Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kweber Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 7, 2007, 07:38 AM
    Coleman Gas Furnace Lockout
    I have a Coleman Evcon gas furnace in my garage, and when the temperature outside gets extremely cold (like 14 deg right now) the furnace will lockout and not re-light. The garage door is pretty shot, so this furnace has been exposed to the elements for a number of years... I have had a professional check it out... I believe he cleaned the flame sensor, but now the only option he's giving me is to replace the entire unit.

Would trying to raise the temp in the garage help? Is it too cold for the flame sensor to work properly?

Any other suggestions?

I can usually get the unit to light by turning the power on/off after the lockout, and after 2 or 3 attempts it usually lights.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 7, 2007, 03:18 PM
    Is your flame sensor a thermal couple? Thermo couples look like a slender cooper tube with a 1 inch long aluminium tube on the end, slightly larger. The aluminimum tube sticks into the pilot light to sense the flame. If this is what you have extreme cold can make it malfunction. Just light it two or three times and it should build up enough heat to open the gas main.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Mar 8, 2007, 11:42 AM
    Most residential gas valves are not rated to operate in that low of temperature. Sometimes the temp range will be posted on the valve. If not look up the valva at the manufactures site and see if the low temp is causing the problems with the valve.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Coleman gas furnace trouble [ 6 Answers ]

Coleman gas funace, model #7680C856 for mobile home worked great last year but since cold season hit, can't keep home warm (especially at night where it has been as low as 50 degrees). Thought it might be the thermostat so replaced that with new one but same thing. Thermostat clicks, burners...

Coleman Mobile Home LP Gas Furnace [ 9 Answers ]

I have a Coleman 7900 Series LP gas furnace in a 1988 mobile home that is used as a weekend cottage. During the winter, the furnace works fine when we are in the home and the thermostat is set to 68. When we leave, the thermostast is lowered to 45. When we return 1 to 2 weeks later, the furnace is...

Coleman LP Gas Furnace [ 2 Answers ]

I salvaged a Coleman (model # 7975a856) Heat and Air unit from an old trailer. I got rid of the air portion with the intention of using it to heat my shop. It has four wires that ran to the old thermostat. (I don’t have the old thermostat.) They are red, white, green and blue. I do not know what...

Coleman gas furnace [ 1 Answers ]

I was having problems with my gas furnace. I replaced the ignitor which failed but it seems the ignition control may be locked out. Can they be unlocked or do they have to be replaced?I notice there is no power coming out of the ignition module to fire the ignitor. Any thoughts would be...

Coleman gas furnace won't stay on [ 3 Answers ]

Coleman gas furnace Model 7665-856, about 25 years old. Regulator and thermalcoupling and thermostat all replaced within last two or three years. Problem appears same as "THISAWAY" asked about 11/25/06. Furnace blows for about 45 seconds then shuts off. Burner appears to stay on when blower stops....

View more questions Search