Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    VioletSkies Posts: 9, Reputation: 2

Aug 22, 2012, 01:09 PM
    How do I get my parents to allow me to quit soccer?
    I have been playing soccer ever since I was four years old, at the time I really enjoyed the sport. But recently, I have been noticing that I don't find much fun in it. As well as not enjoying playing soccer anymore I have found that I have, in a way, lost my skill. The reason for this may be that I don't have an interest in soccer anymore, but I find that it has become a lot tougher and it's something I'm not so sure that I can handle. While I do like a challenge, I don't see the benefit in it for anyone, including my team members.
    I have already asked several times if I could quit before the season started, and made very reasonable and clever points during the debate. I also offered that if they don't want me quitting because of health reasons that they should allow me to join another sport such as cross country or track. All the same, my parents seem to think that I am very good at soccer and they don't want me to "lose what I have".
    Personally, I think that this is more for their benefit than mine. You see, the two of them never played a sport for as long as I have and I feel like they want me to either play to make them feel proud, or to build up my self-esteem. Unfortunately, the season has already started, and I know that it would only waste my parents' money if I quit now. But anybody have some advice for how I could avoid playing next year?
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Aug 22, 2012, 01:52 PM
    As a parent I never wanted to encourage my child to quit anything. I was worried that if he quit when things got tough, it would become a bad habit. I was also worried that he would not learn the rewards that come with going through some difficulty and struggle, being willing to be bored, to work through failure and prevail in the end.

At the same time, starting a sport at 4 should not lead to a life-long obligation. And there are benefits to trying a variety of activities to find your passions and talents. I think the thing to do would be to tell your parents that as much as you have enjoyed soccer, you want to be done playing competitively after the current season. Promise that you will stay involved in sports, and let them know what you'd preffer to participate in such as, you mentioned, track.

The key here is honesty with both yourself and your parents. If you want to stop because it's tiring or you are missing a TV show, I think your parents are right to keep you in it. It doesn't sound like your reasons are immature or shallow like that though - it sounds like you've given the sport your all and have outgrown the interest. It also sounds like you want to be involved and active, only in a different way. Keep being mature about it, avoid whining or complaining, and make sure your claims are honest and genuine because your parents know you well enough to know if they are being snowed. Hopefully they will come around in time.

Good luck to you. And have fun, whatever you do!
    VioletSkies Posts: 9, Reputation: 2

Aug 22, 2012, 04:45 PM
    Thank you so much for the wonderful advice. Unfortunately, when it comes to soccer my parents aren't interested in me playing recreational because they say that "when you move out, you don't go back" so I will most likely have to quit soccer altogether. I would once again like to thank you for showing me what me quitting soccer might be like from my parent's point of view. But my father always had wanted me to widen my horizons when it came to playing sports, and I'm sure that he'll be very excited to know that I now want to participate in multiple activities.

-Love yourself and the world will love you. <3
    ----VioletSkies----

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Quit Claim Question - Husband quit claiming to wife? (no divorce) [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I'm in the process of finding out how to proceed with a quit claim on a piece of residential property that I purchased in my name only, but after I married my husband. We live in GA (and in the house in question). My understanding is that since I purchased the house after we married, and...

If I have P.O.A. Over my parents can I sign a Quit Claim Deed to myself as P.O.A. [ 10 Answers ]

I have P.O.A. over my parents and they are trying to keep Jr. from trying to claim their land because he has the same name as my dad so they want to Quit Claim Deed it to me so that I can sell the land for them without Jr. interferring. Can I sign for dad because he has dementia even though the...

My mom won't let me quit soccer [ 12 Answers ]

I'm a sophomore in high school and I'm on the varsity soccer team. I've lost my passion for soccer and its high stress to play because we practice 6 hours everyday during the summer until October. I just want out but my mom says working out at the local gym isn't enough to replace soccer. She says...

Should I take emergency leave of absence and then quit or just quit immediately? [ 4 Answers ]

I have to leave job for which I did not have time to notify my employer 2 weeks before I quit. My planes changed so fast. I have to quit immediately, but I I still have my shift schedule for tomorrow. I work at Starbucks as barista. Should I make call and tell them that my car broke and cannot come...

View more questions Search