Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ldobson Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 22, 2012, 12:30 PM
    How to lay horizontal rebar in a cinder block root cellar.
    I want to build an 8'x8' root cellar with cinder block. I will place 1/2" rebar vertically every other hole (one per block). Can I lay 3/8" rebar horizontally between courses of cinder block, since I want a 3/8" morter joint anyway?
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Aug 26, 2012, 05:00 AM
    Welcome to AMHD.

I am not a mason but have done a lot of block work.

If u use same rebar as motar joint, u will weaken the holding power of the mortar because the block will actually be seating on the rebar.

Need a larger joint or smaller rebar.

Chuck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is the difference between a cinder block and a concrete block? [ 2 Answers ]

I am working on a basement bathroom renovation in a basement built in 1969. Fasteners for the firring strips state they are not to be used in cinder block walls, but are OK in concrete block walls. How can I tell what I have?

What is the right concrete and rebar method for a 2' high cinder block wall 60 ft lon [ 4 Answers ]

I am a homeowner and need to construct a cinder block wall 2ft high and 60ft long. I have dug a trench in clay type soil 16in deep and 16in across. No one (people I have asked) can seem to agree if I need rebar. I am using Quikrete #1101 concrete out of the bag and mixing it in a wheelbarrow. There...

Rebar in block wall footing [ 9 Answers ]

I'm building a 3 foot block retaining wall, have a 2 foot wide, 2 foot deep footing dug. How many horizontal pieces of rebar should be in the footing and where should thet be placed?

Difference between concrete block and cinder block [ 1 Answers ]

What is the difference between concrete block and cinder block when used in a home's foundation? What makes cinder block less desirable?

How to use rebar in a block wall [ 4 Answers ]

:confused: I've read all the answers on How to build a cinder block wall using re-bar and concrete. My question is: How is the re-bar set in the footing to secure it and keep it standing straight up. Is the concrete put into the footing, a cinder block put down onto the wet concrete and then the...

View more questions Search