Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    matazar Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 17, 2003, 02:41 PM
    Electron shell
    What are electron subshells and how many electrons can fit in them? What does this have to do with bonding?
    Thanks,

-Matazar
    marzipan6 Posts: 9, Reputation: 3

Sep 21, 2009, 06:31 PM
    This is a quantum mechanics question, so I hope you're looking for a quantum mechanics answer. All atoms have an infinite number of electron shells, whether they are filled or not. I`ll just focus on the first three shells - s, p, and d. The s shell is just 1s, a sphere. The p shell is divided into two subshells 2s and 2p - s being another sphere and p being 3 peanut shaped orbitals of 2 electrons each. The d shell is divided into three subshells - 3s, 3p, and 3d - s being another, larger sphere, p being another set of peanut shaped orbitals, and d being a set of four clover shaped orbitals and one that looks like a donut around a peanut. That might be more than what you were looking for, but I hope that helps

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Drill holes in shell [ 2 Answers ]

What is the best, most efficitent, cheapest way to drill a holes in shells. I have lots of shells that need to get small holes drilled in them, but it seems that shells are very hard and it takes an incredibly long time. I have used a hand drill with an ordinary drill bit and it worked OK but took...

Turtle with soft shell [ 2 Answers ]

I bought two baby turles two weeks ago, and they both have soft shells. What can I do to help them, they just started to eat this week.

What type of ion is formed when a neutral atom gains an electron? [ 5 Answers ]

What type of ion is formed when a neutral atom gains an electron?

Shell Browser - Help [ 2 Answers ]

I know I had asked this question someone before and I cannot find the answer at the moment. So I decided to start a new thread just to deal with this issue. Sorry about that. I have now have this pop up and I do not know what to do. I think this is appearing because I just put on Spyware blaster...

View more questions Search