Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    11789 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 22, 2012, 12:00 PM
    Hollow drain sound
    When toilet is flushed, tub drain sounds like there is draining in to a hollow barrel.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Aug 22, 2012, 12:45 PM
    There is probably a P-Trap missing under the tub. Check it out and let us know. Back to you. Milo

Aug 22, 2012, 01:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Milo Dolezal View Post
    There is probably a P-Trap missing under the tub. Check it out and let us know. Back to you. Milo
    Thanks Milo. I am unable to get under tub, but I closed the tub drain in the tub, flushed toilet and all sounds normal. Now what? Thanks.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 22, 2012, 01:12 PM
    Hi 89 and welcome to The Plumbing Page at AskMeHelpDesk.com
    I have a different take then Milo. Milo thinks there might not be a tub trap while I think that's where the sounds coming from. Let me explain.
    Vents are there to relieve suction caused by draining water, If a vent's blocked the suction has to relieve itself some where, In your case the tub trap. The sound you hear is the suction being pulled through the water in the trap. Your solution would be to snake and clear the bathroom vent. Good luck, Tom

Aug 22, 2012, 01:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1 View Post
    Hi 89 and welcome to The Plumbing Page at AskMeHelpDesk.com
    I have a different take then Milo. Milo thinks there might not be a tub trap while I think that's where the sounds coming from. Let me explain.
    Vents are there to relieve suction caused by draining water, If a vent's blocked the suction has to relieve itself some where, In your case the tub trap. The sound you hear is the suction being pulled through the water in the trap. Your solution would be to snake and clear the bathroom vent. Good luck, Tom
    Thanks Tom. Will get someone to snake vent and see what happens. Will let you know.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 22, 2012, 01:44 PM
    Please let me know if that helped. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Drain recently started gurgleing sound [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, with the help of some great people on this board I replumbed my bath 2 years ago. It has worked flawlessly. However, just recently, the shower drain has started gurgleing. It only does it once in a while, but it has never made a sound in the 2 years since new. Nothing has changed in my house...

Tub drain pipe dripping sound after shower [ 6 Answers ]

After I use 2nd floor bath tub(shower pan), I hear a dripping sound inside the wall. The sound lasts long when the shower is taken long and it lasts short when the shower is short. Luckly (^^) I have not found any water mark on the kichen ceiling which is directly below the upstair bathroom and on...

Laser gun sound from the bath drain [ 3 Answers ]

After my bathtub is drained it starts making laser gun sounds "peeerrro" (I don't know how to spell it). It will make the sound and as soon as it stops begin again, then again, on and on until they get longer and eventually stop. Over the last week it has been getting louder. I don't know if it...

Drumming sound coming from the bathroom drain pipe [ 3 Answers ]

Help please! I installed a new sink in my bathroom and I changed part of the PVC drain pipe so it would fit the new sink. The problem that I'm having is when I drain the water from the sink it make a drumming sound at the end. Can someone help? Thanks, menatwork.

Sound from drain pipe [ 1 Answers ]

Loud knocking sound from drain when hot water runs down?

View more questions Search