ACL surgery [ 16 Answers ]

I'm looking for objective opinions of those of you who might have been through a similar situation Our 50 lb. Aussie/Beagle mix is 7 years old. The vet recently determined she has a torn ACL. She said the surgery is elective... Obviously it's expensive (quoted nearly $1,600) and no surgery is...

Acl surgery hamstring or patella? [ 2 Answers ]

I'm 15 years old, complete tear of ACL, need reconstruction surgery, hoping to play college baseball, what's the best tendon to use hamstring or patella? Dr wants to use hamstring, but I hear the patella is the best to go for athletes. Also worried about what effect removing hamstring or patella...

View more questions Search